Give Til it Hurts

IdolAfter several successful seasons which have enabled Fox to essentially print money, American Idol has decided to use their power to raise awareness about poverty in Africa and at home in the United States. This is all good but why do I feel so cynical about it? When Seacrest celebrates the big $5 million dollar donation from News Corp, why do I scream at the TV that $5 mill from them is like me throwing a homeless guy a toonie. Why am I so jaded?

Oh yeah, the final six sang on AI last night, too. They sang songs from the masters of our time, everyone from John Lennon to Fantasia. Here's how I've ranked them.

Here are my three favourites from last night:

1. Jordin Sparks
  2. Melinda Doolittle
  3. LaKisha Jones

Here are my three least favourite from last night:

1. Phil Stacey
  2. Chris Richardson
  3. Blake Lewis

Annemarie

If it only takes $0.50/day to feed a starving child in Africa, $5 mil. could do a lot. I would've had a problem w/ the fundraising if they WEREN'T helping out @ home too. They should help out all over the world really; that would really impress me.

It kind of made me sick that Simon & Ryan ooze money & they were in poverty in Africa. I wonder if they're shelling out anything from their own pockets. I know most celebrities give their time or resources to some cause or they're looked down upon w/ all that money & we can't forget PR purposes & tax breaks of course, but I notice they usually tailor it to things they really believe in & see the greatest need for, so that's alright. I'd help out homeless & hungry animals & people if I had the time, energy & dough to spare.

As for your choices... the last 2 wks. I don't think LaKisha has been as good as she used to be. It's either song choice or she's lost some of her confidence or maybe both. I'm sure the competition gets to them after a while & not even LaKisha can stand up against the GREAT Melinda (I've been saying for *WEEKS* that she will be the one to take it). I want Melinda, Chris & Blake to be in the final 3, Blake being my favourite & Chris can stand in for Justin (Timberlake) anyday (but do we really need another one? I'm surprised Justin hasn't called him for his sound back, the "nasily" sound, apparently it's a style of singing, who knew? Chris' words to Simon last wk.).

I agreed w/ the judges critiques for all but Phil & Jordan. Simon said LaKisha sounded like she was shouting? What about Jordan? My God, another one of her performances that I just wanted to end. She was off-key in a few parts (didn't hit the high notes like she usually does but she can hold long ones) & my ears were hurting. I was thinking they just didn't want to end a show that was trying to do so much good on a bad note.

Come on guys... to the finish line! Sing like you did in the auditions! (something goes amiss after that).

April 25, 2007 @ 1:14 PM

Toronto Mike

1. I'm not suggesting $5 million won't help, I'm just saying $500 million will help more.

2. I put LaKisha 3rd out of six singers. She gave my 3rd favourite performance last night.

3. I'm starting to think Jordin can win this thing. Melinda is fine, but I think she's pushing 40.

4. Blake needs to do more beat boxin'.

April 25, 2007 @ 1:22 PM

Annemarie

True, but you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Make a petition to Simon, Paula, Randy & Ryan for the extra $495 million, or, maybe they'll raise it otherwise.

Other than ranking Melinda in the top 3, I don't think you're hearing what I am & I believe the AI cut-off is 28.

Blake can sing & the beat boxin's cool, but it's not singing. He actually reminds me VERY much of a guy I had a total crush on for a loooong time who I still keep in touch w/.

Some things I forgot to add... I'm sure a homeless person would appreciate even a toonie & you weren't suggesting that Fantasia is a "master of our time" were you? I can't stand her & Paula said she's unique? Hm, where have I heard that sound before, oh I know! Macy Gray!

April 25, 2007 @ 2:25 PM

Toronto Mike

Annemarie, I hereby banish you from this website.

I believe the reasons are clear...

April 25, 2007 @ 2:39 PM

Annemarie

Clearly, my sarcasm went undetected.

April 25, 2007 @ 4:02 PM

Toronto Mike

How did you get back in here?

April 25, 2007 @ 4:13 PM

Annemarie

I'm good.

April 25, 2007 @ 4:38 PM

Jill

My zest for American Idol waned very quickly this year and I'm not sure if it was because of the whole Sanjaya thing or that I didn't really connect with any of the singers each week. But, I still halfheartedly watch it because my daughter Brooke loves it and I must admit that throughout the season Jordan has gained the most momentum and is Idol worthy. Lakisha fell off the pedastal early on for me and Melinda is good but when it comes to being marketable(which is what American Idol is all about) I'm not sure if she is what America is looking to buy.
Wow.....I just finished listening to Kelly Clarkson sing with Jeff Beck on guitar and it was great.

April 25, 2007 @ 9:34 PM

Toronto Mike

Kelly Clarkson is the only Idol contestant in the history of the show that I've listened to outside of the show.

I saw her with Jeff Beck and it was great.

April 26, 2007 @ 9:09 AM

Annemarie

wth, I tuned in for nothing?!

April 26, 2007 @ 9:57 AM