Okay, This Is The End, Eh?

swearsWe won't dwell on the obvious. Yes, it was close. Yes, John Madden's goal at 19:59 of the third to tie things up was unbelievable. Yes, Sergei Brylin's pathetic attempt to force another round of shooters in the shootout will not soon be forgotten. In the end, we finished a point out of the playoffs, even closer than last year when we finished two points back.

It's over. This is the end. We have another summer to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic and hope a decent goalie falls off the vine and into our lineup. This team needs so much work but with large, cumbersome contracts and a salary cap there isn't much hope.

I had a new masthead ready to go had the Islanders lost this afternoon. I almost got to use it, but almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. Here it is. Go Raptors Go!

Toronto Mike Header

EmmEff

There's always next year...

April 8, 2007 @ 9:00 PM

dale

At least in my lifetime I saw the Leafs parade. Won't happen unless MAJOR changes.

April 8, 2007 @ 9:24 PM

Roshan

Damn shame. I wanted both Montreal & Toronto to make the playoffs.
Make ur team get a new defence.

April 9, 2007 @ 12:24 AM

Al

Oh well, I'm sure it would have been a swift exit in the first round had they made it.

Maybe missing the playoffs for two straight years will light a fire under MLSE's asses to do something right for a change...I doubt it, but a man can dream can't he.

They'll probably go out and sign an over-aged once-great goaltender and a couple of other over-the-hill free agents and try again next year.

Oh well, at least now they won't be compteting with the Raptors for my attention.

Actually, even if they had made the playoffs, they wouldn't have competed with the Raptors for my attention.

April 9, 2007 @ 9:36 AM

EmmEff

Same old story, MLSE won't do anything as long as they keep selling out the ACC (love those acronyms :)

I certainly hope we have seen the last of Raycroft because he truly is a mediocre goalie. When they already have such a questionable defense, they'll need a solid goalie to steal a game or two.

April 9, 2007 @ 4:35 PM

Tee

It all comes back to February 22nd. Leafs vs. Islanders. Sundin scores what should have been a goal that puts the Leafs up 3-1. Instead Kerry Fraser calls it back because Ponikarovski "interferes" with DiPietro (no penalty though or video review). The Leafs go on to lose in a shootout.
At least Fraser wasn't selected to officiate any playoff games, and can join the Buds on the links.

I still say this season was a gutsy effort considering the Leafs lead the league in man-games lost. They also surpassed my pre-season expectations of being 10th or 11th.

April 9, 2007 @ 7:45 PM

Al

Oh GOD! You've got to be kidding me! You're seriously going to lay the Leafs' woes at Fraser's feet again? Do yourself a favour and read this:

April 10, 2007 @ 9:15 AM