Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first. Goody. My Habs won. That's great. That was a wild one. Lots of goals, but my Habs came on top and won that game like my Habs can do. My Cavs didn't do well though. They lost. That's no good. Anyway, my Suns and Nets need to win tonight. My Cardinals are off this weekend, but my Ravens and Browns need to win. Postal strike still going on. It will never end. It's hitting more and more places. Apparently there are still more truckloads of stopped mail. Well, get your fricken act together and get talking. Special mediator. Well, this special mediator isn't that special if he can't get an agreement. Well, hurry up and get one or Justin Trudeau, legislate an end to this nonsense. Do something. My birthday is coming up in six weeks. I want my birthday money.

November 2, 2018 @ 8:23 AM

I feel like I've been taking shots all week, but I realize it's because I'm doing a lot right now. The more you do, the more action you take, the more snark you'll absorb.

This started with Stafford taking a bunch of shots at me on Twitter and his radio show. Apparently, a question I asked Lou Schizas during our two hour conversation hit a nerve.

Then, a different question I asked Lou upset a right wing sect that decided to attack me. The thing is, I was just reading a listener question, as I often do. I had to do some blocking on Twitter and here.

Then I announced something I've been working very hard on behind the scenes, a Diversity in Canadian Sports Media round table. I'm very excited Scott Moore has agreed to be on this panel, for obvious reasons. Who better to shed light on hiring practices and diversity at Sportsnet than Scott Moore?

Firstly, it's my show, so I'm going to be the moderator. A woman DMd me yesterday to say it was inappropriate for a white man to moderate this, but if The Agenda were doing something similar, does she think Steve Paikin would step down and have the show hosted by someone else? I moderate Toronto Mike'd. Full stop.

So there will be three guests, and one will be a white male, and two will not be white males, and I hope it's a frank, open and honest discussion about diversity in Canadian sports media.

November 2, 2018 @ 8:32 AM

If anyone or any company wants to buy Toronto MIke'd a Rode Procaster microphone, I'll name the mic in your honour. Imagine this... "please get right on that Acme Publishing mic".

November 2, 2018 @ 8:39 AM

Rick

Had heard about people taking shots at you. Your response above was very well said.

So, I finally had a chance to actually go into Mamma Martino's and have a meal. As warned, it was a bit of a wait. We went on Friday night around 7 pm and had a group of 5. Parking was chaos. Added to that, there was a haunted house nearby (charging $25 a person to go in!!!). Not sure if I'd be too happy living on this street due to all the on-going traffic. Anyhow, this aside - it was a very enjoyable experience. The prices are very reasonable. The size of the pizza was impressive. My wife liked her lasagna and I rather enjoyed the pizza. The sauce is quite tasty. Our friends also enjoyed everything - one even ordered 'off' the menu and had some angel hair pasta. We certainly would go again, but most likely on during the week and slightly earlier. Can anyone confirm or deny if Tom's Dairy is owned by the same people?

Election Day in the US next week. It will be interesting how this plays out.

My Penguins play the Leafs tomorrow night. Always fun banter for myself pitted against my Leaf friends.

November 2, 2018 @ 9:19 AM

mdoucette77

@Mike it's just silly how no matter how much good people try to do, it's never good enough. Regarding your diversity panel, that is amazing that you are doing it. And for the woman to chastise you for moderating it? If you didn't, who else is going to? Who else has brought attention to the all-white male last supper type photo that the fan590 promoted? And it makes sense to have Scott Moore there, because he was the one in charge, and the one that can be challenged/held accountable. For the woman, or anyone for that matter, to challenge you moderating it, or challenge you on your guest choices without even having revealed the list of guests is immature. You're the one doing something that no one else would. It's not like you stole the idea from a non-white male and decided to do it instead of them.

