My Ten Favourite Songs of 2007

musicOh 2007, where have you gone? It seems like only a year ago you showed up, all fresh and new. Now, it's time to say goodbye.

It wasn't easy trying to come up with my ten favourite songs from 2007. I had "Nature of the Experiment" from Tokyo Police Club on here before I realized it was released in 2006. Same for "Lazy Eye" from Silversun Pickups. Then, I had a couple of Arcade Fire tunes on here before I started making cuts. It turns out I like Neon Bible better as an album than a collection of singles.

Here's my 10 favourite songs of 2007 complete with videos so you can hear the great tunes you missed this year.

10. "Flathead" by The Fratellis

9. "1234" by Feist

8. "Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn & John

7. "The Last Fight" by Velvet Revolver

6. "The Pretender" by Foo Fighters

5. "Empty Walls" by Serj Tankian

4. "Backed Out On The..." by Kevin Drew

3. "Is There A Ghost" by Band of Horses

2. "Take Me To The Riot" by Stars

1. "Icky Thump" by The White Stripes

Fredericton Steve

Neon bible beats any of those horrible singles you just posted.

December 29, 2007 @ 11:15 AM

Toronto Mike

Fredericton Steve, you don't like a single one?

"Keep the Car Running" could have made this list easily... it was really a toss up at the end.

December 29, 2007 @ 11:24 AM

Fredericton Steve

...and because its not far to comment without posting my own.

1. Wilco - Either Way
2. Arcade Fire - Antichrist television blues
3. Eddie Vedder - Big hard sun
4. Neil Young - Dirty old man
5. Arcade Fire - Keep the car running
6. Kings of Leon - On call
7. Smashing Pumpkins - tarantula
8. Rush - FarCry
9. Bruce Springsteen - Girls in their Summer clothes
10. Neil young - Ordinary people

December 29, 2007 @ 11:25 AM

Fredericton Steve

1,2,3,4/the last fight/the pretender/icky thump would all make a top 10 least favorite songs of the year list if I were so inclined. But thats the beauty of music. Different strokes for different folks.

December 29, 2007 @ 11:28 AM

Toronto Mike

Does anyone else want to throw down their top 10? No judgements... Kanye can make your top 10... it's awesome during the Raptor intro.

December 29, 2007 @ 1:02 PM

Mississauga Mike

No love for the Arctic Monkeys? Ah well.

December 29, 2007 @ 6:50 PM

Ottawa (formerly Charlottetown) Mike

I liked most of your list (especially Kevin Drew and the Fratellis) but here's mine:

1. Pretty much all of Joel Plaskett's Ashtray Rock. If I had to choose one song off there I'd probably take Snowed In
2. Arcade Fire - Intervention
3. Wintersleep - Weighty Ghost
4. Two Hours Traffic - Stuck for the Summer
5. Bruce Springsteen - Gypsy Biker
6. Buck65 - Wicked and Weird (not sure if this was 2007 or if I just heard it for the first time this year)
7. Weakerthans - Civil Twilight
8. The Sadies - What's Left Behind
9. Bedouin Soundclash - 12:59 Lullabye
10. Arcade Fire - Antichrist Television Blues

I also had high hopes for Jim Bryson's new CD but I didn't like it as much as I had hoped to.

December 29, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

A.R.

I agree with your number one. Seven Nation Army was also a number one for me when it came out.

December 30, 2007 @ 2:43 PM

Jason | Get Your OJ.com

I've been doing a list of 30 songs.. here's the thing Mike.. a lot of UK stuff comes out the year before, and vice versa. So, I'd say bending the rules is ok, depending. Some of mine don't come out here until 2008 in fact.

Ottawa Mike... good number one choice.. I didn't put mine in an order.. seems pointless.. but I did include Joel Plaskett. Part Three will be up today.

December 31, 2007 @ 9:45 AM

Jason | GetYouOJ.com

Update: My list of 30 started days ago, with other honourable mentions is now up. I didn't miss any of your songs because.. well let's face it there were on The Edge every 2 mins... if you want a glimpse into what other parts of the world are listening to, check out my list. Although I am happy that a handful of Canadian acts made my list. It sucked cutting Tegan and Sara

December 31, 2007 @ 10:48 AM

Toronto Mike

There are three songs on my list that I never heard on CFNY.

They are:
* Feist
* Kevin Drew
* Band of Horses

As for the other 70%, it makes sense the local "new rock" station would play "popular" new rock singles.

I like the Joel Plaskett too... I have a lot of Joel Plaskett in my collection. And I haven't heard the new Tegan and Sara yet, but I will when I get my ass over to Kic's house.

December 31, 2007 @ 1:17 PM