I'm Sick of Those Sick of Political Correctness

crossI used to rant more on this site. Something would irk me, and I'd ramble on here sharing my two cents with the world. It felt good getting it out there and I'm not sure why I stopped ranting so much. I think things just stopped bugging me.

This, my friends, will be an opinionated rant. It's not a clean point, that is to say, it's a reaction to an overreaction. There will be some dots to connect, so don't even bother reading this until you've had your morning coffee.

When I was young, this was Christmas. It was "Merry Christmas" everywhere. Most Torontonians were Christian and celebrated Christmas, so we called Christmas trees what they were and had Christmas parties and Christmas gatherings. We celebrated the season named for the birth of Jesus Christ.

At some point, this became politically incorrect. After all, those of the Jewish faith don't celebrate Christmas, and many new Canadians aren't Christian and don't celebrate the birth of Christ. The word Christmas was weeded out of the public sphere. It became "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays". "Merry Christmas" stopped appearing in ads for fear of alienating and offending non-Christians. This is how it's been for some time now.

I'm sensing a growing voice from those who feel the pendulum has swung too far in this regard. I sensed this in comments left on this entry I wrote yesterday. Those who celebrate Christmas don't like "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Holidays". They want "Merry Christmas", after all, it is Christmas and the majority of Canadians are Christian. As anonymous just wrote on that entry:

I am so sick of this political correctness! This time of year, the tree represents the wilderness that Mary and Joseph were in, the gifts represent the gifts from the Wisemen etc… this is all about Christmas. The direct translation is Christ’s Mass. Christ the Christian/Catholic leader and the Mass is a celebration of his life. Why do we Christians have to shut-up and give up the true meaning/name. Why do we have to transform and be made to change or be beaten down for the name of our celebration. We do not ask that of any other religious group and we sit back and take it in the name of correctness, and that is just plain wrong. No one seems to have a problem with taking the time off that companies offer in the name of Christmas, or if they work making double or triple time. So if someone wishes you a Merry Christmas that is a blessing not a slap in the face. I see no problem with the card or the message it was from their heart and their belief's and that is what matters, it's not a message that is being forced down anyone throat it's a wonderful shared gift.

I am so sick of people who are sick of political correctness. I'm not the most religious guy, but I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools all of my life. I even went to St. Michael's College at the University of Toronto. I'm also totally comfortable with the removal of "Christ" from the public sphere. I don't need to hear "Merry Christmas" in governmental communique, at public school recitals or at company parties. I'm totally fine with "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays".

If you have an issue with this new wave of political correctness craziness, learn to live with it. When you send cards to your friends, you can say "Merry Christmas". When you have a party at your home, you can call it a Christmas party. If you're surrounded by secular holiday greetings understand that it's not all about you. It's about us, and we don't all believe what you believe.

Let's keep religion where it belongs, in our homes and hearts. Outside of our homes and hearts, let's not only be cool with the absence of Christ, let's demand it.

Andrew

I think there needs to be give both ways. In my opinion it comes from the fact the Christmas is celebrated by these organizations but not acknowledged. The malls will have a "Holiday Tree" when it is a Christmas Tree, there is no changing what it actually is. A name doesn't change it's symbol. These same trees will have Angels and other very Christian symbols on it but that doesn't seem to be the problem. It's the name that is the problem.

For me I don't really view Christmas a celebration of the Birth of Christ. He was born in the summer!!! I view it as a time with my family where people just tend to be a little nicer and (it sounds really hokey) but a Christmas spirit. I think there should be a little more understanding that Christmas is part of Canadian culture and that it needs to be accepted as part of living here.

On the other side, I think people (like anonymous) would explode if retailers wished their patrons a Happy Kwanza or Chuannaka. There needs to be give both ways. I would love to see these non-christian holidays celebrated as well.

