Black Monday Swarm - Tales From The Ex

Tales From The ExThroughout the 125th Canadian National Exhibition I've shared stories from my three years working there as a game booth attendant. Below is my final tale for 2004. I have many others, so we'll pick this up again next August.

Today is Labour Day and the final day of the twenty day CNE. I don't know how things are today, but in the late 80s we called this day Black Monday. I wrote a little about Black Monday last week.

There's one Black Monday I'll never forget. Rumours were circulating throughout the afternoon that a large collection of wannabee-thug teens were planning to swarm the midway on a looting spree. We were on high-alert for such activity and when night fell and sunlight dissapated we got word that this swarming had begun. Apparently it had started around the Dufferin Gates and was working it's way towards the Princes Gates. We didn't have more than a minute or two before they'd be at our booth.

The game booth I was working was a trailer that opened and closed on each side. We jumped in and I hit the button for the hydraulics to close the doors. In complete darkness we held the doors closed and in seconds all we heard was a continuous thunderous pounding. This swarm of people was banging on the walls as they advanced. It lasted less than a minute but it was surreal. When we opened the doors to take a peak outside there was no sign of trouble. The swarm had advanced and we were no worse for wear.

The worst part of Black Monday was the fact I'd be back at Michael Power High School the next day for another semester of boredom. One day I'm taking out petty thugs and locking myself in a trailer to avoid an angry mob and the next day I'm in home room. It was never an easy transition.

WhatNoOneWillSay

"Black Monday"?

Ahh you mean "Nigger Night at the Ex". You wrote this post 12 years ago. Yesterday, Aug 30, 2016 the Ex had "Youth Night" with a $6 admission. The closed the entire CNE THREE hours early because of the fighting & pre-loot hip hop. I laugh at the Political Correctness of the news coverage.. most if not all of the crowd shown were a bunch of apes having a chimp-out for no reason.

I'm 57 & remember the Ex fondly. Now? Close it all down & put up condos. There are too many black people in the city to expect human behaviour. The monkeys win.

August 31, 2016 @ 1:13 PM

Brian Perrault

@whatnoonewillsay What in the actual fuck?

August 31, 2016 @ 4:24 PM

Barry

Well, @WhatNoOneWillSay, apparently you missed the white guy in the video. Also, you apparently have never been to the Jays home opener, which for years was known as "Fight Night" and featured predominantly white drunks getting in fights in the 500 level. And apparently you have not seen videos from previous years at the Ex, including one in which white people are getting in a scrap over line jumping. And apparently, well, you're just an ignorant, mindless racist and, let's face it, human garbage, and you're looking to lash out at other people because you can't figure out how, at age 57, your life just hasn't worked out very well and you're an insignificant person who has to go on the internet, hide behind a fake name, and spew your intellectual midgetry towards people you don't know.

In short, please fuck yourself you pathetic piece of shit.

August 31, 2016 @ 4:51 PM

John

@ WhatNoOneWillSay tells it like it is.Many,many people feel the same way just don't want the abuse yes abuse of being call a racist.

August 31, 2016 @ 6:05 PM

dale

@WhatNoOneWillSay
I am older than you & this is one of the most disgusting comments I have ever read on this blog & have following Toronto Mike since it started. R U for real?????? You must be a Trump supporter. If not a person who has no CLUE about Humanity.

@ Mike
Offensive comments like this persons really don't belong here & IMO it should be deleted & block this POS from commenting again.

August 31, 2016 @ 6:15 PM

I could delete this idiot's hateful diatribe but I think I'd rather expose the ignorance than scrub it.

I mean, this guy exists in the real world, so there's no point pretending such thoughts don't exist out there. He's a racist.

August 31, 2016 @ 9:01 PM

Barry

@John

I'm pretty sure I'm on safe ground labeling a person who calls people "chimps" and "apes" a racist. There's nothing "abusive" about it. From a credibility standpoint, it's probably best not to throw your support behind such a person.

September 1, 2016 @ 11:57 AM