Ridiculous Facebook Groups

NHLA Facebook friend just joined a group called "John Tavares must play for the Leafs". I'm watching the Leafs right now, currently tied at 2 with the Panthers, and of all the ridiculous Facebook groups I think this may be the most ludicrous.

It's not that I wouldn't like John Tavares in Toronto, in fact, it's quite the contrary. Tavares is going to be awesome, right up there in Crosby-land, and he's already a lock to go first overall in 2009. He will not be a Maple Leaf, unfortunately, no matter how many people join this Facebook group. There is no hope.

We'll never suck enough to get the first draft pick that year, because we like to wallow in that 7-10th spot in the conference. That won't get you John Tavares. The only other option is a trade with the team that ends up with the first pick in 2009, and we don't have close to enough desirable assets to pull that off. The only hope of trading for the Tavares pick is a large collection of draft picks, solid prospects and good, inexpensive commodities. So you see, John Tavares will never be a Maple Leaf.

Besides, the Leafs don't draft great players. It's true, you can look it up.

Mike Kic

Booner,

I'm not ashamed to admit that I joined that group, am I the friend you were referring to?

October 18, 2007 @ 10:53 PM

Toronto Mike

Yes! But I didn't want to soil your good name...

October 19, 2007 @ 8:50 AM

Mike Kic

It's all good Booner, just so you know I've added Jiri Tlusty and John Tavares as friends on facebook....that's a little weird, but whatever.

October 19, 2007 @ 10:11 AM

Toronto Mike

Ask John if he's willing to hold out Lindros-style and insist on a trade to Toronto.

That, my friend, is our only hope.

October 19, 2007 @ 10:12 AM

Ali

Mike,

As you seem to be a trustworthy family guy...What's your opinion of the potential for creepy people finding you on Facebook? My husband is convinced our family will be stalked and harassed by freaky people hunting us down through facebook, urban ledgend or sad fact???

A

October 19, 2007 @ 11:53 AM

Toronto Mike

If you put information into the public domain, you have to be smart about it. I have a list of blogging rules, for example... subjects and details I won't blog about.

If you just share some pictures on Facebook, your interests and superficial details like that, you won't be stalked and harassed by freaky people.

October 19, 2007 @ 12:01 PM

Ali

Thanks! You aren't freaked out by pics of the kids on Flikr or your blog? I'm not but my crazy Leaf fan hubby is...feel like I'm alone in the world by not being on facebook.....

A

PS. Had to work in the Leaf fan comment...Go Sens!!!! Were a broken home so to speak!

October 19, 2007 @ 1:51 PM

Toronto Mike

Sens fans lack a soul. Your hubby is clearly much smarter than you, despite his obvious web paranoia.

October 19, 2007 @ 2:09 PM