O'Keefe = Hummingbird = Sony

cn towerNow that I've finally got used to calling the O'Keefe Centre the Hummingbird Centre, they're changing the name to the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts.

Hummingbird Centre, we had some good times together. I'll never forget that Hip concert with Sam Roberts opening or Edward Scissorhands. Memories...

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

You know ill never get the renaming of arena thing just so it has a Coorporate name. Why can't they keep it the Hummingbird center and just plaster Sony Ads all over the place and Sony can have their name on promo's ....The Hummingbird Center is such a great name. Why do Coorporations have to ruin great things...Now its just like anyother place, takes away some of the mystique

September 7, 2007 @ 3:53 PM

Toronto Mike

We should refuse to call it the Sony Centre (of the Hummingbird Centre, for that matter). Let's just call it the O'Keefe Centre in the same way we still call that dome SkyDome.

September 7, 2007 @ 3:57 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

I agree, Skydome will always be Skydome to me. I dont refer to it as Rogers centre...Rogers has their name plastered all over it anyway....Its the same all over...look at the original name of HSBC arena...it was supposed to be Crossroads...a perfect name...instead it gets added to a growing list of arenaa named after banks.
Pilot Field is now Dunn Tire Park...whats wrong with Pilot Field. I still call it Pilot Field because its shorter and a more memorable name.

September 8, 2007 @ 9:28 AM

Trish

The O'keefe Centre changed names to The Hummingbird because of corporate sponsorship. Now Hummingbird Technologies doesn't exist. Refusing to call something it's new name due to growth and new opportunites doesn't help advancement of the venue or the city. I think Sony Centre is a great name and if you paid $10 Million wouldn't you want your name up there?

September 9, 2007 @ 6:17 AM

Toronto Mike

I assure you Trish, I understand why the name is changing. I understand just about everything has a price and $10 mill buys you naming rights for this venue.

I also understand the O'Keefe Centre was named for a brewery, the ACC is named for an airline and BMO Stadium has something to do with some bank.

All of this is easy to understand but difficult to like. I demand the right to hate it. http://www.torontomike.com/2007/06/when_3com_killed_candlestick.html

September 9, 2007 @ 9:39 AM

Trish

OK hate it - no impact on me. This is the way the city is changing. Those who lead our fine city are considering sponsorship and naming rights on city owned property/buildings in order to bring in revenue and cost the taxpayers less. So while you may hate it, get used to it.

September 9, 2007 @ 8:22 PM