Chick Flicks

moviesChicks love chick flicks. This is a fact. If there's a guy and a girl and a romantic story of love's triumpth over adversity, my wife and her girlfriends are so there. I'm not a chick, so it's no surprise I don't get the allure. Sure, there are some good chick flicks, but for the most part they're sappy, boring fluff pieces.

According to O Magazine, purveyor of all things chick, here are the ten greatest chick flicks of all time.

• Morocco (1930)
  • Camille (1936)
  • Notorious (1946)
  • The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981)
  • The English Patient (1996)
  • The Women (1939)
  • Julia (1977)
  • Desperately Seeking Susan (1985)
  • The Truth About Cats & Dogs
  • Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997)

From Queen Oprah herself, there's your top ten. Six of those movies I've never seen, one of those movies I really, really liked (The English Patient), one of those movies was okay (Desperately Seeking Susan), one of those movies bored me to tears (The Truth About Cats & Dogs) and another was just horrible (Romy and Michele's High School Reunion). Heck, I have an entire entry brewing in me about "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion".

I'm so glad I'm not a chick.

Kara

Although I am a chick I find myself also turned off by most "chick flicks". I have not seen most of the films on the list but come on.....Romy and Michelle?? I can think of at least a dozen better "chick flicks" then Romy and Michelle. What a bout The Sweetest Thing? This list cannot be accurate. Who are the sources for this list? Oprah and Gail? I am embarassed.

P.S. I thank God you are not a Chick either Mike. ;)

July 25, 2006 @ 12:42 PM

Anonymous

Oh what?! The Sweeetest Thing was a painfully unfunny bore. Nice eye candy though.

July 25, 2006 @ 1:53 PM

Steve

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion was painfully bad. Vagina or no vagina - that's a fact!

July 25, 2006 @ 2:25 PM

Jill

What defines chick flick? Is that a genre, like action(self explanatory) or horror(again self explanatory) I often think guys use this term as a cop out. It defines for them a crap movie. I think movies of all genres are either good or bad and unfortunately Oprahs list did a disservice to some great movies that both women and men would like. Romy and Michelles High School Reunion was awful as was, Monster in law,Runaway bride,Sweet home alabama. To me these are not chick flicks these are just garbage.
Some good movies are,Bridget Jones Diary,My Big Fat Greek Wedding,Muriels Wedding
Chocolat,When Harry met Sally,Somewhere in time,
Bridges of madison county,
thelma and louise,legends of the fall,titanic,patch of blue,love actually,about a boy,sabrina,memoirs of a geisha,moulin rouge,
pride and predjudice,calender girls
remains of the day,
working girl,
thorn birds,
before sunset/before sunrise

July 25, 2006 @ 11:37 PM

Mike Boon

Here's my question of the day. Does "Chick Flick" equal "Romantic Comedy"?

Without a doubt, there have been some good Romantic Comedies. You mentioned a few, like About a Boy, but I never thought of About a Boy as a Chick Flick. Is it?

July 28, 2006 @ 4:44 PM

Tobey

I completely agree. but i also have to add in Shakespeare in love to the chick flick catagory.

August 29, 2007 @ 12:44 AM