I teach high school English, and I teach a lot of Black History, Women's Rights, and promote LGBTQ rights in my lessons. I try to teach how literature of any era can teach lessons about how we, as a society, could/should learn and become better. The thing is though, I am a white heterosexual male. If someone were to say to me that I should not teach those topics because I am a white heterosexual male, then those subjects would not be taught. I live in a predominantly white community. About 98% of my students are white, and I'd say definitely have 'white privilege' (for example, a student decided to be Kobe Bryant for school hallowe'en the other day...but painted his face brown. I gave him hell and sent him straight to the office where he had to wash his face. Many/most of my students and students in general couldn't understand why I was so upset and why he had to wash the paint off of his face off. Even when I explained to them how racist blackface is/was they still tried to justify his black face).

The fact is Mike, if you didn't do it, if you didn't raise awareness to it, it would not be discussed and the cycle would continue. Sometimes those with the voice need to speak for those that don't have one yet, so that they can find their own voice and begin to speak out as well. Right now it may seem like the 'haters' are being the loudest, but just know that there are many that support you and what you try to do. The negatives may be the loudest, but hopefully the positive voices are the one's you hear.

November 2, 2018 @ 9:19 AM

Beatts

@mdoucette77 is right on the money and said very eloquently.

I won't be...

Mike, it's your gig. The people that complain are typically the one's who won't lift a damn finger to help so smile, and gently tell them to rub salt.

For ungrateful dicks like Stafford (and I know you're reading this), a hearty go fuck yourself is in order...

November 2, 2018 @ 9:31 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Mike, you know when you have gone from just a guy doing this for a passion project, and into the realm of becoming a broadcaster that has some street cred, and some very real and interesting topics. Some of the pros slinging arrows are probably feeling uncomfortable that someone can actually put some relevant material together.

November 2, 2018 @ 10:04 AM

James Edgar

I wondered it Stafford might be tweeting about you but thought that I was wrong. I haven't listened to Lou's episode so i have no idea what the issue is. I'm hoping to listen later today.

As for the Diversity forum. I'll take my lead from @Beatts" @mdoucette77 is right on the money and said very eloquently."

And will reinforce that fact that it's the Toronto Mike Podcast. Who else would moderate it. The snarks can turn it of if they don't want to hear it. And go fuck themselves as well.

@Mike i think you are paying a price for becoming a bit of a celebrity. Keep doing what you do and fuck the haters .

November 2, 2018 @ 10:14 AM

@Rick

I'm 99% sure that Tom's Dairy Freeze is owned by a different family than Mamma Martino's.

November 2, 2018 @ 10:17 AM

jj

mdoucette77 - coming through with the factuals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TM, you did have a tough week indeed. I love diversity, and I hope your panel does well. In fact, I was watching the game on Tuesday, and the reporter on the court interviewing the players was a young black woman. and i said to my friend - oooh, i love that! it's nice to see representation everywhere.

i look forward to your panel!!!

November 2, 2018 @ 10:47 AM

Dawn Keibals

@ Rick...Tom's is NOT owned by the same family.
FYI / But, the haunted house you speak of IS run by the Martino family.
Hope you sleep well tonight !

November 2, 2018 @ 10:50 AM

H.o.E.

Mike Richards and David Bastl are teasing (YouTube) that they will soon be back on "morning radio" you can hear "in your car, on the way to work", but no more details on whether this is satellite or terrestrial radio, or where or how this will happen. I looked at his Twitter to see if it said anything, and he says "will go on @torontomike next Thursday with the details"

November 2, 2018 @ 10:55 AM

bsmntdwllr73

So today's Sunshine Girl Brooklyn marks a tremendous milestone for the so-called Little Paper That
Grew: She's the first one to openly express her fondness for pot!! Kudos to @1236 for probably
being the only legit news source to make note of this great occasion. Looking forward to that
forthcoming day when it is also acceptable for some of their models to admit to their employment
as ecdysiasts, either past or present!! (NO JUDGMENTS HERE, whatsoever!!!!)

