Edge 102's Top 102 of 2007

radioMy radio is tuned to 102.1 as I listen to their top 102 countdown of 2007. I can't remember the last December 31 I didn't do this, it's sort of an annual tradition of mine.

This year I'll record the top ten live as I listen. Reload this page every few minutes and you'll get an updated list. When it's done, I'll throw my two cents at the bottom of this entry.

1. Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
  2. Incubus - Anna Molly
  3. Alexisonfire - Boiled Frogs
  4. The White Stripes - Icky Thump
  5. Finger Eleven - Paralyzer
  6. Linkin Park - What I've Done
  7. Tokyo Police Club - Nature of the Experiment
  8. Rise Against - Prayer Of The Refugee
  9. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh)
  10. The Fratellis - Flathead

Only two songs appeared on both this CFNY list and my personal top ten of 2007. There would have been more overlap, but I delisted a few of their picks because the song was released in 2006.

Nothing shocking here. I'm still surprised at how overrated that Finger Eleven song is. I'm not a huge fan of that Chili Pepper song, either. I'm a big fan of 60% of this top ten, including their choice for #1.

Bonus thought: How old is Martin Streek? He's been on the Edge forever. Seriously, I can't remember listening to 102.1 without Streek. He's got to be pushing 60.

That's it for me, I'm logging off for the year... Happy New Year everyone.

Mississauga Mike

Happy new year!

Wow, sorta surprised at both the top 2 but I like Incubus so I don't mind. Don't quite agree with Silverchair or Alexisonfire as being in the top 3 really when Icky Thump and others were MUCH bigger hits. Like Rise Against on there but not sure if it's top 10 worthy, I loved that song when it came out.

Have a great night and take care in the new year!

December 31, 2007 @ 8:00 PM

dale

Not a fan of 102.1 but my top 5 DOWNLOADS for 2007 -
1. Young Leaves - Attack in Black
2. Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups.
3. Soul Meets Body - Deathcab for Cutie
4. Rally - Ill Scarlett
5. Chimes & Churchbells - Attack in Black.
Not bad for an early 50 year old guy.
Have a great 2008.

December 31, 2007 @ 8:27 PM

Fredericton Steve

Happy New Year Mike!

December 31, 2007 @ 8:29 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Thats not a bad top 10....
Martin has been on since 89 I believe. I have no idea how old he is but he stll rocks. He hasnt changed his style and he still does what he does better than anyone else on the station,

January 1, 2008 @ 12:14 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I stopped when it turned into the top 102 songs and they only played one song each and it became more of a boring excercise than something entertaining. It was cool when they would play more than one song per band back in the day.

Also I think you need you get out of the house

January 1, 2008 @ 12:07 PM

CQ

Here's a bandname list of singles I liked in 2007:

Jaguar Club, Lodger, Mighty Six Ninety, Mission District, Stars, Thieves Like Us, Tegan & Sara
Editors, Feist, Minipop, Rakes, St. Vincent, Wombats
Crowded House, Spoons (unreleased songs), Springsteen

January 1, 2008 @ 1:41 PM

J9

Martin is in his early 40's...no where near 60. Seems to me he started doing the club thing with CFNY in high school?
I can't disagree too much with the top 10. Surprised to see Lazy Eye at number one, although it is a great tune. It has been an amazing year for Finger Eleven, regardless as to what you think of Paralyzer. Cheers to a great 2008!

January 1, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

Toronto Mike

Yeah, I was kidding about 60... but it is neat a guy in his 40s can still do his thing with all those 20-somethings at the Edge. Good on him.

January 1, 2008 @ 3:51 PM

ageist

Streek, Bookman and Cross are all between 45-50

January 1, 2008 @ 6:20 PM

Toronto Mike

Bookie's that old? I had him at 35...

January 1, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

nancy

Streeks' bio is here:

he was born in 52. whoa. in Turkey. whoa x 2.

May 27, 2008 @ 1:46 PM

GG

Martin might just be the last remaining 'personality' on that station that I actually enjoy listening to. Because most of the time, he says what he wants to. (Or at least, I get that impression.) However, I think that much of his new banter during the Th30 is forced. Trying to me too much like Alan.

August 7, 2008 @ 1:45 AM

GG

Nancy, that bio of Martin's is Joe Strummer's. Did you miss that at the end?

August 7, 2008 @ 1:49 AM