Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 412: Christmas Crackers, Vol. 2

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 412In this 412th episode, Mike and Ed Conroy present Retrontario Christmas Crackers Vol. 2 featuring Consumers Distributing, Uncle Bobby, A Very Brady Christmas and a tribute to The Voice, Mark Dailey. This episode is exactly 2:06:10.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Retrontario and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design and Build. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

glb   Palma Pasta   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

Innocent question: Are those Speakers' Corner outtake videos (as alluded to early in the ep.) involving homeless folks orally gratifying one-another of a hetero nature? Only askin' 'cause my viewing interest would largely rest on the answer to said query (no judgement, just stating my obviously unsolicited opinion/preference...)

December 17, 2018 @ 5:13 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Old Skool Degrassi tidbit: I once traded comics with Stefan Brogren back in grade school as he was
in the grade ahead of me.

@Mike
I previously wrote about Uncle Bobby showing up as a bus driver at my elementary school and telling some heckling kids to "FUCK OFF!!" A class act all the way and a true connoisseur of that cherished
MILF demographic (well ahead of his time in that pervy regard!!).

December 17, 2018 @ 5:33 PM

Rob J

Leaving aside YBS (due to the controversy over whether those 10 eps are part of TM canon), the Retrontario visits are probably my favourites, and I'm not generally gaga over nostalgia. So many memorable hidden treasures exposed and brought to light by Ed. His YouTube channel is a must-subscribe!

December 17, 2018 @ 5:49 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Finally some long-overdue love and respect for the legendary former Chief Assignment Editor of
CItyTV, Glen Cole. What a wonderful pre-Christmas miracle for us all. No joke. KUDOS to Ed C.!!!

December 17, 2018 @ 5:59 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

There's some hyperbole with the "homeless guys blowing each other" comment. Some of the content, as you can imagine, is a little racy, though.

December 17, 2018 @ 6:09 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Figured as much, as you've spoken multiple times about Brother Billy hooking you up with
a tape of some City TV outtakes back in the day. Real shame, however, that you weren't
able to make that teased GLB viewing party happen to cap off this calendar year, complete
with some real stylin' panache! Ya know, next X-mas is a long way off. sob.

December 17, 2018 @ 6:18 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

TMLX3 in June will be epic and we'll put something rare and amazing together for TMLX4 in December 2019.

December 17, 2018 @ 6:23 PM

Sandra

Great epi. Always enjoy listening to Ed. I need that CIty TV t shirt.

December 17, 2018 @ 8:14 PM

Brandon

Really enjoyed this one. A fantastic listen! Always love these "Christmas Crackers" stuff.

That "Seinfeld and Cheers shown at Skydome" discussion (possibly Mandela effect, "did it or didn't it happen?") around the 102 minute mark had me really curious so I did a little bit of research. Seinfeld's finale aired May 14, 1998 according to Epguides. I found this article from The Toronto Star's May 15, 1998 edition (funny enough, in the context of an technical outage) which contains a paragraph that reads:

"During the Blue Jay game last night against Anaheim at SkyDome, scenes from Seinfeld were flashed on the JumboTron."

I also found this article from The Toronto Star of May 21, 1993, the day after Cheers' finale of May 20, 1993 that mentions the Skydome showing of it, too:

So, people claiming these things happened are not wrong! Although the Seinfeld thing was apparently just "clips" (when people might be remembering the full episode).

December 18, 2018 @ 5:04 AM

@Brandon

Well done!

I remember the Cheers viewing party at the dome, but not Seinfeld. In fact, because I was such a Seinfeld nut, I remember that not happening, if you can remember a negative.

I'll make sure Ed sees that article about the Cheers finale... I'm glad my memory is still in tact!

December 18, 2018 @ 9:10 AM

Footage of Cheers finale viewing party at dome:

December 18, 2018 @ 9:18 AM

Ed Conroy

Nice work! Toronto Mike has the best fans. Glad that it did actually happen and wasn't a mis-memory or Mandela Effect.