November 2, 2018 @ 11:08 AM

@jj

That woman you saw was former Toronto Mike'd guest Kayla Grey. She was the first person I invited to be a part of my roundtable.

November 2, 2018 @ 12:29 PM

jj

TM - oh snap!!! i'd better listen to her episode. Wicked!

November 2, 2018 @ 12:40 PM

Justin

Finally downloaded Hebsy on Sports for the first time this Monday. Don't know what took me so long!! Listening to the podcast reminded me a) why I loved sportsline (the CHCH version) when it was still on and b) that Hebsy is better than most that currently have shows on terrestrial radio. I like the frequent references to sports history he mixes in with his takes on current-day stories - it's a unique point of differentiation that's hard to find elsewhere.

November 2, 2018 @ 1:37 PM

H.o.E.

I just remembered -- this weekend is the clock change I don't like.
Why doesn't our dignified premier talk to the other premiers and governors of U.S. states to see if they can all agree to stop the pointless clock changing, and stay year round on the time we use in summer? Or will he only want to do this if he finds out the "downtown elites" are opposed?

November 2, 2018 @ 2:17 PM

@Justin

Awesome. Now go tell three friends!

November 2, 2018 @ 2:31 PM

Chuck 99

@H.o.E.

The United States did enact Daylight Time nationwide in the winter of 1974 as an energy conservation measure. The policy has never been repeated because of student safety concerns. Young children were waiting for school buses in the dark, particularly in January, when sunrise occurred at 8 am.

Expanding Daylight Time never seems to work as an energy conservation measure, either. When it was enacted approximately 3 weeks earlier in March 2007, it was found that decreased use of lighting was offset by increased amounts of early evening driving, particularly in warm southern states.

I am not saying that your idea is bad. I am just explaining the issues that were encountered when it was tried in the past.

November 2, 2018 @ 3:20 PM

SOWNYreader

"But, Scott is a white male, and I'm a white male, and even though the other two spots (I'm going to buy, rent, borrow or steal a fourth mic for this one) will be filled by more diverse people in sports media, I started getting tweets and DMs that my diversity panel wasn't diverse enough."

Yup, that's the identity politics arena for you. Just proving that the SJW activist crowd don't care what you stand for or how good your intentions are (or even if you're "on their team"), at the end of the day they look at your skin colour & gender and judge you based on that. To them you'll be looking at it through a "white lens" or a "male lens", and stacking the panel in favour of colonization by having two white males marginalizing and oppressing the other two panelists (in their ideological view at least). To them you shouldn't even be hosting, and step aside to let a guest host who is a minority/POC host that podcast panel instead because you're just privileged to have the platform (podcast) you have, regardless of the work and time you put into it.

And Twitter just propagates all that, like a real-life school yard full of of adults acting like children. It gives all the most angry and outspoken people a platform to go at it with each other, like the whole recent AM640 firing thing (that wasn't handled very well by management in the first place) that has devolved into petty arguments, lawyers, and passive-aggressive posts between the people involved, conspiracy believers on Facebook groups accusing AM640 of becoming far-left, white supremacy posts against hosts (what Greg Carrasco encountered recently on FB), and just a toxic overall environment.

November 2, 2018 @ 3:26 PM

Matt

@SOWNYreader you're bang on. Well said.

November 2, 2018 @ 3:38 PM

Stafford

Only comment I'm going to make because I've been ordered to not do it on anti-social media and there are legal threats.

I have never had a problem helping out someone who wants to promote, while sometimes cheering its demise, the medium of radio. The whole "Why did Stafford fire Fred as his best man" canard was worthy of a teenaged gossip girl. It had nothing to do with the state of the industry but I went along with it because I felt guilty, even though Fred was a vile asshole leading up to my decision. I went on the show and opened up like a bitch. My audio from here was immediately sent over to Humble and Fred, where the "malaka" crap was played over and over. The dynamic duo tied to this host's hip. Whatever. Agreed to come back to spin tunes. Great time. No gossip. Like, honestly, mist of the great audio here.

