Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend vs. The Rubinoos' I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend

musicIt's been a rough week for Avril Lavigne. First Chantal Kreviazuk called her out over her song "Contagious" and now she faces a lawsuit by the members of a 1970s rock band who claim her hit song ''Girlfriend'' rips off one of their tunes.

Songwriters Tommy Dunbar and James Gangwer alleged in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court that Lavigne and her co-writers lifted their 1979 song ''I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend,'' which was originally performed by new wave band The Rubinoos. I heard the two songs compared on Edge102 this morning, and they're very similar. The choruses are almost identical.

Here's a comparison of the two songs so you can hear for yourself.

Toronto Mike

I actually think both are stealing that chorus from "Get off of My Cloud" by the Rolling Stones.

July 6, 2007 @ 9:49 PM

Toronto Mike

And notice that Avril drops the Mofo bomb in "Girlfriend". Avril, you naughty girl...

July 6, 2007 @ 9:53 PM

Jill

This brings up the subject of so many songs floating through the music atmosphere how can there not be similarities? John Fogerty from CCR was sued for one of his solo albums because a couple of his tunes sounded like CCR tunes that he didn't own the rights for. He did most of the writing for CCR in the first place.

July 7, 2007 @ 9:39 AM

-J-

It crosses the line of "homage" into theft practically yeah. Even the whole theme of the song is the same (granted it's not exactly a groundbreaking theme).

Still though, no one is suing that hack p.Diddy for blatant theft, so can we really justify suing Avril for a lazy soundalike?

July 7, 2007 @ 5:28 PM

Jason

Edge 102 in the morning? :O

July 9, 2007 @ 2:26 PM

Josh

Is it possible that each artist has brought about their own unique flavor to a simple phrase: "Hey, Hey, You, You!" I would have to credit the stones for the original, but Rubinoos and Avril both have interesting pieces built around the chorus. I do think Avril stole more than Rubinoos, but that makes for an interesting question: How much is too much where music copying is involved, and how much can be counted accidental?

July 9, 2007 @ 5:01 PM

Toronto Mike

The most famous case I can think of is George Harrison's My Sweet Lord vs. The Chiffons He's So Fine.

They call it subconscious plagiarism.

July 9, 2007 @ 6:27 PM

alyssa

Are u guys dumda da da dum
avril donsent listen to that crap! how would she possibly know the chours is the same but everything else is way diffrent

July 11, 2007 @ 12:51 PM

pascale

Listen to this..

July 12, 2007 @ 2:12 PM

sally

The only thing that is similar in the two songs is the topic and the "hey, hey, you, you", and that's like it.

July 12, 2007 @ 4:15 PM

syd

she is such a loser. i hate her, fuckin poser.

July 16, 2007 @ 6:29 PM

STEVE VARGA

This goes out to anybody caught up in this mishap. Those accusations against my girl for copyright infringment, are bologney, and they are not quite true, there 2 differnet songs and I can prove it. First of all they have 2 differnt meanings, Avril is a very close friend of mine and I have known her for years. I told her " I LOVE YOU" and I called her my "GIRLFRIEND" I do the rumors are true. Then when she was working on the album they decided to write the track GIRLFRIEND I guess Av talked her band into it. The guy she is singing about is me And this song meant something to me, the song was the bands gift to me, and for these guys to put a lawsuit up against her is unfair, and they should have done their reasearch because I'll try my best to be at the trial and those dummies think she coppied it while this is the truth They didn't , they don't deserve a penny, from this and for them to get a settlement they don't deserve is unheard of. I think they are just jelous of her sucess, In the lyrics av said I meantioned it a lot, maybe AV was right women always are I did meantion it a lot I told her "I love you" every day , for the first time the other day I personally did my reasearch and read the lyrics and This song makes sense to me. I am the only guy out there besides her band that actually understands what she is singing about. I also found five other songs with the chorus starting off with" HEY HEY " This is just a big misunderstanding, this is not a copied version if the song was copied The band would have made it a tribute because they do do tributes, which they have done for a number of other bands in the past.

MY name is STEVE VARGA I am 23 years old and I live 1 hour north of Toronto, for anyone who wants to contact me or leave me their comments you can at

ferencjames@yahoo.ca

I have the real story and for these guys to say she copied a song that menat so much to me is rude. They owe me and the band an apology and thanks for wasting our time and money. I would be willing to do an interview if someone is available and I also can't wait to talk to Tommy and james about this , I am personally going to review this track with them and explain every line of the song to them, For future references tell them they obviously havn't done there reasearch, don't just assume something,and accuse someone before you find the truth.

AV I MISS U

LOVE always and forever

STEVE

July 17, 2007 @ 5:40 PM

lilibeth

you knw whwt, fuck who ever hates avril lavigne, she is my #1 singer in the world, she rocks everyone who says she stold the song is gaytarted , Avril is Dope ( dope means cool,tight, and that she rocks).dont talk unless you know the truth.Love you avril!!!!

May 18, 2008 @ 3:46 PM

lilibeth

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH AVRIL WELL, I GUES YOU ARE RETARTED. I HAVE ALL HER CDS AND I KNOW SHE DIDNT STEAL ANY SONGS.AGAIN FUCK AVRIL HATERS, WITH ALL RESPECT LOL. I LOVE AVRIL I LOVE AVRIL I LOVE AVRIL I LOVE AVRIL

May 18, 2008 @ 3:51 PM

lilibeth

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH AVRIL WELL, I GUES YOU ARE RETARTED. I HAVE ALL HER CDS AND I KNOW SHE DIDNT STEAL ANY SONGS.AGAIN FUCK AVRIL HATERS, WITH ALL RESPECT LOL. I LOVE AVRIL I LOVE AVRIL I LOVE AVRIL!

May 18, 2008 @ 3:52 PM