Aqsa Parvez Tragedy

question markThe juxtaposition is jarring. Tonight I watched my three year old daughter perform a ballet routine. Watching three year olds dance ballet is just about the cutest thing on the face of the earth. With every twirl and every step I beamed with pride. Then, my thoughts turned to Aqsa Parvez.

Aqsa is the 16-year old Mississauga girl allegedly murdered by her father. Reports suggest Aqsa's father was upset she shunned the hijab, a traditional shoulder-length head scarf worn by females in devout Muslim families.

I've never given Michelle a spanking. I've never spanked James, either. I can't imagine what would make a father so angry he'd attack his 16-year old daughter and kill her. I can't comprehend how such a thing could happen. Aqsa never had a chance.

Our children rely on us, look up to us, depend on us. Our duty is to give them every opportunity in this lifetime. We're their advocates, protectors and guides. The Aqsa Parvez tragedy dumbfounds me and saddens me.

I just don't get it...

SoccerMom

Hey Mike the even sicker part is her family, specifically her brother, was involved in trying to cover up what happened. Also if this had happened in the family's home land it would have never even made the news.

December 12, 2007 @ 9:21 AM

anonymous

First of all; it was obviously wrong for the father to kill his daughter. How can we confidently say that he did it on purpose and not by accident? Keep in mind that he called 911, regretting what he did. The media keeps saying the father killed her for not wearing the hijab. What if there was something more to it? By doing more research I found that Aqsa was a rebellious child. For Muslim parents, their children are the most important thing in the world. That is why most of them leave their position's as doctors, lawyers and engineers to come to Canada to provide a good future for their children, by working as cab drivers and working in factories. If you see your whole life collapse in front of you it becomes pretty frustrating and angering. Obviously this is not an excuse and what he did was wrong but i guess he could not take his daughter going out and having sex. As for the brother he was probably just trying to protect his father.

December 12, 2007 @ 6:23 PM

Toronto Mike

Hey anonymous, you keep writing that you're not making excuses for Aqsa's father, but you most definitely are.

"Aqsa was a rebellious child" - from what I've read, she sounds like a typical 16 year old Canadian girl.

"If you see your whole life collapse in front of you it becomes pretty frustrating and angering" - It's normal to become frustrated and angry with your kids. It's not normal to lay your hands on your daughter in response.

"i guess he could not take his daughter going out and having sex" - I guess he couldn't. It's too bad this is how he chose to stop her.

Anonymous, why try to justify something that isn't justifiable? I'm not bashing the Muslim culture, I'm just not going to tolerate this kind of reaction.

December 12, 2007 @ 7:02 PM

MississaugaGirl

I graduated from Applewood heights...my brother was her classmate and friend. I personally didn't know her but I can so relate to her problem that i feel a strong connection with her as if she was my bestfriend. Aqsa was just a child who didn't deserve to die. Being a muslim woman and having been through highschool and all the social pressure myself I can relate to Aqsa identity problem but what teenager can't? Her DAD should be sentenced to death or worse he should have to live with the guilt forever, allowing it to eat at him to the point where it drives him crazy. I wish i new her, i wish i could've given her some advice that might have saved her life.

December 12, 2007 @ 9:35 PM

Aziz

Salaams Friends,

This is a terrible tragedy and members of Muslim community needs to recognize, first that human rights victims in Islamic countries, like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan to name a few is predominantly women, this is not simply a cultural issue or conflict between liberal western values and conservative Muslim values but the role Muslim leaders play, in explaining their Faith, Rise in Fundamentalisms is witnessed with rise in death and Mayhem amongst Muslims from Afghanistan to Iraq.

Comments by some Muslim leaders and organization in Canada has been very disappointing from blaming the victim, to blaming the Media. to blaming the west to acussing and silencing anyone questioning the merits of Hijab (head Scarf)point blank insisting this is mandatory, such subliminal, mental abuse must stop.

My apologies to Muslim brothers and sisters, my argument is not against Islam but our failure as community to challenge misogynist attitude amongst us, and statements like people kill people not Guns (Religion)as the case may be.

Peace

Peace

December 13, 2007 @ 11:32 AM

Adil Javed

I am a muslim. No one can justify in any way what her father did. At the end of the day, a life was taken away from a living body, which is an unforgivable sin in EVERY religion. No justifications, muslim parents learn a lesson here! If you dont wanna let yoru kids live like others in their community, pack your bags and go back to where you come from. Thats the only solution. If you wanna live here...... you'll have to put up with the stuff that you dont like about this society. This is how world goes....... Nothing saddened me more throughout this whole year than the news of this 16 year old innocent having to die just because an ignorant father didnt have a better way to educate his kid(s).

December 13, 2007 @ 4:37 PM

moe junior

ya yo this is not good but u have to compromise with u r family styll hang the girlz father revenge is begin

December 15, 2007 @ 2:06 AM

Jane

The above says it all! I am a caucasian Candidan and agree with the previous statment.

December 15, 2007 @ 11:09 PM