Lou and others are dismissed from Corus. Nobody was either my hire nor was I told it was happening. Bullshit social media assumes I, at least, knew something about it. I did not reach out to Lou because the whole situation, I was told, was toxic. Lou appears on this page and quite maturely deflects the question of me reaching out. He seemed to understand that it wasn't my call. But the host said that I should have. Fuck. You. Having put the Freddie P. shit behind me with two appearances, I'd had enough, encouraged by a number of industry people who question whether these are "deep dives" or excuses to stir up shit. That would include a number of people who have said "no" for that very reason. For every emtionnaly honest sobfest, there's a poking question that belongs on tabloid television.

Buh-bye. Malaka.

November 2, 2018 @ 4:56 PM

Blue Sky Agency has just stepped up to purchase a fourth microphone for Toronto Mike'd!

Blue Sky Agency is an independent multi-line manufacturer’s rep agency which has quickly established itself as a premiere resource for the Greater Toronto contract furniture specifying and dealer communities.

This is an incredibly gracious gesture!

November 2, 2018 @ 4:58 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Always impressed by the verbose maturity of mainstream media types when they often post on here!!! Absolutely nothing wrong with the occasional stirring of the proverbial pot, especially if it is
timely or relevant. Would expect thicker skin from long-time media veterans. Guess I've got a lot
to learn!!!

November 2, 2018 @ 5:05 PM

@Stafford

Because I helped Humble and Fred launch their podcast, I had heard them discuss the best man thing on their show. It was all hanging out there in public, so when you came on the first time, I felt I could ask about it.

I actually thought your response was great, and thought it would be handled with sensitivity by Humble and Fred. I had absolutely nothing to do with the "malaka" crap and was disappointed they took a candid, real moment and ruined it. I'm very sorry H did that.

Your second visit was great and I felt a rapport. Ask any regular listener and you'll learn that when I bring you up it's always with admiration and often with the "friend of the show" caveat. Heck, I wrote you last month to get you in for a third time simply because I enjoy our conversations so much.

So when you lashed out on me and this show, I was blindsided. Lou's recent episode wasn't at all about you. Your name came up once and it came up as a natural follow-up. It wasn't salacious or gossipy, IMHO.

So this actually hurt, because I wasn't just a fan, but I thought of you as a pal. And I thought you got what I'm trying to do here, and it's not to "stir up shit". I treat every guest with respect and wish for them to leave feeling glad they came. When you left the second time, I honestly thought you were glad you did it, and your remarks on your radio show confirmed my suspicions.

Sorry to see you go. If you want to come back on and talk about this, I'm game, as always.

November 2, 2018 @ 5:15 PM

bsmntdwllr73

The other day, noted local publication Now Magazine released their annual "Readers' Choice"
issue. Frankly, I find the credibility of said annual compendium just slightly above the Toronto Sun's
equally ridiculous yearly list of The People's (s)Will!! In Now's case, far too P.C. and over-pandering to the usual suspects. Anyway, imagine my surprise when I discovered that my current posting location,
The Toronto Reference Library, was voted as their readerships' favourite library, WTF?!? Sure, Now's
compiler explained that this selection was due to the numerous book launches and interesting
literary events that take place within its hallowed halls, but clearly I must be habitually attending
a completely different branch?!? Guess those folks aren't particularly offended by an abundance of
off-putting aromas and excessive anti-social behaviours? And please, the tired argument that the
library is meant for everybody wore out ages ago. In fact, some of the more loose-lipped staff
are just as upset about this unfortunate turn of events, but management doesn't listen to them
either.

November 2, 2018 @ 5:22 PM

Lyle Lanley

It's kind of amazing that I'm reading a letter from Mike Stafford and a response from Toronto Mike about this crazy feud that seems to have come out of nowhere. Now I want you two to kiss and make up.

