I find myself awaking in a cold sweat for fear the Conservatives may actually win our federal election. Recent Liberal scandals and mismanagement have many looking at the Conservative Party as a way to send a message and teach the Liberal Party a lesson. I fully understand this unwillingness to give the Liberals another vote, but the alternative is frightening. We can't cut off our nose to spite our face.
This morning, perusing the Toronto Star, I came across a letter to the editor from a Robin Wood entitled "Vote for Conservatives and you can expect this". It's pretty simple and straight forward and I fear it's also rather accurate.
A vote for the Conservatives is (ultimately, whatever Stephen Harper may say) in all probability a vote for the following:
1. An increase in pollution, destruction of the environment, and global warming (in the interests of corporate capitalism), which, according to many distinguished international scientists, could end with our planet becoming uninhabitable.
2. An increase in support for the U.S., in its transparent striving (under the current administration) for world domination.
3. An increase in homelessness and poverty (including child poverty).
4. The further demolition of our health care system, including our hospital services.
5. The parallel undermining of educational funding, from kindergarten to university.
6. The probable loss of abortion rights for women.
7. The probable blocking of same-sex marriage.
This is, of course, a free country and the choice is yours. I just wanted to make sure you know what you are voting for. And heaven help the rest of us.
Do the right thing. Please.
No comments? C'mon, we can do better... Leave a comment above and let's start this conversation!