Link: Johnny Cash, American V: A Hundred Highways

LinkJohnny Cash, American V: A Hundred Highways - AOL is streaming this entire new release from the Man in Black. If you're a fellow Firefox user, you'll have to install the ActiveX Plug-in or use IE. You've got to hear this disc, especially his cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind".

I think Cash could have sang the alphabet song and I've have dug it. As I wrote upon his death, the Man in Black really struck a chord with me. He sang for the working man and downtrodden. He sang for the prisoners and the hurt.

Mike Boon

He covers "Four Strong Winds", too. That's some serious CanCon.

July 7, 2006 @ 3:26 PM

Jill

Listen to "Like the 309" and I think you can hear Johnny laughing death in the face. It was the last song he ever wrote.

July 7, 2006 @ 4:44 PM

Bruce

I've always said great art inspires new art. I'd like to share the song I was inspired to write and record after finding myself under the influence of Cash V: A Hundred Highways:

Here's to 100 Highways
words and music by Bruce L. Thiessen, aka Dr. BLT
(c)2006

I first learned of the power of Johnny Cash's music when I performed his songs, as a prison psychologist, before hundreds of inmates at California State Prison Solano. That story is featured here:

God bless!

Bruce
aka Dr. BLT
The World's First Blog n Roll Artist

July 25, 2006 @ 2:49 AM

Jill

Forget the CD. You need to hear it on vinyl.This is the way it was meant to be heard....in analog and not digital. Garth bought it today and it is fantastic. So masterfully recorded that you can hear how Johnny is feeling in each and every note that he sings in his final days.

August 9, 2006 @ 7:50 PM

Mike Boon

What's this vinyl you speak of? Is there a new format on the horizon? :-)

In all seriousness, that sounds wonderful.

August 9, 2006 @ 8:06 PM

Jill

Everything old is new again.

August 9, 2006 @ 9:07 PM