Something to Discuss With Your Daughter

videoThis Dove ad is called Onslaught and it's pretty effective.

I know they're pushing soap products here, but the message is on point. I've got something to discuss with my daughter before the beauty industry does.

Al

Here's an interesting tidbit for you. Dove's parent company is Unilever. Among many of their other beauty-related companies is Slim-Fast. On Unilever's website, they tell you you can have Misha Barton's waves in just 30 minutes, or Paris Hilton's hair, or Nicole Kidman's hair.

October 4, 2007 @ 5:31 PM

twins from bolton

TOO much info. Now you know what you MAY be in for. FOrtunately I have Twin Boys.

October 4, 2007 @ 7:31 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

I took a middle childhood course last semester for my Masters in Special Education and let me tell you its real and its a topic that can be address by not just the parents but teachers should be aware of this too. There is so much advertising for not just beauty products but fashion and popculture aimed at middle school and highschool girls its frightning and if it pushes the right buttons it can lead to eating disorders, depression and a whole host of other things in teenage girls. Brittany Spears and Paris don't help either.

October 4, 2007 @ 8:25 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Newsflash: This is an airbrushed society and even a day old child is seeing altered images of what is ok and not ok to like like.

October 5, 2007 @ 9:57 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Further,

From the Unilever website:

"It's not just girls who can boast of a year-round tan thanks to gradual tanning moisturisers. Now guys can get in on the act – and about time too."

But Dove thanks you for the free advertising.I honestly never would have seen this commericial otherwise.

October 5, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

shane alexander

for someone who doesn't like the ad, you're really giving it a bunch of attention..let me guess you even made a blog about it, too? i wouldn't know. don't like going to sites that i don't find interesting or jut be forced to spread negative energy around...i'm bigger than that.

October 6, 2007 @ 11:21 AM

shane alexander

October 6, 2007 @ 11:21 AM

Steve

Why bother with a soap company using Simian's music to sell you a sense of Daddy-gonna-hug baby?

Funny how the boomers wanna protect their little issue from the very crap they've encouraged. Hey Mike, the kids are alright. Jeez...

October 9, 2007 @ 1:02 AM

Toronto Mike

Hey, I'm not the bubble-wrap type... Trust me, I have a long leash. This isn't about buying a sense of Daddy-gonna-hug-baby. This is about a shitty infotainment-celebrity-obsessed society that demands waif-like figures. That's not bubble-wrapping our kids, that's just something to discuss with your daughter.

October 9, 2007 @ 8:54 AM