Flick Off

infoThey launched http://www.flickoff.org yesterday, with the backing of the Ontario government, environmental organizations, Virgin Mobile and MuchMusic. Environment Minister Laurel Broten and British billionaire Richard Branson launched the campaign aimed at encouraging people to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Flick OffIt's sort of tough to discuss the controversy this campaign is causing without showing you first the font they used. As you can see, it intentionally looks like "Fuck Off". The site also uses such phrases as "Go flick yourself," and "Are we flicked?" On the homepage, a call to action says: "We need you to FLICK OFF, and tell everyone you know to FLICK OFF. The more you do it, the cooler it gets. The planet, that is."

I'm not offended by this campaign. In fact, I dig it. It's kinda neat in an "FCUK" sort of way. At the very least it's got us talking about it and will appeal to the younger crowd it's aimed at.

Every kid who will be exposed to this campaign has seen and heard the F bomb many, many times. I've watched episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm with the kids around and they know there are just some words you don't repeat because they will offend some people. It's time we give our kids some credit and trust them to know the difference between vulgarity and this humourous approach to helping them reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Grow the flick up and take a flickin' chill pill. It's no worse than shiatsu for your shitz tsu.

Tee

The best way to get people to flick off is not by an advertising campaign, but to bring in full cost pricing. You wanna leave the lights on, you're gonna pay for it. People respond to incentives.

April 26, 2007 @ 8:02 PM

Toronto Mike

Or, we could do both!

April 26, 2007 @ 8:03 PM

Pete Kic

Mike,

It's irresponsible for a government to be in charge of such a campaign. If kids wore a shirt that stated "f*ck off" to school they would be asked to remove it. It's very hypocritical. My 2 cents. Stating that, I think I'll pick up a shirt. They're kinda cool. My only beef is it's run by the Provincial Government who should be more responsible than that.

April 26, 2007 @ 10:49 PM

Toronto Mike

Pete, I just feel like we're all getting our knickers in a knot too often and too easily.

Everything seems to bug someone. If this was Mike Harris' government, I suspect the Tee's and Pete's would stay quiet on the issue.

Everything is politicized and everything offensive to someone and what else should I say... everyone is gay.

April 27, 2007 @ 9:22 AM

Tee

Mike Harris tried to remove price caps on electricity and it was the left-wing so-called environmentalists that complained, and when Eves took over he caved.
I have no problem with an information campaign, but without incentives, it all goes to waste.

P.S. FLICKIN' Carter

April 27, 2007 @ 11:36 PM

CopySix

I'm just loving that media image with our Environment Ministery Laurel Broten in front of the Flick Off Banner !

She Rocks !

~ CopySix
www.urbexbarrie.blogspot.com

April 30, 2007 @ 8:47 AM

Wes

Hey Mike
I don't like the campaign, to me its not about being offended. Its about respect.
The campaign does use questionable wording and visual expressions.
We all know what a swear word is and it is meant to be derogatory. We also know that the word flick, in this instance, is intended to look like a swear word.
I could swear in french here and few people would notice because swear words in french are mostly "church" words. Which, from an English standpoint, does not seem like a swear word. In Montreal I am respectful when I talking to people especially when I am around their children.

Its the same thing here. We know the difference.

May 1, 2007 @ 7:39 AM