Bob Marley Steals From Banana Splitz

musicForget all this Avril Lavigne controversy, this is actually important.

Did Bob Marley steal the "Buffalo Soldier" melody from the "Banana Splits" theme song? I think it's pretty clear he did. Listen for yourself.

Al

I think that it's pretty obvious that Bubba was a Banana Splitz fan.

July 12, 2007 @ 1:19 PM

Toronto Mike

It was a show for stoners, so we shouldn't be surprised.

July 12, 2007 @ 1:29 PM

Al

AH! Well as you said in your Avril post...where there is smoke, there is...uh...smike? Uh...pass it on would ya?

July 12, 2007 @ 1:33 PM

mike (Buffalo Boy)

Its close but not obvious. Marley slowed it down a bit.

July 13, 2007 @ 6:27 AM

Gonzo

The 'yo-yo-yo' section of the song is certainly familiar, but the chorus and verse are not even close. You're reaching a bit here...but it's interesting nonetheless...I'd chalk it up to coincidence and not 'theft' as you put it.

Enjoy...

July 13, 2007 @ 12:40 PM

jojo

Anyone who knows even the basics of music structure would tell you this is a note for note rip off. I came to the same conclusion about this after seeing a rerun of the Banana SPlits on tv the other day,then I did an internet search to find I am not the only one to come to this conclusion. The structure and notes are exactly the same. George Harrison was sued for "my sweet lord" for it being too close to the doo-wop classic "he's so fine" ray parker junior was sued by Huey lewis and the news for "ghostbusters" bass line copy of "I wanna new drug" Marleys use of the Banna splits chorus is more of an exact match than all of these put together!

April 9, 2008 @ 7:20 PM