November 2, 2018 @ 6:47 PM

Jillian

Am I the only one who doesn't know what "malaka" means?

November 2, 2018 @ 6:53 PM

@Jillian

Humble used to enjoy playing a sound effect that was someone saying "ma-cock" and he played this sound effect over top of the clip of Stafford explaining why he fired Fred as his best man.

So "malaka" is actually "ma-cock" although it might have actually been "macaque".

November 2, 2018 @ 6:55 PM

H.o.E.

@Chuck 99 -- The school kids in the dark thing is easily addressed. Any jurisdiction where this may be a problem should know many months ahead of time, and be able to slightly shift their school hours to always be entirely daylight by the start of that school year.
The whole point is that the twice-a-year clock changing can and should be abandoned because it is now a pointless nuisance, regardless or whether or not it ever may have served some purpose in the past.
The subject has already arisen in recent years independently in several states and provinces, and it seems likely that the European Union will soon drop the pointless clock changing.

November 2, 2018 @ 7:18 PM

erred

re : Toronto Mike: "... and thought it would be handled with sensitivity by Humble and Fred."

& that's where you erred .....

November 2, 2018 @ 7:18 PM

Jillian

ok- now I remember- Thanks, Mike!

November 2, 2018 @ 7:43 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I' m with Lyle, hope something positive comes out of this airing of personal feelings/opinions.
On another note, heard Dean Blundell on the Rush Roundtable tonight, whether you like him or not he does have a confident on air presence.

November 2, 2018 @ 10:06 PM

chris

Toronto sports teams overall.
Last year Argos win Grey Cup & this year not in playoffs. TFC wins overall championship & this year not in the playoffs. Jays who knows, but things may be looking up with upcoming players.

Leafs - TOO MUCH HYPE this year & with Matthews on IR & Nylander playing hardball (trade him) the expectations are high & only Andersen has kept them competitive & maybe Marner & Reilly.
Could be a long season again.

November 2, 2018 @ 10:27 PM

Cheryl

My Coyotes played a great game last night. They won it in overtime. My Coyotes are hot now and they'll be in the finals with my Habs. I know this. My Habs play the lightning tonight. Basketball sucked last night My Nets lost. That was no good. They were winning in the first quarter. My Suns also lost. That's no good either. My Cavs better win tonight. Come on Cavs. Football tomorrow. My Ravens and Browns better win. I don't have to worry about the time change. My clocks do it automatically like my computer, Google speaker, and also Amazon echo. I know what you mean about it being a nuisance though. Why do we do it? Phoenix doesn't do it. Postal strike still rotating strikes. This special mediator is not so special. He can't reach an agreement. Okay Justin Trudeau, please legislate an end to this nonsense. Do it. My birthday is coming up in about six weeks on December 12. I had my flu shot yesterday. I get them every year. I want to be protected from the flu. I hate being sick.

November 3, 2018 @ 7:11 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Took my daughters car in for service this morning, and walked up to McDonalds to kill some time. I usually use the drive thru, so haven't seen people using the stand up kiosks for people to use to enter their orders. A good Saturday morning study on seeing that a human at a cash register is faster from my little study. The young lady was plowing orders through while I watched a couple of families struggling with the kiosk order interface, and not having the flexibility to make little changes. Saw one couple give and head to he cash register. Good luck to Sams Club and Walmart with their new fully automated, cashier less stores.
@Cheryl the work stoppages have been on a rotational basis, I haven't really seen any issues with our mail.

November 3, 2018 @ 8:39 AM

bsmntdwllr73

So just wondering, but what are the odds that Google will commemorate December 12th with some
kind of Chief Wahoo-inspired doodle on its home page? C'mon, Toronto Mike'd readers/listeners,
let's start an email campaign to help make it happen!! (or perhaps a seasons' worth of losing Pro-
Line tickets?!?!)

