The Passion That...

LeafsSpeaking of major league disappointment, I'm a passionate fan of a sports franchise that hasn't won a championship since 7 years before my birth. Every fall hope springs eternal and every spring I'm left feeling depressed and unsatisfied. I feel like Charlie Brown taking another run at the football Lucy is holding.

I don't have passion in the belly for soccer because I didn't play it as a kid and I only really see it once every four years. Conversely, I'm all about the Maple Leafs because I played the sport as a child and grew up watching the blue and white. I'm fully committed to the cause, it's too late for me, but that doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with my team.

The latest Toronto Maple Leafs slogan is "The Passion That Unites Us All". This is true, but glosses over the bitter fact of the matter. I've concocted some alternative slogans that are a little more honest. Vote for your favourite in the comments.

leafs_passion5 leafs_passion3 leafs_passion leafs_passion2 leafs_passion4

By the way, there is exactly 58 days, 7 hours, 58 minutes, and 54 seconds left until the puck drops. Go Leafs Go!

LeafsFan

5 way tie!

August 6, 2007 @ 11:31 AM

Stephanie

Tortures...

August 6, 2007 @ 2:05 PM

Toronto Mike

By the way, if you want to use these wallpapers simply click them and, if you're logged into Flickr, you can view "All Sizes" and access a 1024x768 version.

August 6, 2007 @ 3:16 PM

chris

Torments us all. Scotty, something has to be changed & you have the exp. & knowledge to do it.

August 6, 2007 @ 3:44 PM

Stevo

Bring on Bowman.

August 6, 2007 @ 8:10 PM

mike

They are all correct

August 6, 2007 @ 8:41 PM

Al

How about:

"The torture that insults us all by raising ticket prices every year, charging obscene amounts of money at concessions, while continually mismanaging the team year after year by signing over-the-hill players, not drafting well, resigning lame-duck GMs and players with unfounded potential and goalies who can't stop a puck, that claims to be hockey's center of the universe meanwhile 80% of the other teams, most in 'false hockey markets' have been able to build winning teams with huge future potential, while our team continues to suck and ask for more money."

It might be a little long.

August 7, 2007 @ 9:09 AM

Tim

"Crush" for me. I was 3 1/2 when they won last. Remember the first time a girl dumped you? Its that kind of pain every spring. You put your "heart" into it ... only to be "crushed". However .... love does spring eternal. Go Leafs Go!!!

August 7, 2007 @ 2:11 PM