Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 395: Mike Richards' Announcement

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 395In this 395th episode, Mike Richards makes a big announcement. This episode is exactly 1:06:39.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Mike Richards and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design and Build. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

glb   Palma Pasta   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Toronto Mike'd should now officially be renamed "Bag Talk!"Or perhaps time to set up a joint
Freddie P./Mike Richards podcast where all such toileting matters can frankly be discussed, complete
with the appropriate sound effects!! Think of the delicious sponsorship possibilities!!!

November 8, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

H.o.E.

No wonder that Sauga 960 station is difficult to receive, even in the western part of Toronto -- according to Wikipedia it transmits at only 700 watts. For comparison, TSN 1050, which people outside the immediate GTA complain about having a weak signal, is 50,000 watts.
But this will still probably significantly increase the size of the audience for Richards and Bastl, from the handful who listen online, while still having it available live and archived there.
Three hours is a lot of air time to fill, even with commercial breaks. They started their online show as two hours, but reduced it to one after the first few days. They probably won't find many interviews that early in the morning and being on a small station, so TorontoMike may well be one of them.

November 8, 2018 @ 12:23 PM

Jeff

I think they actually go out at 2,000 Watts during the day. That said it is likely to be a pretty weak signal. Hope the show catches on though.

November 8, 2018 @ 12:59 PM

Ted

Great News!.....I've done some research on the 960 signal.....In clear weather, you can just get it in Newmarket, so anyone in Vaughan, Markham, etc will be in luck.....checked it driving out to Ottawa last weekend, was pretty good out to Port Perry.....AM radio on weaker signals does have weathers during crappy weather, I even find this with 1050 or 100.....590 and 640 are boomers for a long way from the City....

November 8, 2018 @ 1:09 PM

H.o.E.

Are Mike Richards and David Bastl aware that their favourite sport, Kabaddi (YouTube), has an annual event right there in Mississauga at the arena where the Steelheads play?
Kabaddi Canada Cup

November 8, 2018 @ 1:46 PM

H.o.E.

And even better, it looks like Quidditch (people running around on broomsticks) is played right across the road at the Iceland complex.
Quidditch on full display in Mississauga

November 8, 2018 @ 2:41 PM

Sean

I thought that his new (old_ show was going to be so revolutionary, have tons of sponsors and be the best thing ever....right...?

November 8, 2018 @ 3:59 PM

Chuck 99

According to the Canadian Communications Foundation website, the Sauga 960 signal is just 280 watts at night, so early commuters to Toronto will probably have difficulty listening to the Mike Richards show in the late fall and winter. In the spring and summer, when the station switches to its daytime pattern by 6 a.m. you should be able to hear the entire show in most of the GTA.

A recent post on another discussion board mentioned the case of an individual who was driving in Toronto one evening and wondered why the Virginia Tourist Association was advertising on Sauga 960. After listening for a few more minutes, he realized he was listening to 960 AM in Roanoke, VA.

November 8, 2018 @ 6:03 PM

NW

Imagine how many more listeners he'd have if he was still on 960-CFAC in Calgary. Or WFIR in Roanoke.

November 8, 2018 @ 7:07 PM

@Sean

He owned that. During his second visit, he told me Drake would drop by his new show. We laughed about how that never happened.

November 9, 2018 @ 8:37 AM

Corrado C

Love his honesty. Where are the Numeris number that he promised you ?

November 9, 2018 @ 4:43 PM

Chuck 99

@NW

How ironic! Until you mentioned it, I had no idea that the station he worked for in Calgary was also located at 960 on the dial.

November 9, 2018 @ 6:30 PM

@Corrado C

I found the spreadsheet a little confusing, so I'm just going to share it with you all in its entirety as I received it.

November 9, 2018 @ 7:23 PM

I chatted with Mike re: the confusing spreadsheet, so the following clarifying words belong to him.

The first category highlights Males 25-54 Numbers at the end of my 1st contract and when TSN lost the NHL and bailed on us.... (June 2014) The second Highlighted number is 6 months later Jan of 2015.

This is the FULL FAN 590 vs TSN1050 Morning numbers from the very start in 2011 to the End of May 2014.

November 10, 2018 @ 1:12 PM

Corrado C

@milke. Thanks for taking time to clarify this

November 10, 2018 @ 2:00 PM

Corrado C

@milke. Thanks for taking time to clarify this

November 10, 2018 @ 2:00 PM

jackbee

I've always liked listening to Mike Richards on radio, and especially enjoyed his impersonations of famous people but more especially his knowledge of sports.

As Jewish person I didn't appreciate his references on two occasions to Hitler, which wad very upsetting and distasteful to hear.

I will attempt to listen to his new show on 960 and determine if he and Bastl still have the appeal that they had for me on TSN 1050.

November 12, 2018 @ 8:51 AM

MrTwister

I will tune in to 960 to hear Mike who is easily one of my favourite radio jocks. Just love his style and he is a funny motherfucker. As for the Numeris numbers - I''ve been in adv media over 20 years and his numbers may or may not represent a growth trend. Certainly not enough there to justify what sounds like a miscalculated salary. And not enough to move ad dollars. You have to produce numbers against larger audiences than that to budge media buyers. Best of luck Richards!

November 13, 2018 @ 5:21 PM

Sean

@Mike

I heard that, good for him, but I also heard him say that his Youtube show gets 40k views a week. A quick look at the channel would suggest that he's lucky to get 4k.

Maybe its just a radio or sports media thing, I just don't get the need to 'hype' numbers, they are what they are.

November 14, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

bsmntdwllr73

In the immortal (and more timely than ever) words of Chuck D., "DON"T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!"
P.S., I dub this new station titanicAM. You read it here first!!

November 14, 2018 @ 10:26 AM

@Sean

I'm with you. I remember Tie Domi being listed as five foot ten, and then I met him in person...

November 14, 2018 @ 11:07 AM

I chatted with Mike about his Youtube channel.

My channel gets 10K per week, 40K per month...I am sure that is what I said as that is what it is....
November 15, 2018 @ 8:00 AM