Tasering of Andrew Meyer Stuns Me

justiceI just watched video of University of Florida police officers using an electronic stun gun to subdue Andrew Meyer who was questioning Senator John Kerry at a campus forum. The video is so disturbing I'm sorry I viewed it. Meyer was asking a question, didn't threaten Kerry at all, and was quickly cut off, arrested and eventually Tasered.

What disturbs me is how quickly it escalated. You'd think in a University what Meyer was doing would be encouraged instead of punished. It's shocking they cut his mic, disturbing they arrested him and sickening that they used the stun gun.

I hope these cops are arrested next.

terrie

omg iam applauled~wtf is this country coming to? this young man did nothing wrong but ask a question?wtf gives the police or security to tasher him? i hope this young man files a law suit~i be a witness~it also made me sick to watch that a young student sitting for 2 hours listening to john iam a loser kerry to only being arrested beaten and my god has the world gone crazy~those cops need firing like yesterday~what was done to this kid was uncalled for~totally uncalled for~i actually wanted to hear what he had to say to kerry~but as always kerry coward away from it~cant change a lions strips~

September 18, 2007 @ 10:18 PM

terrie

p.s.
andrew hope all works out for you~iam proud of what you did~

September 18, 2007 @ 10:20 PM

terrie

please put an american flag in maggies hand~thats offensive to me anyway~

September 18, 2007 @ 10:21 PM

Stafford

You know what? Another frat boy quoting Skull and Bones and refusing to back the hell up? Taser his nads and let him cry to mama. I'm losing patience with these new media wahoos. Everything I know I've learned from Wikipedia!

Andrew I hope your chest hair doesn't grow back and you live your life in sexual dysfunction you "rebel" you. "Oww. Owwwww."

September 18, 2007 @ 10:26 PM

Mike Kic

Stafford, doesn't America promote freedom of speech? Or is is only freedom of speech if you agree with them, then it's bully you until you do. How can you possibly defend what the cops did? Oh right that's the problem with this world, we still have people like you.

September 18, 2007 @ 11:20 PM

Ajax Mike

I don't have a problem with freedom of speech, but this guy wasn't looking to be heard, he was trying to be seen. He was deliberately trying to provoke an incident, and then he took it too far. He got what he deserved.

According to some reports, even he thinks so:

September 19, 2007 @ 12:36 AM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Holy SHIT Stafford you are fucked in the head.

Get off the fucking radio if you don't beleive in freedom of speech you sad little dinosaur.

September 19, 2007 @ 3:21 PM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Speaking of taking it too far, that's what Stafford just did. There were enough cops to escort the man without being tasered. If you don't believe in freedom of speech, get off the radio you sad little dinosaur.

September 19, 2007 @ 3:24 PM

Dee Nicholson

Stafford, you oughta be locked in a room with Greg Palast, whose book "Armed Madhouse" was in Meyer's hand, and whose question CAME from the book. I'd LOVE to see you try to argue your myopic view with Palast.
Meyer asked Kerry a valid question, which was "Why did you concede the election, when you actually WON by half a million votes?" The question itself brought down the wrath of the multitude of cops that swarmed Meyer. On the video, they had Meyer ON THE GROUND, begging "Don't taser me, man, please don't taser me, bro..." and saying "But I didn't DO anything". Then they viciously tasered him despite having him under control anyway! That is ASSAULT.
Maybe somebody ought to demonstrate to Stafford what it feels like to be tasered, next time he asks a question...
SHAME ON YOU, Stafford...are you wearing your Darth Vader suit today?
Your radio show owes its existence to the very same right to free speech that you would stifle in anyone else, you arrogant sod!

September 19, 2007 @ 3:55 PM

mark

I don't know what's more disturbing, this video or Stafford's comment. Either way it's a sign of where we are heading.

September 19, 2007 @ 5:40 PM

Roshan

I watched it again and it's ringing in my ears. Free speech my butt.

September 20, 2007 @ 1:37 AM

Roger

This Andrew guy obviously wanted to get some attention – since his girlfriend has her camera handy. If he had complied with the cops, there wouldn’t have been an incident. Of course, the fact he was surrounded by a dozen cops, leads me to think he didn’t have to be zapped. BUT, had he went quietly after being cuffed he wouldn’t have been hurt.

More importantly for him, he achieved his main goal in getting this video played around the world a million times.

September 20, 2007 @ 11:28 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

His goals remain irrelevant to the fact that is six cops have you on the ground you DO NOT NEED to be tasered.

This is hardly the first time there has been a story about a university and excessive force with a taser and it won't be the last either.

September 20, 2007 @ 12:48 PM

greyhalo

Guys, you don't understand the economics of the web. Andrew Meyer took a calculated risk that he would not get "tased" and that risk backfired (backfried?). He resisted the attempt to remove him from the forum. The question is whether we have the right to disrupt and disturb assembly. I think he was treated with respect until he threatened a filibuster. Now he is a joke character, right up there with Chris Crocker. Frankly, I think it is irresponsible of him to make a mockery of the concept of freedom of speech. The only upside from this sad affair is the MC Hammer remix on Youtube. "REMIX: "Can't Tase This" UF Student Tasered" He was foolish and self-absorbed and now he has to work on a backstory to attempt to lend legitimacy to his actions. Mr. Meyer is a prankster who got pranked. That is it.

November 5, 2007 @ 10:56 AM

p barnes

we need to show this too the whole middle east we have to teach them about American democracy and that our ways are better and if they don't listen what about invasion so we can bring lots of peace to the ones left alive after the invasion incidently most other governments torture in PRIVATE we do it in public to show we are the land of the free! God bless the republic.....

April 7, 2008 @ 8:30 PM