The Great Stats Debate

digitalOn the heels of The Great Female Walk Debate comes The Great Stats Debate. In previous Raging Storm seasons, we've kept offensive statistics. Here's the 2005 page and the 2004 page as examples.

This season, we're debating whether to continue this practice. Some believe it puts too much pressure on the batter while others think it creates a fun competitive atmosphere. Personally, I'm on the fence. For starters, it's extra work for me to maintain the stats. As for benefits, I'm not sure there are any except that those with the bigger stats can back up their arrogance with metrics. Stats don't measure intangibles like heart, effort and camaraderie. They're just cold numbers in an all too cold world.

The stats were emailed to me this morning but I haven't posted them on our page. This debate is incomplete!

Engell

I'm indifferent. While I enjoy jumping onto this site to check out the latest updates to the stats, I also realize that it's more work for you to keep up to date. For me, it's more about checking my own personal progress and seeing how I'm doing offensively, as opposed to comparing myself with other team members. But when it all boils down to it, it really is pointless. Either we win or we lose. Me batting .800 means nothing if we still lose games or in the play-offs. Basically, while I enjoy looking at the stats, I won't be terribly disappointed if they're not posted. That's my 2 cents at least.

May 18, 2006 @ 10:11 AM

Greg

I think its fun to see where you are at, how well you hit, and who should be where in the batting order. I personally would like to go back to our first year and keep singles doubles and triples, knowing the people hitting singles should be at the beginning of the order and so forth. Honestly if I was near the end of the stats, personally I think I'd still want to know, It would make me realize why I am lower in the batting order if that was the case. I'm not saying this is the way its going to be, just in the games that really matter we can have a deep thought before making the schedule. I think that we are now in a more competitive league that keeping stats would be more strategic for us. We are all good players and should have problem posting the stats, batting .333 is not bad. Without stats its like doing an exam and not knowing how well you did. After all I believe the stats started when you thought you were better than most. Now that the true colours are out, you don't seem like you really want to do it anymore. If its that much extra work, is there anything I can do to make it easier for you?

May 18, 2006 @ 10:31 AM

Greg

Good point Engell, comparing yourself from previous years, which I do regularly instead of comparing to the rest of the team. Seeing whether you should retire or not, haha

May 18, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

Andrea

I dont care either way. The only thing that sucks is there aren't any stats for defense (which is my strong point) BUT the team knows I'm a good a player anyways (well I think they do)so if I get some bad hits whatever. We are in INT 1, it's hard for us girlies to get on base, but it's all good. I wouldn't mind seeing my progress.

May 18, 2006 @ 10:40 AM

Mike Kic

Honestly Boon, if it's too much work for you to do this year than I don't care if we post them anymore. In previous years it was fun showing other "team" members how they hit?? But now with the new and improved team it isn't necessary. As long as you write a full page on how great I am, and how Cito Gaston has nothing on my coaching.

May 18, 2006 @ 10:52 AM

Mike Boon

I didn't say I didn't want to do it any more, I said I'm on the fence. Typically a debate requires more than one person's opinion. This is an open discussion so we can all throw our two cents in the pot.

I'm happy to spend the extra fifteen minutes a week maintaining the stats if that's what everyone wants. So far it looks like one person wants stats and three are fairly indifferent. If no one on the team votes against the stats, I'll post 'em.

At the end of the day, there's only one stat that actually matters. W's.

May 18, 2006 @ 10:55 AM

Greg

Boon, if you went 4-4 last night it would be a different story. There would have been an email when I got home saying, where are the stats! Plus if you don't keep the stats, who is gunna visit your site if you don't, I know I won't.

May 18, 2006 @ 10:55 AM

Great debate huh

May 18, 2006 @ 10:57 AM

Mike Boon

Kic, Cito didn't really coach, did he? He let his all-stars do their thing and he stayed out of the way. You're more of a Jim Leyland.

Fay, you're wrong as usual. Do you want me to forward you the email I got from your way better half in which she tells me there are no stats this year?

May 18, 2006 @ 11:01 AM

Greg

Dude whats 15 minutes to you, what do you do all day? Instead of writing about how your a silver fox (hardly) put the fuckin stats up.

May 18, 2006 @ 11:04 AM

Mike Boon

Greg, you just made this decision super easy. Thanks!

May 18, 2006 @ 11:06 AM

So they'll be up soon?

May 18, 2006 @ 11:47 AM

Jordy

Mike, I appreciate your asking the team if they want to continue with the stats. I like the stats...and I went 1 for 4 yesterday. It keeps me competitive with myself, and it makes me a better batter. I too agree that it's important for us to have records of our batting history so we can make a stronger line-up. That being said, I understand if people do not want their stats posted, so why don't those people say that they object and their names can be taken off the site?

May 18, 2006 @ 11:48 AM

Greg

I love you Jordy, do I still owe you 20 bucks?

May 18, 2006 @ 11:50 AM

Mike Boon

Now I have a new problem. Greg was such an asshole in the comments above I feel compelled to kill the stats just to spite the bastard.

May 18, 2006 @ 11:51 AM

Greg

I'm a new problem? I thought I was always a problem, anyways put the freeeeeeekin stats up BIATCH! So your cool with playin catcher all next game?

May 18, 2006 @ 11:54 AM

Jordy

Boon, come on...you can't let him get to you like that! My vote is to wait for the team to make a decision...let's be dipolmatic...and...(this goes out to a few boys I know playing hockey right now)...mature...about this whole thing...please!!

May 18, 2006 @ 11:56 AM

Greg

Ok Boon, how about this......DON'T DO IT. I mean you have better things to do, right? Don't you? Or do you want to post them when your stats get a little higher and your satisfied with yourself. Also I know if I striked out, you'd wanna post that. I bet all the new people would like to see the stats too, we'll wait and see their response, but I'm responding to everyones comment, if you allow them to be posted. Don't get so worked up over this. I'm here laughing having a great time, playing video games with the Kicster, and Jordy's just jealous she wasn't invited

May 18, 2006 @ 12:03 PM

Jordy

No way guys, Paris is so much fun...I love it here!

May 18, 2006 @ 12:05 PM

Greg

Jordy can you tell me again how the game ended last night, I don't think it was posted in enough detail, I know it would have been a little bit better if it was someone else.

May 18, 2006 @ 12:07 PM

Greg

I'm such an asshole and I love it, no changin me

May 18, 2006 @ 12:09 PM

Alek

I can see how posting stats might discourage some people, but for me, if I see I'm batting shitty lately, I'd reconsider my tactics and opt for placing my hits and concentrating on singles and doubles instead of trying to crank them.
Also, to back Greg's point, it could prove to be a strategic benefit by analyzing statistics.

May 18, 2006 @ 6:49 PM

Mike Boon

Since most of the team has chimed in and everybody is either in favour of the stats or indifferent, we'll keep them for the regular season.

May 18, 2006 @ 9:46 PM

Boo-Yaka-Sha

May 18, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

Mike Kic

More like Boon-Yaka-Sha...thanks Booner!

May 18, 2006 @ 10:50 PM