December 18, 2018 @ 9:29 AM

the brother

Captivating episode Mike and Ed! Ed held it together at 1:05 and this is the sign of a true professional. I would listen to him on CFRB anytime, anyway. Is he getting any shifts over the Xmas break?

December 18, 2018 @ 10:26 AM

the brother

Mike and Ed please link us to the guy who is making those cool shirts

December 18, 2018 @ 11:00 AM

@the brother

1:09

Quite the moment.

December 18, 2018 @ 4:16 PM

fakeologist

Regarding the Bumdell secret podcast.

You're too nice for the guy Mike.

He's a low talent shock jock.

You're a friendly interviewer.

Oil and vinegar.

It might still be fun to listen, but I'd leave him alone.

Not worth your effort.

Thanks for the plug. Happy to donate to your show.

December 19, 2018 @ 5:05 PM

Anon&on

Lee Valley is the upscale Consumers Distributing. Clipboard with an order sheet, golf pencil, find the item in the catalog. Guy goes into the back to get your item- except they usually have it. No Candle electronics.

December 19, 2018 @ 6:51 PM

the brother

Citizen made watches and they also branded some clock radios. Mine had AM/FM stereo, a phone, handsfree speakerphone and a cassette that could record directly from the radio and speakerphone. Hence the birth of my phony phone call career.

December 19, 2018 @ 9:53 PM

Chuck 99

I enjoyed the segment on CKLW and the Drake Format, which was licensed to many stations in Ontario in the late sixties and early seventies. With its heavy and dramatic use of jingles, it allowed many small market stations in Northern Ontario to create a more mid-market sound.

I enjoyed listening to these stations while on camping trips in my teens. For a while the announcers on CFCH 600 in North Bay (now CKAT) referred to the station as the Big 6. Stations in Sudbury and Timmins also used the format.

December 20, 2018 @ 7:59 AM

bsmntdwllr73

All the included discussion about Mark Dailey's supposed ('borrowed') involvement in Rush's
"Subdivisons" reminded me of a cool cover version recorded by local folk singer/songwriter
Jacob Moon. There is a cool rooftop video of him performing that track on both acoustic and
electric guitar, complete with him utilizing a mini tape recorder to fill-in that fabled "SUBDIVISIONS!"
part. Well worth seeking out (Youtube, sorry no links from my lame ass!!) P.S., everything I ever needed to know or self-identify with about awkward adolescent alienation was clearly crystalized by
early exposure to said awesome track!!

December 20, 2018 @ 10:46 AM

Rick C in Oakville

I had the JIL (Jutan International) clock radio with the numbers that flipped like a rolodex, no LED display. I believe I got this from Consumers Distributing.

December 20, 2018 @ 8:45 PM

Rick

Finally after the holiday craziness - I've had time to sit down and listen to this entire episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a delight it was to hear my name mentioned during the Live It Up clip. Glad I am thought to be one of the originators with retro stuff on the Internet! And funny Mike that you should mention Sportsline with Mark and Jim. Back in the late 80's I would faithfully record the Hebzie awards each week. I had about 5 or 6 tapes full of them and actually gave them to Mark about 2 years ago. He has been waiting for someone to convert/digitize them so that they can live on probably on YouTube. The guy who is doing the conversion has ran into some issues transferring the stuff. Hopefully they will be resolved soon.

Loved the talk about Consumers Distributing. So many memories going through the catalog. One of the things I always remember to was the board game called Pass-Out. I had many Citizen and Candle products!

Murphy the Molar, Blinky and Elmer all such fun memories. And indeed, don't be the one to muck it up for our school and have us lose the Elmer flag. There was such pride in that thing. You didn't want to be the one...ever.

Is there a link for the guy that makes those retro-t-shirts?

Speakers corner - many Saturday afternoons watching that. Some cringeworthy stuff back then - I can only image people watching themselves now...what would they think!

Lastly, very touching segment on Officer Michael Sweet. Glad you were able to carry through it Ed.

January 2, 2019 @ 11:41 AM