November 3, 2018 @ 9:36 AM

Mr.Dee520

As someone who sells on eBay, these Canada Post strikes every ~2 years are getting ridiculous (last was 2016 when the lockout happened). Both sides need to come to the table and hammer out a deal so this sh!te doesn't keep happening. Lots of people say CP doesn't matter anymore, lettermail is dead, they're a dinosaur, blah blah blah but the fact is they handle a LOT of package traffic from online retailers, and they are still the cheapest way to mail items to/from the US and avoid any of the brokerage/customs/import/etc fees that the larger couriers charge on cross-border shipments (anyone buying/selling on eBay on a regular basis will tell you that).

November 3, 2018 @ 10:43 AM

UI specialist

The McDonalds ordering kiosks are designed terribly and non intuitive. That is why it is so slow.

November 3, 2018 @ 11:59 AM

JJ

Been listening all week to The Getaway, Bullard's new radio gig on AM960 4-7PM with his longtime pal Lawrence Morgenstern, from the old Open Mike talk show. If this isnt raw radio then u tell me what is?

Its typical dry wit humour from Bullard, with sarcastic interjections from Morgenstern who seems to enjoy talking about porn and battling Bullard wit for wit. 2 funny guys.

Mike was even talking about his old girlfriends, not mentioning any names. He even brought up the retraction from the Star about how he never stalked anyone. Fake News.

This is great radio. Its witty. comical, bombastic, sarcastic, no political correctness. & even the interplay with Indira Tara, the update newsgirl is funny & uncomfortable at times. Best show to listen to during those hours.

November 3, 2018 @ 12:01 PM

YUKYUKS1980 Radio

I listened to Bullard’s show yesterday and it was painful listening. So little funny, despite the effort.

November 3, 2018 @ 12:44 PM

bsmntdwllr73

I have never enjoyed Bullard on any level. I cannot believe that even a start-up radio station
would employ him at this point (and my opinion was formed long before the events of the
last several years). Would be nice to see more opportunity given to promising up and coming
broadcasters, and not just the same old revolving door of tired radio has-beens!! His 'What's your
name and where are you from?' nightly audience interaction from his mercifully long-defunct
talk show is right up there in the rather low-hanging pavilions of hack 'comedy'!!!

November 3, 2018 @ 12:52 PM

There is a model out there that might be used by this new Mississauga station. Essentially, you give away the time slot, without compensating the talent. Then, the talent sells their own advertising, because they have the time slot. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what's in place for Bullard.

November 3, 2018 @ 1:17 PM

@Mike
Well, then, I doubt that his latest endeavour will have a very long broadcasting life, especially
if he and his seemingly clueless camp are counting on courting a diverse group of sponsors (especially female-friendly brands). Nuff said!!

November 3, 2018 @ 1:24 PM

The Yuk-Yuk's commenter reminds me that Mark Breslin was scheduled to visit this week but postponed at the last minute. He was going to be the first person to receive a free Palma Pasta lasagna.

November 3, 2018 @ 1:27 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Just occurred to me: Perfect throwback theme songs for the new Bullard radio show: The Police-
"Every Breath You Take", Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me", or Sarah McLachlan's "Possession",
for just a wee little bit of that ironic estrogen-driven touch!!! (And yes, I'm aware of the Star's
recent retractions on this particular subject, but these songs will still get the job done quite nicely,
methinks!).

November 3, 2018 @ 1:29 PM

LieveFamke

@Mike so what kind of deal do your loyal listeners get at Palma Pasta?

November 3, 2018 @ 1:31 PM

@Mike
Breslin's missed opportunity on receiving that first treasured frozen lasagna would be better
served as a futre parting gift for an actual starving local comic, preferably one not affiliated with
that particular organization!!

November 3, 2018 @ 1:32 PM

@LieveFamke

They're just setting up the promocode now, so I don't know the specifics, but there will definitely be a discount for Toronto Mike'd listeners.

