The Great Facebook Surrender?

questionmarkA few months ago I wrote about my great Facebook and MySpace resistance. MySpace turned my stomach, and although I had no Facebook experience, I decided to lump the two social networking portals together and see how long I could resist them.

A group of people I run with decided all communication would be done through a Facebook group. This left me with two choices. I could continue my great Facebook resistance and be left in the dark and without running support or I could suck it up and join Facebook. I decided to join Facebook... sort of...

Toronto Mike joined Facebook, but he didn't use his actual name and he didn't share his high school, university or any other identification that would attract old friends, acquaintances and otherwise. Toronto Mike has been on Facebook for a solid half hour now and it's nothing like MySpace. It's actually got a pleasant interface, seems rather intuitive and there's no multimedia being shoved down my throat from parts unknown. It's like MySpace for sensible adults, and that's a very good thing.

This ends my great Facebook resistance. My great MySpace resistance, however, shows no sign of weakness.

anthony

Proof that peer pressure works well indeed.

June 3, 2007 @ 11:55 PM

Annemarie

HA! I knew you'd cave. Now how do I find you?

June 4, 2007 @ 8:57 AM

Toronto Mike

Search for Toronto Mike.

June 4, 2007 @ 9:09 AM

Annemarie

Gotcha. I'm surprised you told me.

June 4, 2007 @ 9:34 AM

Toronto Mike

I actually thought it was pretty obvious.

June 4, 2007 @ 9:36 AM

Annemarie

Um no actually, it coulda been anything.

June 4, 2007 @ 9:58 AM

Annemarie

But I know what you're saying. I thought "Toronto Mike" was/is just the way you refer to yourself because of this site.

June 4, 2007 @ 10:02 AM

Annemarie

I thought you didn't want to be found...

June 4, 2007 @ 10:05 AM

Al

Mike, there are a ton of reasons why Facebook is better than Myspace, but you've cheated yourself of one of the big ones by not using your real name. Perhaps being found by that friend from second grade doesn't appeal to you, but that's one of the things that makes this site so addictive, finding people you haven't spoken to or thought of in years and finding out where they are now. Of course you always have the option of denying anyone who isn't a friend access to your profile. I have reconnected with countless people that I haven't spoken to in years. I used to have a myspace profile and kept on getting strangers wanting to be added as a friend most of them were from adult sites. On Facebook, I haven't been asked once by someone I didn't know. I've always said, Facebook is like Myspace for adults and without the sexual predators. One final plus (and I hope it never changes) I love the fact you can't change the color scheme/layout of your profile page. In skilled hands this is fine, but 5 minutes on myspace can give you a headache with some of the page "designs" and color combinations people come up with.

June 4, 2007 @ 10:55 AM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

I HATE facebook. I don't mind MySpace because it is great for finsing new music.

June 4, 2007 @ 2:52 PM