Barbapapa

rewindI recently wrote about The Fables of the Green Forest, a children's cartoon I used to watch on TVO in the late 70s and early 80s. Lori left a comment on that entry asking if I remember Barbapapa. Do I ever!

I loved Barbapapa. I thought the way they changed their shape and that spherical home of theirs was the coolest. Most of the Barbapapa videos being shared on YouTube are in French, but I did find this gem in English. It's not only the opening theme but it's a complete episode. And get this, I remember this episode quite well.

Clickety Click Barba Trick!

Lori

Never thought to look on You Tube! What a hoot and my goodness you reply fast! Thanks for keeping me entertained every night after work!!!!!

February 21, 2007 @ 7:59 PM

Al

OMG! I remember this epsidoe too! Do you remember shows like Today's Special, Read Along, Read All About It, Harrriet's Magic Hats, The Cucumber Club. Can you tell I was a TVO kid too? Then there was taht kid with the magic torch, I forget the name of that one.

February 22, 2007 @ 9:38 AM

Mike Boon

And there was that Simon guy and the things he drew came true... I'm trying to remember The Cucumber Club but I can't.

I'm going to make these TVO memories a series. There's much ground to cover here!

February 22, 2007 @ 9:45 AM

Al

Cucumber club stood for the Children's Underground Club of United Moose and Beaver. It was hosted by a (you guessed it) Moose and a Beaver. These posts are great! I look forward to more!

February 22, 2007 @ 9:56 AM

Lori

Was Sol the french clown i remeber watching on tv and later in french class on TVO do you remember?

February 22, 2007 @ 4:00 PM

Lori

I must ask the French Teacher at my school if they still show those movies in class! Thanks for the link!

February 22, 2007 @ 10:41 PM

Lesley

Oh, I loved the Barbapapas! My favorite was Barbalib (I use her for my avatar on any online sites) and of course, Barbabeau. I remember that episode, too - I also recall one that had them in a treehouse ...

Now for some other Canadian kids TV - how about Circle Square Ranch? And if anyone can give me info about a TV show about a St. Bernard named George who lived with a (I think) Swiss family, you will be my hero! This show may have aired only on NFLD TV, since no one else seems to have heard of it. I remember part of the theme song would go 'trouble is his middle name, but we just call him George' - anyone?

March 6, 2007 @ 11:48 AM

Mike Boon

The only Canadian dog show I know is The Littlest Hobo, but we all remember that one.

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank. Does anyone remember a show about a dog named George?

March 6, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

Lesley

I would be shocked (and mighty pleased) if anyone did.

Ack, now I have The Littlest Hobo song in my head! Amazing that I still know the words after all these years ...

March 15, 2007 @ 11:45 PM

belinda

thanks for finding & sharing the clip. :) I love barbapapa as well. when I grew up, I have only read their books.

I found a store on Queen St West that sells Barbapapa stuff. Got a few of their bowls. Just loved them. :)

March 17, 2007 @ 9:21 PM

swifty

thank you thank you thank you! the theme song has been stuck in my head for a few weeks, and i hadn't heard it since i was about 7 ! How fantastic to see a whole episode 30 years later!

March 18, 2007 @ 7:57 AM

Andrea

The torch show was called "Jamie and the Magic Torch". Search YouTube for the opening. I was so excited to find it, because for, like, literally 20-odd years I had vague memories of this show about a boy who shone a flashlight on his bedroom floor at night, but all my friends thought I was nuts. Vindication. :P

TVO was so awesome. Why don't they re-air these shows? I'd totally watch!

March 20, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

diabolicaldevil

video no longer available :S
ive been trying to get english versions of it

if u got any pls let me know

thanks

October 12, 2007 @ 1:55 PM

Anonymous

I remember George, the st bernard dog tv show.

I watched it all the time.

See the MANY 70s & 80s Videos I have on YouTube :)

'alfcau'

December 29, 2007 @ 3:21 PM

Meems

Video is no longer available and I'm dying to hear a Barbapa say "Clickety-Click Barba Trick!" Where can I find it?

January 16, 2008 @ 7:16 PM

Lisa

This is for Lesley ... a few years late .... lol

BTW ... I remember watching it in BC many years ago, too! :-)

December 5, 2010 @ 5:54 PM

Guy

barbapapa link is gone....help?!? dying to introduce barbapapa....

June 8, 2014 @ 10:29 PM