Andrew Lockington Sheds Light On The Hallelujah Mystery

emailI received a fantastic email last night from Andrew Lockington. He stumbled upon my "A Homemade Hallelujah" entry in which I spread my love for Gord Downie's cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" that appeared in the movie "Saint Ralph". Here's his email.

Hey man,
I was the composer on Saint Ralph and am amazed that the orchestral version of Hallelujah I arranged for Gord has such a following. Thanks for finding a way to get it to all these people.

Best,
Andrew

I then asked Andrew the million dollar question, the question many of us have been wondering about. I asked him why this exceptional song was never released as part of a soundtrack or as a single. Here's what he told me.

There was a soundtrack deal all lined up for the film which included the source music and the two versions of Hallelujah (the orchestral and the acoustic) and a combined version which starts out acoustically and the big orchestra joins in part way through. Someone dropped the ball and didn't get the material to the record label on time. They concluded they couldn't have the CD pressed in time for the film's release, and thus it wasn't worth putting it out. It was a real shame because there'd been a few companies willing and interested in putting out the soundtrack.

It was sure interesting to find your website. The song has been either praised or bashed by a lot of people all over the world. Everyone seems to have an opinion on it. The vocal take used in the film was truly magical. We were all so moved while Gord was singing this take (including Gord). I think it really shows through.

Best,
A

I've been seeking that kind of awesome detail for years and I'm sure others have as well. In fact, I know others have, because my "A Homemade Hallelujah" entry currently has 141 comments.

Thanks Al! To make life easier for all of us, I've created a category for these Gord Downie's Hallelujah entries at https://www.torontomike.com/gord_downies_hallelujah/.

Jamie

So how can I get a copy Mike?
I've never heard it before.

Jamie

January 18, 2007 @ 12:16 PM

Jill

How incredibly cool that you were able to get a response to this musical mystery that you and others have been pondering for so long.

January 18, 2007 @ 8:53 PM

Doug

HI Mike,
I love that song and I love The Hip, but I have never heard Gord Downie's version. Would it be possible for you to email it to me.
Cheers,

January 19, 2007 @ 8:23 AM

Robyn Pennay

I'd love a copy of Gord Downie's Hallelujah. I saw Saint Ralph recently and LOVE his version of the song. I'm thrilled to see your research has gotten much further than mine. Please email me the mp3. Thanks!

June 23, 2007 @ 11:28 AM

Nora

I also would love a copy of Gord Downie's Hallelujah. I have heard it before, though I'd never seen the movie before tonight...has it been used elsewhere? I was prepared to pay to download it from i-tunes, but no luck. Do you know if there are any current plans to release it??

July 28, 2007 @ 2:11 AM

Toronto Mike

The song Hallelujah has been used in many movies and television shows, but Gord Downie's version only appears in Saint Ralph.

I haven't heard of any release date or definite plans to release it. I know certain people are working on it...

July 28, 2007 @ 8:44 AM

email archiving

As we're on Andrew Lockington Sheds Light On The Hallelujah Mystery | Toronto Mike's Blog, This increasing document retention, along with the ever-increasing size of attachments, has caused email systems to dramatically increase in size and therefore demand higher technical capacity and management.

October 23, 2010 @ 12:20 AM

email archiving

As we're on Andrew Lockington Sheds Light On The Hallelujah Mystery | Toronto Mike's Blog, In order for you to start gathering email addresses, you'll first need to build a list management system that will permit your visitors to submit their information, automatically subscribe them to your list and enable you to send out messages.

October 23, 2010 @ 12:32 AM

Branda Challberg

Surprising time in here; I forget to do my other activity because of your wonderful site. It doesn't matter with me, because it is worthed and I will learn new knowledge, hope progressively I can meet with your speech. Linguists and educationalists (in my school) had conflicted and debated in several subject, I got the correction when I read the full article here. The positive effects of debatable discussion in my school are great brain for future time (for me and for my friends). Many subjects and topics with great confusing material in my school, but I have initiation step that your site has better correct conclusion. The above discussion in Linguists and educationalists is great. I've used several techniques for my research, for example online comparison. Would you mind if I make citation for my future project? (Of course I will tell you later, once I got the project plan in my hand). Thanks for your attention in reading my comments; you can shot me in my comment details to execute this project, so you can to be as a great part in my project.

January 23, 2011 @ 2:40 AM

woodworking4home review

All in all, these diagrams appear to be easy to follow and they are extensive guides looking for do it yourself work.

June 3, 2011 @ 9:30 PM