CanCon Song Dump #2

canadaIn case you're new to the party, I'm on a quest to come up with a definitive list of the 100 best Canadian tunes of all-time. To make our lives easier, I've created a new category to collect these entries.

I've also made another minor adjustment. I'm now pulling ten songs each day from my collection sorted by artist. I had to revisit the "A's" just to make sure I didn't miss any diamonds in the rough. As always, comments are desired.

Here's the second dump of ten Canadian gems.

• The Age of Electric - Remote Control
  • Alexisonfire - The Could Be Anywhere In The World
  • Anne Murray - Snowbird
  • April Wine - You Could Have Been A Lady
  • Bachman Turner Overdrive - Takin' Care Of Business
  • The Band - The Weight
  • Bif Naked - Chotee
  • Big Wreck - That Song
  • Blood, Sweat and Tears - Spinning Wheel
  • Broken Social Scene - Cause=Time

Jill

So I notice you are going alphabetically and there is no mention of Bryan Adams......"Summer of 69 or straight from the heart"
Burton Cummings......"Stand Tall","I Will Play A Rhapsody","I'm Scared" or Bruce Cockburn........"If I had a rocket launcher" or "Lovers in a dangerous time"
as for
BTO.....What about "Hey you" and "you ain't seen nothing yet" I personally have to give a nod to Bedouin Soundclash ... "When The Night Feels My Song"
In response to your #1 dump I gotta agree with Al in regards to BNL...so many great songs to choose from. They may need a couple of their tunes to make your final cut. Blue Rodeos "Lost Together" was my wedding song so it remains a personal fave. I also love "Til I Am Myself Again"

May 16, 2007 @ 9:14 PM

Toronto Mike

It's alphabetical, but it's the alphabetical that has Bryan Adams as a "B" instead of an "A".

Bryan and BTO are coming up. You're right though, for some artists I'm going to have to have a few tunes - imagine the possibilities with Neil Young!

May 16, 2007 @ 9:20 PM

Alison

More opinions! I think the only songs on this list worthy of being on the top 100 Canadian songs of all time list would be Snowbird, You Could Have Been a Lady, Takin' Care of Business and The Weight. The rest are okay tunes, but y'know. Best Canadian songs ever? I have to say no. And I think Anne Murray deserves two entries, and I think the other one should be Danny's Song because good god damn I love that song. BTO totally deserves another entry or maybe 2 as well. Going back in time to your last entry, I think Arcade Fire deserves at least one more entry too, and I would suggest Rebellion (Lies) and then either Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) or Keep the Car Running or No Cars Go. But I really effing love that band, and am biased.

So, question. What is your criteria? Honest to goodness great songs? Artistic merit? Chart topping? And are you only picking from your own collection or are you working with other lists to fill in the gaps? I know you have a mighty, mighty collection of music, but c'mon Mike. Is it difinitive? I'm totally just bugging you here, but I am interested to know what makes a song great to you, and is it just the fact that it's by a Canadian that makes the song fit on the list, or do you think there is an element of Canadian-ness (for lack of a better word) that makes these songs fit on a list like this?

(And I went to www.seeqpod.com/music to listen to some of the songs that I was unfamiliar with, and I'm sorry but Big Wreck is very aptly named if you ask me)

May 17, 2007 @ 12:16 AM

Toronto Mike

I'm looking for a blend of "great song" and "popular song" - and although I'm biased toward my personal faves, I'm trying to respect those songs I don't dig but others love.

IMHO, a song like "The Weight" is a shoe in - and a song like "That Song" doesn't really have a chance and is thrown in in the consideration pile as a courtesy to Mr. Thornley.

I'm also making this up as I go along, in case you didn't notice. ;-)

May 17, 2007 @ 8:47 AM

AL

I suppose "Prarie Town" will go under "R" for Randy Bachman or "N" for Neil Young, but I want to make sure it isn't forgotten as it is a great rocking piece of Canadiana!

Winter nights are long, summer days are gone
Portage and Main fifty below
Springtime melts the snow, rivers overflow
Portage and Main fifty below
Portage and Main fifty below

May 17, 2007 @ 9:15 AM

Toronto Mike

Don't worry, I love that song. It will be under R for Randy Bachman...

May 17, 2007 @ 9:16 AM

Coach

I give it to Age of Electric - Remote Control, killer rock tune that stands the test of time.

May 17, 2007 @ 7:09 PM