Dean Blundell's Eye Weekly Honesty

radioAs a long time fan of the Humble & Fred morning show, I was poised to dislike their replacement on my favourite radio station. A quick search of this blog for the term "blundell" gives you an idea as to what I think of The Dean Blundell Show. I've never liked it.

I'm not a fan of his radio show, but Dean Blundell also writes a column for Eye Weekly that I do enjoy. I find his radio persona moronic and insulting yet I find his columns bold and titillating. Earlier this month, he wrote about his wife, and I actually read it out loud to my wife because I couldn't believe the honesty he committed to print. His most recent column for Eye Weekly calls out Toronto radio personalities. He doesn't name names, but most of the identities can be guessed fairly easily. It makes for one hell of an interesting article.

My friend Fred Patterson, one half of the aforementioned Humble & Fred Show, posted Blundell's article on his blog and invited readers to guess who's "the paranoid ageing huckster who's ego is the bruised by years of abuse" and "the guy who tells you how awesome he is before he tells you who he is" and the "guy and gal with fake names who's radio careers have more miles on them than Pamela Anderson's knees". It was a highly entertaining entry, but Fred unpublished it. You'll no longer find it on his site. Apparently, Blundell's article is causing some trouble for Alan Cross and The Edge and Fred didn't want to get in the middle of a shit storm.

As it turns out, Dean Blundell makes a great columnist. There's a guy who seriously needs a blog. I know I'd check in daily to read what he's got to say.

Toronto Mike

Here's his radio call out:

Things

By Dean from the Dean Blundell Show
RADIO PEOPLE ARE WEIRD.

If you ever run into someone in radio, run away.

I have a list a mile long of ego centric assholes that seem to think because they have a radio show people seem to care about what they think.

There are the easy listening tards with tv commercials showing them cooking breakfast and starting lawnmowers with floppy hooters.

There's the sports guy who has tv commercials telling you “I don't care if you listen” then the tough guy waddles away like a retarded choir boy with a pickle up his ass. REAL cool.

There's a guy and gal with fake names who's radio careers have more miles on them than Pamela Anderson's knees. Oh and it looks like someone put a fire out on her face with a pitchfork.

There's the girl who can't put an intelligent sentence together to save her life and bitches when faced with her own stupidity.

There's the paranoid ageing huckster who's ego is the bruised by years of abuse. Who treats people like shit unless you can do something for him then he'll give you the cheshire cat smile and bellow some fucked up 80's cliche.

There's the guy who smells like rotten shit and the other guys who think theirs doesn't smell.

There's also the guy who tells you how awesome he is before he tells you who he is. He'll give you his credentials before he gives you a handshake and tells everyone what an asshole you are after he told you how nice it was to meet you.

These are not stereotypes. These are actually people I know or have come across in the last seven years of being here. All of these people remind me of used car salesmen and hookers. their reality is based on something that is vastly different then most.

I'll probably get in shit for writing some of this stuff. No Matter. I am just letting you know should you see any of these people or someone like them, run. Run as fast as you can. They may suck the life out of you like a thousand dollar call girl. At least the call girl has an ounce of credibility and self respect.

August 25, 2007 @ 3:11 PM

james edgar

Well I don't like his radio show either.(NOBDY could replace H&F) But That column about his wife freaks me out. I don't have kids but that uis my life right there! WTF. It makes his negativity a little more understandable . I hope to fuck I'm not as negative as he is but i might be. Damm.

August 26, 2007 @ 4:28 PM

Toronto Mike

Here's what he wrote about his wife:

My Wife Is A Bitch

BY Dean Blundell August 02, 2007 10:08

Not all the time. Most of the time though. It's funny. when you get married you think “yunno what I'll try and give this a real good go and we will se what happens” Well, it has happened.

Every day for the last two weeks we have fought. Nothing major, just a lot of bickering about tying the dog up or why I bought another pair of crocs. Why she feels she needs to clean the fucking kitchen and make us all wait for her to go to the beach. Why she asks what I am doing when she can see that I am reading the paper. Why I didn't get the water right when she asked. Why when I tell my kids “it's time for bed.” she says “oh, don't worry about it, you can stay up.” Or when she's tells me she'll meet me in 10 minutes it's a fucking hour. Or when she buys earring's she bitches at me cause I bought my kids a new bathing suit. When she's says “Desert is food” and tells the kids to finish it all.

