CanCon Song Dump #6

canadaMy quest to come up with a definitive list of the 100 best Canadian tunes of all-time is the most exciting thing to happen to this country since GaƩtan Boucher won silver at the Lake Placid Olympic games in 1980. I'll be dumping ten tracks every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and then we'll see where we're at before the final list appears on July 1st.

Here's the sixth dump of Canadian gems.

• The Headstones - Unsound
  • hHead - Happy
  • Holly McNarland - Numb
  • Hot Hot Heat - Bandages
  • Honeymoon Suite - New Girl Now
  • I Mother Earth - So Gently We Go
  • Ian and Sylvia - Four Strong Winds
  • Jann Arden - Could I Be Your Girl
  • Jann Arden - Insensitive
  • Jeff Healey - Angel Eyes

Jason Meltzer Patterson

I always forget Hot Hot Heat are Canadian.

They sound so Brit Indie Pop.

Dude, you need some Bedouin Soundclash

May 28, 2007 @ 6:34 PM

Jill

I agree with Jason...you need to give a shout out to Bedoiun Soundclash and Mike I'm disappointed that you overlooked IllScarlett :(

May 28, 2007 @ 8:51 PM

Toronto Mike

1. I haven't warmed up to the whole Bedouin Soundclash thing (you might have noticed their big hit didn't make SLS)

2. I dig the illscarlett singles, but I didn't think they were "top 100 of all time" worthy...

May 28, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

Jill

Okay.....you are definately the steering this vehicle, but good god man....you won't give a nod to IllScarlett but you will to
Alannah Myles - Black Velvet and to Honeymoon Suite - New Girl Now......ugh!!!

May 28, 2007 @ 10:04 PM

Coach

I Mother Earth need some representation. Maybe one day we'll hear more from them. FYI "the quicksilver meat dream" was an awesome cd.

May 29, 2007 @ 1:44 AM

Toronto Mike

Remember, all these suggestions will result in additional songs being added to the final pool we'll select the top 100 from. DS and IS and maybe another IME song or two could be added.

Black Velvet and New Girl Now were both pretty good in their day, weren't they?

May 29, 2007 @ 8:48 AM

Al

Used To Be Alright is my favourite IME track. If you were doing a list of the top Canadian Albums of all time, Dig would have to be on it.

May 29, 2007 @ 9:25 AM

Garth

Honeymoon Suite should be recognized just because they were big enough to do the final song to Lethal Weapon and as for Black Velvet....well I've never seen a stripper that I didn't like, dance to it.

May 29, 2007 @ 9:25 AM