Skates

hockeyI've lived in Toronto all my life and I follow the Leafs closely, but I don't think I've been on ice skates in about fifteen years. I realized this the other day when I signed up my son for a local "Learn to Play Hockey" program. This particular class requires that a parent join the child on the ice as they learn the fundamentals of hockey. Each session is wrapped up with a fun game of hockey.

Our first class is Saturday, and I don't own a pair of skates. I played organized hockey until I was thirteen, and then I got out for some games of shinny at Rennie Park in high school, but I haven't been on the ice since.

I don't think James will be the only one needing practise out there but I'm glad this is happening. I needed a reason to get back out there. It's embarrassing being a Canadian hockey fan who doesn't own ice skates.

Mike Kic

Booner,

At least you learned how to skate.....I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know how to. A few friends tried to teach me in my university days, but I gave up. Can you believe a Canadian, who follows hockey religiously, who can't skate? Now that's terrible! Good luck out there.

December 4, 2007 @ 11:54 AM

Jamie

Mike,
I'd almost think you were American. You keep saying "ice skates". It's like referring to hockey as "ice hockey".

Jamie

December 4, 2007 @ 12:05 PM

james edgar

I too have not skated since i was 16 or so. I would love to play hockey again but I'm too embarressed.:(

December 4, 2007 @ 1:10 PM

Andrew

I agree with Jamie. You do sound American saying "ice skates". Now go sit on your sofa couch!

Me? I can't skate, I was never able to pick it up as a kid. I could never master stopping. I could glide and turn but stopping......shiver.

December 4, 2007 @ 1:59 PM

Toronto Mike

Ice skates is to differentiate it from inline skates because I was a big time Rollerblader for years... eh.

December 4, 2007 @ 2:35 PM

Toronto Mike

Maybe I should start a support group for hockey loving adult Canadians who are ashamed they either can't skate or haven't skated in years.

We could all learn to skate together.

December 4, 2007 @ 2:46 PM

chris

This is somewhat shameful. Cdn. kids who don't know how to skate. It's like U.S. kids not knowing how to throw or bat a baseball or a European child who can't kick a soccer ball.

December 4, 2007 @ 2:53 PM

Toronto Mike

Hey! I played organized hockey until I was 13. There's proof at this page: http://www.torontomike.com/2005/10/the_worst_team_i_ever_played_f.html

December 4, 2007 @ 3:12 PM

Alison

I hope you and your son love playing hockey together as much as my husband Matt and son Quinn do. I have to admit to loving going to the games and seeing Q out there on the ice with Matt behind the bench. It really is fun. There is so much negativity about minor hockey but in our experience it's a lot of great kids and Moms and Dads out there sharing the love of the game. My daughter even has fun hanging out with the other "little sisters"...Can be very social for the parents too!! Enjoy!!!Can't wait to hear about it.

December 4, 2007 @ 3:35 PM

Jamie

Mike,
Now's the time to start your own out door rink.
Only my oldest plays hockey, but my two younger kids love to skate. With the rink in the backyard, we (ice)skate as a family all winter.

Helping my Dad set up the rink and skate on it with my older sisters is definitely one of my fondest memories as a kid.

Jamie

December 4, 2007 @ 3:43 PM

The Toronto Traveler

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I played hockey for about 10 years when I was a kid, but since about midway through high school, 6-ish years ago, I've not been out to the rink. It's unfortunate, but I hope to rectify that sometime soon.

December 5, 2007 @ 4:06 AM

Roshan

I'm like shocked. Toronto Mike u haven't skated in that many years!!!!

Its like an Indian who hasn't had a curry in the equal number of years!!!

December 6, 2007 @ 9:08 AM

Toronto Mike

Or a Canadian who doesn't drink beer!

December 6, 2007 @ 9:12 AM