I spent the last two days by myself as she was out of town. I missed the hell out of my kids. I love them dearly which is why I am still married. Not cause I worry about them not having us together but I am afraid she's going to bitch them into becoming alcoholic assholes like me. I was afraid she would come back with them...which she did and look the fuck out.

I never understood divorce till I was married and every time I talk to my friends they all share similar stories. I wonder if I should just check out or hang in there because almost everyone else is as miserable as me. It's a weird place to be in life cause you always pity people who have gone their separate ways and you say “Shit, that's me.”

I don't feel this way about all women, just her. So does her whole family. Yet somehow I'm the asshole.

Yesterday after I asked for the third time what was wrong she said I was yelling which I wasn't. When I asked again and she said “If you don't know than I am not telling you”. Then I got mad. She said “See your getting angry.

Maybe I am the Bitch. I am still here.

March 6, 2008 @ 4:58 PM

Car

My personal opinion is that the constant bickering means something is wrong in the realtionship. I mean, people don't fight just because. It could be something lacking or it could be that what once seemed right doesn't work anymore. People drift apart, its a fact of life. People are assholes and bitches - its life. My comment is: Figure out the source of the fighting.. work it out and if you can't, least you can say you tryed.

July 16, 2009 @ 10:07 PM

devon

I think Dean is a huge slice of reality for alot of people. I enjoy his radio show, I enjoy his articles and humour. Something about it keeps me pinned to my headphones so that I dont have to listen to the stuff neck witches I work with bicker about their jobs and miserable lives

April 23, 2010 @ 10:25 AM

Jake

Can't stand the guy. It's such a shame that he gets so much (prime) air time to talk nothing but trash. Cheap, boring (yessssss we all know, sex sells). ANY moron can make a living selling sex. I stopped listening to that station in the morning. It's like being stuck on a school bus with a bunch of 14 year old boys. I tuned this morning.... cuz him and his idiot co-hosts are all on holiday! WONDERFUL!!! They so need to make a change, it's just really boring now.

July 22, 2010 @ 2:46 PM

Alex

Dean Blundell seems to be in alot of emotional pain. For him to expose his family life like that means he is seriously crying for help. Or he is just creating controversy for himself. I first thought he was a wannabe shock jock but I think he is just being himself. Who knows!

December 2, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

john

Late to the game (and very happy Dean Blundell's column was quickly discontinued), but I'm surprised anyone likes these columns of his. They are very poorly written, along the lines of a snarky high school student with poor grammar skills (which is odd since Dean often attacks people on their own poor use of language).

As for 'RADIO PEOPLE ARE WEIRD', with the exception of the "lawnmowers with floppy hooters"--a good example of Dean's poor use of grammar--all of the examples he provides have perfectly described him at various times on his show.

November 3, 2011 @ 10:46 AM

Gump

Since "The Grid" has taken down all the "Eye Weekly" columns, I had to come here to check out the column about his wife.
I just heard that he is getting divorced. I feel sorry about his kids.
Why is marriage so hard?

November 25, 2011 @ 9:57 AM

Leon Higgins

Dean is Ok. I have to turn the station off though, every 7am, when the kids arrive for breakfast. I listen, sometimmes cringing, on the drive from Beaches to Mississuaga. Funnily mostly. Accept that for the freelow humour (rehearsed to a degree) there will be fax pas (in my mind).

Its fine - you can choose it or not so don't complain.

Leon

June 7, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Anna

I cannot believe he didn't appreciate his wife cleaning the kitchen. What an asshole. Sometimes you have to be patient with people. I'm sure his wife was very patient with things he did wrong, and somehow it's all her fault? Yes, women can be overbearing and annoying, but men have their issues too.

July 3, 2013 @ 5:44 PM

anonymous

Separation and divorce is always extremely tough to deal with. It is never easy. Leaving your past life behind and living a completely new one is not something everyone can do.

April 22, 2014 @ 5:18 AM

Marc Di Stephano

The "paranoid ageing huckster who's ego is the bruised by years of abuse" is Bill the Shill Carroll

May 7, 2015 @ 7:41 PM

John

Dean Blundell is a narcissistic brat who suffers from an exaggerated delusional sense of self-importance. His wife must consider herself lucky to be divorced from him. Let's hope his kids possess the maternal temperament of the mixed DNA.

September 5, 2016 @ 11:57 PM