December 20, 2007 @ 11:35 AM

Ray

I'm reading a lot about the 'immigrants' and 'new Canadians' who aren't Christian. I would like to point out and remind people that there are many Canadian borns, such as myself, who are not Christian. So, don't be so presumptuous as to blame everything on immigrants.

That being said, I would like to point out that even though I am not Christian, I find it very important to remember what is being celebrated on Dec. 25. To take Christ and Christianity out of Christmas is an insult to Christians and an act of succumbing to the commercialism that has commandeered this otherwise holy day for some. I will be taking my young son to church with his Christian grandfather on Christmas eve so he better understands what this celebration is for. If it was just gifts and candy, it could happen any other day/time of the year. If you do not want to acknowledge the celebration of the birth of Christ, which others believe in, then you have no business partaking in anything Christmas.

Christmas is a RELIGOUS event!

Merry Christmas!

December 20, 2007 @ 1:20 PM

Ajax Mike

Let us not forget that Christians themselves orginally chose December 25th to celebrate the birth of Christ in order to coincide with Pagan celebrations already in place.

So yes, Christmas is a religious event. It just doesn't belong to Christians alone.

We're doing nothing different in the modern world. We're simply taking a pre-existing holiday and extending it to everyone. Seriously, why is this such a crime?

December 20, 2007 @ 2:21 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannakah, what friggin difference does it make, the fact is it is some one wishing you well so take it for what it is. who cares how they say it.

December 20, 2007 @ 4:06 PM

Stacy Rouble

I think for myself who is non religious looks at christmas in a different light. I look at it as a time that my family, only once a year, all get together and has a big feast. Ya we give gifts and in my life it has turned to be too materialistic in my views but I still like it and enjoy it. If I was another faith I would probably celebrate that as well. I would be there with open arms to celebrate others faith and would want to see what it is all about and learn from it. I think it is crazy to take the word Christmas out of everything. People know what the holiday is and even if you say Happy Holidays....some people dont celebrate anything so why are you saying it? For myself I am not taking anything away from the Christians by not saying that Christmas is not releated to Jesus as you get to celebrate it as you want it. I want to give my kids a part of CANADIAN heritage and I do so by giving them Christmas and Easter and Victoria day and Thanksgiving and Canada Day. Nothing should change and I dont care if "new" Canadians dont like it. I dont think we should change this aspect. I am sorry it has not just been part of the "home" life or just stays in our hearts and it should never be that. I think it should be celebrated. We should be still able to say Christmas. I want my kids to know that it is the time to put all differences apart from the feelings you have toward family members and be together and happy. My kids like it because the one time of the year the get a whole wack of gifts....And you know what that is what I liked as a kid. Now I like the fact of getting together with family. You dont have to be political correct all the time because there is nothing to be political about.

December 21, 2007 @ 8:59 AM

Naim (Toronto)

I am not of Christian faith and I celebrate Christmas in a non-religious way, the way I see most people, christian or non christian celebrating it. By that I mean buying gifts for others and spending time with family, good food etc. I think that Christians of all denominations should stand up for your religion and defend the fact that its your religious holiday. Yes while there may be people celebrating kwanza or chanukah, fact is its been a statuatory holiday for the longest time under Christmas and nothing else. When someone exclaims to me to "have a merry christmas", religiously it means nothing to me, however I know it could only be a good wish, and so I take it as such. I have to say I have become affected by the move to say "enjoy the season" or similar greeting seeing that I am in the hospitality business and while "Merry Christmas" used to be a commonplace gesture in the past, I have received some nervous responses and looks from the customers. I would like to let you all know that you have to include the aetheist in your assesment,not only other religious groups because contrary to what most believe personally I have received the most "resistance" if one wants to call it that from this group. "The late Yasser Arafat, past Palestinian leader and muslim by name/religion , maybe not a good example, used to go to the Church in Jerusalem every year for Christmas. I believe its very possible that other religious groups can and do respect and accept others.I am curious though to know where exactly this controversy began and why if anyone has an answer please offer.

December 22, 2007 @ 11:33 AM