Wedding Crashers

A Movie ReelWedding Crashers: 5 out of 10.

Sigh. Where have all the good comedies gone? "Wedding Crashers" was too long, too predictable, and not particularly funny. Sure, I chuckled a few times, but there were no belly laughs. When I saw "There's Something About Mary", I remember belly laughs. Where the hell are my belly laughs?

I realize this movie was from last summer, but I'm usually about a year behind on my flicks. Over the past year, I kept seeing references to "Wedding Crashers" which actually tricked me into expecting a fairly funny movie. I just saw it clean up at the recent MTV Movie Awards, although I guess I should have known better than to have attached expectations to that. This was weak, no stronger than "Dodgeball", which actually got a higher rating from me. I want belly laughs!

Tomorrow I'll run down my five favourite Owen Wilson movies. I can think of at least three hysterical flicks the dude has starred in. This wasn't one.

Annemarie

I agree with you, although I don't think "There's Something About Mary" was particularly/hysterically funny. I don't remember it being 'belly laugh worthy'. Maybe it had something to do with Cameron Diaz not being one of my favourites. I usually avoid 'stupid comedies' like the plague - "Dodgeball" being one of them - and stay relatively safe with my horror, psychological thriller/suspense, action/adventure movies, although I know laughs aren't exactly expected from them and I've seen bad to mediocre movies in those genres too of course. Although I thought it was funnier the 1st time around, try "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" if you haven't already for your desired belly laughs. It gave me them, but I know it's about personal taste & opinion in the end. As far as the MTV Movie Awards and the like are concerned, they're mostly just popularity contests anyway, not what is actually/genuinely good.

June 29, 2006 @ 12:23 PM

Mike Boon

The 40-Year Old Virgin is next on my hit list...

June 29, 2006 @ 1:00 PM

Al

I tought that last summer boasted two of the funniest movies to be released in a very long time, Wedding Crashers and 40 year-old Virgin. I'm sorry you didn't think so, especially considering you DID like Something About Mary. I did too, but I know some who didn't. Comedy is such a subjective thing and comedies are very hit-and-miss over any other genre.

June 29, 2006 @ 1:36 PM

Pete

Sorry Mike,

I though Crashers was one of the best comedies of the year. 40 year old virgin didn't quite do it for me. If you want to, try Swingers which is one of my favs with Vince in it.

June 29, 2006 @ 8:55 PM

Mike Boon

I loved Swingers. Vaughn was great in it - it's a classic. We need more Swingers.

On a completely unrelated note, check out this performance at the '82 Tony Awards. I'm the last guy who's gonna rave about a musical but holy shit. This Jennifer Holliday blew me away.

June 29, 2006 @ 9:00 PM

Jill

Comedy is tough to do well. Smart comedy is a true gift. The Wedding Crashers has bigger names, but I enjoyed The 40 Year-Old Virgin more. It is an R-rated comedy that can be described as sweet. I found the Wedding Crashers, lost its edge (and a lot of its humor) early on. The 40 Year Old Virgin keeps it up for nearly two hours. Seeing that you enjoyed Swingers, have you seen Made? It is a much darker comedy but enjoyable too.

June 30, 2006 @ 1:32 AM