The Insult That Didn't Insult

baseballI played ball tonight with Raging Storm and once again we were down early before clawing back and taking the lead. This time though, we ended up on the losing end of a tight one.

For the second week in a row, tempers flared. Last week there was the incident with Chris from RobArts Rage and tonight I took exception to some bitching and moaning from certain members of the opposition. One guy threatened to beat me like a red headed step child, but when I got in his face and urged him to follow through, another guy shoved me away and mumbled something about me being "Mr. 1984".

I returned the field and stared this chap down, and he came back with the same "Mr. 1984" reference. Suddenly it hit me. I only play ball wearing the retro Blue Jays logo I know and love from our glory days. His Mr. 1984 insult was in regards to the fact the logo on my hat was from that era.

Did he think this fact would humiliate me or embarrass me? It was the best thing I heard all day and I was honoured. Every once in a while I'll get hit with an insult that isn't insulting at all. You can carve Mr. 1984 on my tombstone and I won't mind a bit. Well, except for the being dead part. That would suck.

Mike Kic

Which guy said that? Honestly was that suppose to be an insult, is that all they had? Now I wish we won that game....idiots!

June 25, 2007 @ 11:06 PM

Toronto Mike

Mr. Baseball was yelling that. He's the dude who broke up my big fight with Mr. Tank Top.

The best part was, he thought "Mr. 1984" was such a diss. It merely filled me with pride.

June 26, 2007 @ 8:48 AM

Al

You're nothing but a blogging, Hip-loving, baseball-playing, Leaf-loving, daddy! That's right...I said it...

June 26, 2007 @ 11:03 AM

Engell

What I find funny is we all have the same nicknames for them, without even saying a word to each other.

Mr. Tank Top
Mr. Baseball
The Werewolf

But yeah, Mr. Baseball was a real tool. I especially liked the "accidental" drop of the line drive as short to try for his little triple play. Sorry it didn't work out for you Mr. Baseball. Better luck next time.

BTW, Mr. 1984 (sounds somewhat "Orwellian" now that I think about it), maybe you should wash that hat of yours!

June 26, 2007 @ 3:46 PM

Toronto Mike

The Werewolf - perfect.

Now I'm worried about the 1984 reference. Big Brother is watching!

June 26, 2007 @ 3:49 PM

Toronto Mike

Or was that 1984 insult referring to my love of Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher"?

June 26, 2007 @ 3:59 PM