17 and Out: A Toronto Tradition Ends

podcastNow that both Humble and Fred have publicly stated it, I can finally write this entry. There will be no 18th Annual Humble & Fred Christmas show. Not on the radio or in podcast form. After 17 years, this annual Toronto tradition has come to an end.

Fans of the show will tell you this streak wasn't really in tact anyway. Back in 1991 Humble was at CKFM-FM while Fred was still at CFNY and in 2005 the show went on without Fred who had been relieved of his duties at Mix 99.9. Still, we all got together for the 18th annual show last December, against all odds, and it felt awfully special.

That's right, I said "we". I was invited to Dan Duran's house that Saturday morning we recorded the podcast and I took a bunch of pictures. Although I've known there would be no 18th Christmas show for some time, I had no idea I was witnessing the end of an era on December 16, 2006. At the time, I assumed we'd be doing it all again in December 2007. I was wrong.

As a fan, this truly sucks. The on-air chemistry between Humble Howard and Freddie P was awesome. They complemented each other so well, and watching them do their thing was like watching a long-time married couple complete each other's sentences. As a fan, I think it stinks that I can't hear another podcast and laugh my ass off.

On a personal level, it saddens me. I've grown quite close to Howard, we chat often about a variety of subjects and hook up whenever possible, and lately I've spent more time chatting with Fred and getting to know him. Both guys are solid citizens with unique talents and it would be a treat to watch them share a mic one more time. I root for both in their post-Humble & Fred careers, but it's tough when you think they're better when they're together. Like a long-time marriage, it's not necessarily forever. They've moved on, and so must we.

As I mentioned last month, I secured a complete backup of the old humbleandfred.com and I'm hosting it for posterity's sake. You can revisit the 17th Annual Christmas Show web page and listen to last year's podcast. You can stream it from that page, subscribe to the podcast or download the MP3. I covered all the bases. Trust me, it's a year old, but it's still hilarious. And now, it's bitter sweet.

Below is me, Bingo Bob, Fred Patterson, Dan Duran, Scary Bald Headed Pete and Humble Howard Glassman after we recorded the 17th and final Humble & Fred Christmas Show on December 16, 2006.

The Gang

For waking me up every weekday morning of the 90s, for making me laugh and for helping me through both high school and university, thanks...

CFNY Guy

Best morning show in the city. Those were the days.

A tip of the mug for H+F.

December 4, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Alright a tear just welled up. For what its worth, I hope something transpires, Im not giving up on there one day soon being a resurection of the H&F show somewhere.
They truly did wake me up every morning of their stint on CFNY, I couldnt roll out of bed without hearing their catching jingles that would often times poke fun at themselves. I Still play the 97 CD in my car just to hear them.

December 4, 2007 @ 9:57 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I showed my gf from winnipeg that podcast last month. She asked why they were so funny yet no longer on the radio. I told her there was no good answer.

Still, in this case I'll take your advice and move on and look forward to hearing about their new projects.

I'll always have good memories of visiting them in Brampton for a high school project I ended up acing, at the edge of Bathurst and Bloor, and Youge and Dundas at Mojo on Norton in NY, and at the Mix at St Clair.

In fact, H&F started at the Mix one week after I came back to Toronto and it took me that week to piece together what the heck was going on!

We all have our H&F memories and maybe that's the place where we can all throw down our arms and enjoy some stories. I'd love to hear everyone's H&F memories. I guess this year it's all we get!

December 5, 2007 @ 8:46 AM

Megan

H&F were the only show to make me laugh out loud in the car. I miss the show so much! Alas, I've turned to satellite since I can't stand listing to any other morning radio show or the music they play. There will only be one morning duo for me! Humble and Fred forever! :)

December 5, 2007 @ 8:48 AM

Andrew

I remember listening to H&F in the early 90s. My first real solid memory was actually a commercial bit they did with Dan Duran about buying a Ford. Fred and Humble made fun of Dan and then eventually Fred drove one and liked it.

I think it was around that time that Goohead called Oprah to get Opera tickets.

My crappy moment on the radio was a little blurb from when I called into Input 102 after watching the video for the first version of the Terribly Tough Contest. I said that Fred looked like he was missing a Chromosone. They used it and I was thrilled.

I miss them on the radio. Sure Fred gets on Bill Watters sometimes but I can't listen to sports shows. You say music stations are repetitive? Listen to the Fan anytime of the day and without a doubt it will be the same damn thing.

December 5, 2007 @ 8:57 AM

james edgar

My Favourite Morning show of all time. Nobody beats those guys. They are great apart but together they are over the top fantasic. Toronto radio really sucks without them. :(

December 5, 2007 @ 9:22 AM

Anonymous

H+F: RIP

December 5, 2007 @ 9:34 AM

Stephanie

Mike... I can't listen to last year's H&F Christmas again. I swear I listened to it at least 6 times - it's still sitting on my iPod, but the jokes from that day 355 days ago just aren't quite the same when I already know the punchline!

What we need is just one more. Just another hour of 2007 humour... Just a little bit of H&F to keep us going. I guess much like an addict, I still need my 'fix' from time to time.

Humble... your friend here in Oakville needs to hear you.. Fred.. I lived in Brampton for 26 years of my life.. you guys have got to do something to help me out...

Please??