CanCon Song Dump #9

canadaMy quest to come up with a definitive list of the 100 best Canadian tunes of all-time has the momentum of a Phil Leotardo led assault on our favourite New Jersey crime family.

Here's the ninth dump of Canadian gems. Take no prisoners.

• Maestro Fresh-Wes - Let Your Backbone Slide
  • Mashmakhan - As Years Go By
  • Matthew Good Band - Apparitions
  • Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
  • Metric - Combat Baby
  • Moist - Push
  • Moxy Fruvous - King of Spain
  • Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl
  • Neil Young - Helpless
  • Neil Young - Old Man

Jill

Yeah.....we're finally at Neil Young. Lets just give him this whole slot. My suggestions are.....Down by the river, only love can break your heart, Hey Hey, Harvest Moon, Sugar Mountain, Long May You Run.
And also Martha and the Muffins.....Echo Beach.

June 4, 2007 @ 9:53 PM

Garth

Max Webster....A Million Vacations and Diamonds, Diamonds

June 4, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

Al

I second, third and fourth Max Webster! Also, how can you leave out Pop Goes the World by MWH? For Moxy Fruvous I would also suggest My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors. Not that I think either one of the MF tracks should make the top 100.

June 5, 2007 @ 9:26 AM

Toronto Mike

Ok, A Million Vacations will be added.

As for Pop Goes The World, that's a really, really bad song. Isn't it?

June 5, 2007 @ 9:36 AM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Metric actually deserves to be in there for a few songs. have you added any Bedouin Soundclash yet? and Hot Hot Heat? Leonard Cohen?

I actually heard a new indie band from Canada on UK RADIO... has The Edge played 'em? Ummmm no. Cuz they aren;t Top 40 yet.

June 5, 2007 @ 1:27 PM

Toronto Mike

When I'm out of CanCon song dumps I'm going to through out a final selection which will include Bedouin Soundclash. Hot Hot Heat and Cohen are already there.

Which other Metric song do you think has a shot of making the top 100?

June 5, 2007 @ 1:29 PM

Jill

monster hospital

June 5, 2007 @ 2:37 PM

Toronto Mike

I thought about it, that's for sure... even though it's been hi-jacked by Grey's Anatomy.

I'll throw it on the final short list, once these dumps are done.

June 5, 2007 @ 2:39 PM

Jill

I was slow to board the Greys Anatomy train and have just started watching it this past month (via boxsets). It really does have a great soundtrack to it and in hindsight features so many songs we all love.....well, maybe not all....but screw them.....ha,ha,ha.

June 5, 2007 @ 4:52 PM