The Hazel 5k in 27:50

runningI ran Biovail's "The Hazel" 5K yesterday, my first race of any kind since primary school. It was the first notch in my marathon belt as I seek to transform an out of shape me into an in shape dude who can finish a marathon.

It was a blast. I threw a bunch of my fellow "Learn to Run" clinic graduates into the party wagon and we drove to Port Credit for an inspirational speech by Hazel McCallion herself before Sportsnet "celebrity" Brad Fay announced the start of the race.

This Mississauga Marathon was my first race, so everything was new to me. I had to pin my tag to my shirt and put a chip on my shoe so my time could be accurately measured. This chip records the time you cross the starting line and the time you cross the finish line and feeds that info to this website. My time was 27:50.6 which was quite a bit faster than I ran on Thursday and not bad for a guy who just started to run ten weeks ago. I'm sure I can break 25 minutes later in the summer, but my next goal is a 10k.

Following the race you're awarded a medal just for finishing and the juiciest orange you'll ever have in your life awaits you. That banana was awesome too and the water tasted like nectar from the gods. Throw in a post-race BBQ and you've got yourself one helluva great day.

My buddy Mike took some fantastic photos of the experience with my camera, and here's the Flickr photoset you're dying to see. I'd also like to thank Ale for not crashing my car as she sweetly drove it from the starting line to the finish line. And finally, I'd like to thank Hazel for not running her race and kicking my ass.

P5125590 P5125618

Anonymous

Congrats Mike! That is super awesome! I'm lucky if I can run all the way to the liquor store before closing, and that's only 4 blocks.

May 13, 2007 @ 11:38 AM

Alison

Oops. That was me. In case you couldn't tell by the unrepentent lush content.

May 13, 2007 @ 11:39 AM

Jill

Sounds fun. Congratulations!!

May 13, 2007 @ 1:35 PM

Ale

HEY TORONTO MIKE!!! YOU ROCK!!!! I can't believe you were able to run your very first 5k in a mere 27:50.6 - pretty sure my first 5k was 35:48.5 (34:16.8). Yesterday, I ran the 1/2 in 1:46:48!! So, if I can do that, think of how much you'll be able to improve and kick butt!! Seriously!! KICK SERIOUS ASS!! Oh, and you're welcome for the lack of damage to your car - it was an uneventful drive over to Tim Horton's, accompanied by a pathetic parking job...

May 14, 2007 @ 7:32 PM

Annemarie

Good on ya Mike.

I was born in Mississauga!

May 15, 2007 @ 3:31 PM

Richard

Congrats Mike! and way to go Ale too on a great half marathon time!

May 18, 2007 @ 2:53 PM

Mike

it was a great day indeed and i got to give you 'mad props' for being, in fact, at the top of our band o'merry misfits of aspiring runners.

it's a matter of public record now so enjoy life on top! i just hope you don't let the success get to your head and hopefully you'll remember your running roots when you take down one of those speedy kenyans on completion of your first marathon!!

May 20, 2007 @ 6:05 PM