Mike vs. Michael

questionmarkEveryone I know calls me Mike, but it wasn't always that way. My birth certificate shows my name as Michael and for the first ten years of my life, my parents, teachers, classmates and friends called me by my given name. I was Michael until I realized I might have a say in the matter.

I remember as a pre-teen preferring the name Mike to Michael. As a teen, I started asking teachers and friends to call me Mike, when they weren't calling me Booner, or something worse. Eventually it got to a point where just about everyone, including my brothers and mom, called me Mike.

I dislike the name Michael. To me, it sounds stuffy, conservative and boring. Michael is a name for accountants or opera goers or Bible thumpers. Mike is cool, open minded, fun and funny. Mike is me.

I've been Mike so long, I hardly react when someone calls me Michael. I practically forget that's my name, and I sometimes forget to use it when filling out banking or legal documents. When I picked up this domain name in the late 90s, I didn't even consider michaelboon.com. Heck, it's probably still available. Go ahead and grab it, it's no use to me. I became a Mike long ago and I don't intend to turn back now. For me, it was an easy call.

twins from bolton

My sons names are Christopher & Andrew.
My wife & I made a pact never to call them Chris or Andy.
4 years ago on ANDREW'S BBall team there were 2 Andrews & because my Andrew was younger the head coach would call him Andy to distinguish him from the other. I & he hated it but there had to be a different name.
Andrew became Andy for 1 year only as the other Andrew left & went to another team. Andy is now Andrew. However, Christopher became Chris when his twin Andrew would call him Chris.
We have grown to call Christopher Chris until need be (when in trouble & he knows it - Christpher means trouble.
I don't like Mike - Michael, Micheal but Mike Boon is OK for me

August 19, 2006 @ 9:43 PM

Roshan

Wow, Mike, I didn't think that it would be so different to you. I remember when I was about 8, growing up in Kuwait and hating my name "Roshan". I thought it was so bland?? From the ages of 8 till 10, I wanted to be called ......guess what "Michael". It was because of 'Knight Rider' - all the kids wanted to be him. I remember my dad's friend coming to our place for a visit and bringing his son along and his name was Michael (I was so jealous). I outgrew it by the age of 10. Ever since then, I love my name Roshan and also the shortened affection name used by some of my cousins and a few friends - Rosh! I use it like "Do You smell what the Rosh is cooking"? or "You make me hard as a Rosh!" (hahaha that one still kills me). Or Count Roshculla, cause we all wanna be Vampires who target young, nubile women!
Mike Boon is a nice, short name although Mike always reminds me of MIke Tyson or Ask Mike.

August 20, 2006 @ 7:27 AM

Mike Boon

It's funny, but on one of my ball teams right now there are three Mike's. In ball, you sorta go by your last name anyways. On the back of my jersey is says Booner on top of George Bell's #11.

Kic, Engell, if you two are out there, chime in. Kic is definitely a Mike, Engell I think goes both ways.

August 20, 2006 @ 7:45 AM

Mike Boon

We all call my brother Stephen by the shorter Steve, which evolved naturally, like twins from bolton's Christopher who is now a Chris.

My son James is still James, but I was a Michael at his age. Should James evolve into Jim, Jimmy or Jimbo, that's okay with me. For now though, he's pure James.

August 20, 2006 @ 7:57 AM

MIKE KIC

Boon,

I can totally relate, my birth certificate also states Michael. When I was growing up everyone called me Michael and now that I'm older I prefer Mike. Everyone I know calls me Mike, except for my mom and dad. It's weird but I'll only respond to my parents calling me Michael. When someone jokes around and calls me Michael, I don't respond or I comment saying 'only my mom calls me that.' I agree that Mike is cool and Michael reminds me of my quiet and less popular days as a kid.

August 20, 2006 @ 10:58 AM

Mike H

Well, I think I go by both fairly interchangably. Anything written down, official or even semi-official (like my name on a test paper) is Michael. Out loud I'll respond to either, though most call me Mike. Michael tends to be reserved for my parents and my wife. If I'm in trouble, that's when the middle name gets added on. :)

August 20, 2006 @ 4:25 PM

Michael J

I feel completely the opposite. It was my parents who insisted I be called Michael, and I went along with it until one day I realized that I do actually prefer Michael to Mike. I know what you mean by Michael sounding "stuffy" and "conservative," but maybe I just see Michael as having more stature. Certainly doesn't keep me from being open-minded... Guess I've always felt Mike is just the first half of my name?

I realize this comment is six years late :|

December 5, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Mike Campbell

I also prefer to go by Mike. My story is similar to yours. However, most of my friends call me by my last name now. It started in high school because of sports and then kept on into college when I joined a fraternity and my "big bro" was also named Mike. We called him by his last name, as well. Otherwise I go by Mike.

March 17, 2015 @ 10:27 PM

Mike Justice

My name is actually, legally, "Mike" — and it totally annoys me when people call me "Michael." Michael is a priest's name. I even get people who argue with me about my own name. "Well, you're real name is Michael, right? Oh, it's not. Oh really. It's legally 'Mike?' Not 'Michael?' Humph. Interesting. Oh, wow, it does say 'Mike' on your drivers license. That's weird. Humph. Well, I like 'Michael' better."

November 9, 2015 @ 4:10 AM