56 in a 40 Zone

carIt's been years since I've received a traffic ticket, but I got one this morning. I was driving a stretch of road with a speed limit of 40km and I got caught going 16km over.

Here's what ticks me off. The copper tells me if I go to court I won't lose any points and I'll just have to pay a $45 fine. That's a hassle, but what kills me is that in 2007 I have to go to court to schedule a court date. That's right, I have to get time off work to physically go down to the court just so I can schedule the date I'll return to get my fine and point deduction reduced.

Why can't I schedule a court date online or over the phone? Why couldn't the cop eliminate this whole process by writing me a $45 ticket with no points deducted in the first place?

The whole freakin' system is out of order!

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

I agree. The same thing happened to me recently. Gave me the ticket then they have you come into court only to find out that if you plead guilty they will reduce it to a parking ticket with no points. Well if thats the case just give me the $125 parking ticket right there so I dont have to take the time off, lose money out of my paycheck that is helping me to pay the ticket in the first place. ITs all messed up. My ticket was for going 30 in a 20 mph school zone a big no no around here. The cop also had a truck pulled over that was blocking the sign that said 20. I was going 30 on the dot though.

April 11, 2007 @ 8:17 PM

Mike Kic

Booner, where did you get busted for the ticket? I got one a few months ago, and trust me I know the hassle of taking a day off of work to schedule a court day. But, what you can do is go to court and ask to fight the ticket the same day. There they will settle the whole thing in one shot, a long day but better than taking two days off of work.

April 11, 2007 @ 10:56 PM

Ray

Another option which I like to take advantage of is...

Go the speed limit!

April 12, 2007 @ 9:12 AM

K

Unless you're in the habbit of getting tickets, just let it slide, pay the $45 and accept the points. Points don't cost you anything as long as you keep yourself down to 1 or 2 tickets every 3 years, from an insurance point of view and less than 6 points in 2 years from a mandatory trip to the judge point of view. Your infractions fall off your insurance and driving record after that amount of time.

Really, who drives the speed limit? Try the left lane of the 403 eastbound through Mississauga on a weekday. There isn't anyone below 140.

April 12, 2007 @ 9:26 AM

Mike Boon

Ray, I've considered that option. 56k didn't seem very fast.

Kic, it was that street that leads to Black Creek Drive.

K, how many points do I lose for going 16k over in a 40k zone?

April 12, 2007 @ 9:31 AM

Mike Boon

I'll fight it. I might need those points. ;-)

April 12, 2007 @ 2:10 PM

Anonymous

Actually I did have my insurance go up because I lost points from a speeding ticket. You should never lose points if you can help it. Insurance companies look upon speeding almost as critically as accidents. To insurance companies they are potential accidents. Fight it!

April 12, 2007 @ 8:47 PM

Annemarie

I still maintain that I'm a good driver as a Scorpio! Astrological signs should be on plate stickers. It could be a new way of dating w/ the chance of finding the man or woman of your dreams AND avoiding potential bad drivers! I love Jason Lee & "My Name Is Earl". Of course, you'll know what I'm talking about when you click on the link: http://www.insurancehotline.com/a10.html

April 13, 2007 @ 2:32 PM