Best Bands That Have Survived 20 Years

musicThe Ongoing History of New Music is discussing bands that were around in the 70s and continue to make music to this day. That got me thinking about my favourite bands that were making music twenty years ago and are still making new music today.

To qualify for this list, the band must have released material in 1987 or earlier and must be still recording new music today. Here's my top ten.

1. The Tragically Hip
  2. Public Enemy
  3. R.E.M.
  4. Beastie Boys
  5. Red Hot Chili Peppers
  6. U2
  7. Blue Rodeo
  8. The Flaming Lips
  9. 54-40
  10. The Cure

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Good list. That last Cure album after Bloodflowers was pretty brutal though. LOL

Love most of those bands.

August 26, 2007 @ 1:49 PM

chris

What about Aerosmith & the Eagles.

August 26, 2007 @ 2:16 PM

Toronto Mike

Aerosmith hasn't been good in years, but if this were a top 20, they'd probably be there.

As for The Eagles, are they even a band still? They wouldn't make my list anyway.

August 26, 2007 @ 2:24 PM

chris

I guess your too young to realize the impact & still have on music today.
That's OK.

August 26, 2007 @ 2:46 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Actually I thought the last Cure CD was pretty good. They have a double CD coming out in October and a new world tour I would have put them top 5.

August 26, 2007 @ 3:41 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

What about Rush?
They are still going strong. Snakes and Arrows was awesome and no sign of an end in sight for them They have released two of their best live projects in the last 5 years in Rush in Rio and R30 and doing 3+ hour shows would qualify them...I would have put them ahead of the hip as big of a hip fan as i am.

August 26, 2007 @ 3:45 PM

Jill

Duran Duran and even tho' They are not my thing.......Bon Jovi have consistly put out new albums and stayed alive.
The who!!!!

And just for you Mike.....Kiss!

August 26, 2007 @ 4:55 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Jill, with all due respect, those are good choices but not top Ten. The Who I wouldnt put in the top ten only because they havent recorded anything worth listening to since Keith Moon died, Duran Duran I would probably put top 20....maybe because their recent recordings havent been exactly stellar.
And Kiss hasnt recorded much new stuff recently so they I think are off the list.

August 26, 2007 @ 6:41 PM

Jill

Buffalo Mike..... I actually agree with everything you said but I remain a die hard Duran Duran Fan. What about AC/DC?

August 26, 2007 @ 7:26 PM

Stephanie

Mike....The Eagles?? I hear they actually have a new one coming out in October, but the last one was 1979... (even thought I 'LOVE' the Eagles....

I wouldn't say Duran Duran... really... they were good then but really not good for long after...

I'm not a complete fan of all the 10 bands listed, but I probably would have put U2 at the top. They are just as popular with the next generation as they were with 'us' in the early-mid-late eighties.

Are the top ten just 'ten', or ranked?

August 26, 2007 @ 7:48 PM

Ajax Mike

Thanks Jill. I knew there was something missing from the list. AC/DC has to be up there.

Of course, these are all Mike's favorites, not necessarily the ones that deserve to be there. :P

August 26, 2007 @ 9:14 PM

Toronto Mike

I did try to rank them, but it's definitely subjective. My top 20 would include AC~DC and Rush.

August 26, 2007 @ 9:16 PM

Coach

Rolling Stones lest we forget.

August 26, 2007 @ 9:36 PM

Roshan

Bon Jovi, The Scorpions, AC/DC, Rush, Iron Maiden...there are other bands!

August 27, 2007 @ 5:14 AM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

I wouldnt put the Scorpions in any top list their last cd they just released sucked...it was overproduced crappy power ballads.
AC/DC has released nothing of note over the last 7 years have they? Iron Maiden hasnt released anything worthy of mention either.

August 27, 2007 @ 6:00 AM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Buffalo Boy, I loved The Cure the better part of my life and honestly that last album pretty much ruined the legacy for me. He's turned into a pardoy of himself. This current line-up is really really tight but come on.. who belives a man that age still feels like the subject matter he writes about? I think they are, simply put, stale.

August 27, 2007 @ 4:31 PM