The Night We Scored 24

blue jaysAll baseball fans are aware by now of what happened last night in Baltimore. The Texas Rangers put 30 runs on the board to win 30-3. It's been 110 years since a team scored 30 runs in a single game.

Blue Jays fans are likely wondering what our team record is for runs in a game. I'm here to provide you with the answer. On June 26, 1978, the Toronto Blue Jays beat up on those same Baltimore Orioles 24-10 at Exhibition Stadium. Tom Underwood got the win and future Jay Mike Flanagan got saddled with the loss. John Mayberry led the way going 3 for 3 with 7 RBIs.

Were you one of the 16,184 at Exhibition Stadium that night?

Exhibition Stadium Seating

Mike H

Since I can't make out the compass due to the scan resolution, lets just assume the upper right point is north.

What's with the seats getting further and further away from the field to the northeast? I presume it had to do with leaving room for the Argos to play too?

August 23, 2007 @ 5:38 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Mike, I also believe that the Orioles was the team that the Jays hit 10 home runs in one game against.

August 23, 2007 @ 8:34 PM

Toronto Mike

Yeah, I scanned that a long time ago and totally cheaped out on the rez. I should dig it up and re-scan it. I know I kept it...

Exhibition Stadium was a football stadium that was sorta re-jigged for baseball. It was never much of a baseball stadium, for obvious reason, but we loved our mistake by the lake.

And yes, we hit 10 home runs against the Orioles in the summer of 1987. I wrote all about that game here: http://www.torontomike.com/2006/07/blue_jays_memories.html

August 23, 2007 @ 8:40 PM

Stephanie

Those seats in the Grandstand were for Bleacher Creatures. General Admisson.... always perfect for an afternoon spring game during the later years of high-school.

August 23, 2007 @ 9:26 PM

Toronto Mike

Even better Stephanie, those $4 general admission tickets were $2 through a Dominion grocery store promotion.

I have so many memories of fights that would break out in the bleachers. When the Tigers were in town, so many would drive in from Detroit and when the Yankees were in town the bleachers would be full of New Yorkers.

$2 to see a ball game... those were great times.

August 24, 2007 @ 8:39 AM

Wandering Penguin

I was at both the 24-10 game and the 10-homer game, luckily. The Jays swept a doubleheader from the Os the night after the 24-10 shellacking - heady times for our sophomore team!

I'd like to point out that the schedule you scanned was from 1988 (it says so in the small print). There was a time when those seats were only $2 and therefore only $1 through Dominion. And the parking at Lamport Stadium was either $1 or $2 as well, so you could drive down to the game, park and watch the Jays for $2 or $3 in the early 80s. My "crew" and I went to in the neighbourhood of 60 games in 1984 because they were so cheap and they were competitive for the first time ever.

Loved having the Tigers in town. Those were the best games for bleacher creatures back then in our prime.

August 24, 2011 @ 10:58 PM