November 3, 2018 @ 1:33 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, missed a "U" in future above!! Will undoubtedly happen again, probably later this
afternoon!!!

November 3, 2018 @ 1:33 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: You've gotta try and get TJ Connors back in to kick out the jams before he leaves for Winnipeg.

November 3, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

He's jammed with the move, but he promises to come on and kick out the jams when he's in town for CMW in May.

November 3, 2018 @ 2:05 PM

Urooj Islam

CFL coverage in this city is so uneven, TSN covers it way too much and Sportsnet completely ignores it.

I had no idea that Trestman got fired. Bad firing, he had nothing to work with this year after the Ray injury.

November 3, 2018 @ 4:50 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Do we know who's taking over for TJ on HTZ?

November 3, 2018 @ 5:30 PM

H.o.E.

If that's how that new Mississauga station works, is that where Mike Richards is going? His podcast has sponsors, and a morning show is the only major time slot I don't see listed in their line-up on Wikipedia. Richards also said something about waiting to announce this for about a year, and it seems this station has only recently started finally broadcasting after years of delays.

November 3, 2018 @ 6:43 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

Not even TJ knows...

November 3, 2018 @ 9:14 PM

H.o.E.

Mike Richard's going to make the announcement on my show this coming Thursday, and I'll find out then. But that's a great guess.

November 3, 2018 @ 9:14 PM

Matt

TJ didnt last too long at HTZ. Didnt even know he was leaving. When did that news drop?

November 4, 2018 @ 5:30 AM

Cheryl

This was not a great sports night last night. My Habs lost. They started off okay, but then they lost. Carey Price allowed four goals. I can't believe it. My Habs lost. Also my Cavs lost again. Yes again. When will they ever fricken win again? Well, some football today. My Browns and Ravens better win. Also basketball as my Nets and Suns better win. You never know. Toronto could be hit with the strike again. Who knows. I have no idea. Anyway, Trudeau should legislate them back to work. What if they go on strike in Toronto a couple days before December 12? This special mediator is not so special. They're probably not even talking.

November 4, 2018 @ 7:17 AM

Sid_V from NY via London

@Cheryl, you are right about the Special Mediator. A better name is Average Mediator.

For the sake of everyone selling on eBay, waiting for birthday money, or buying mail-order cannabis, I hope the Average Mediator resolved this soon.

November 4, 2018 @ 9:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Paging Harvey Birdman, Attorney-At Law. He'll most certainly get it done!!

November 4, 2018 @ 1:46 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Fuck you time change! You suck ass! Woke up at what I thought was 7:15 this morning cause I couldn't sleep. Clock on my night table says 7:15. Get outa bed and go to the living room my tv says 6:15...FUCK!! That extra hour of sleep nonsense is just that...nonsense. Ok...I'm done now.

November 4, 2018 @ 3:17 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: Seen your twitter post about working on an ep with Ray Ferraro. If you can make that happen its gonna be awesome. This is one that I really hope you won't have time constraints. I'm sure that guy has lots of stories and I'm not sure 30 or 45 minutes would really do it justice.

November 4, 2018 @ 3:20 PM

bsmntdwllr73

My Top 6 Hard Rock(ish)-Themed Sleep Songs, well, just because (in no part. order, BTW!):

#1A & 1B "Enter Sandman"/"Until It Sleeps"-Metallica
#2. "Sleep Now In The Fire"-Rage Against The Machine
#3."Behind The Wall Of Sleep"-Black Sabbath
#4. 'Sleeping On The Sidewalk"-Queen
#5. "No Sleep Till Brooklyn"-Beastie Boys (+Slayer's Kerry King on Guitar!)

Plus one bonus straight-up, underrated rock track: "Behind The Wall of Sleep"-The
Smithereens (no, not a Sabbath cover!!)

November 4, 2018 @ 3:27 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

I chatted with Ray today and he said he's happy to do it but wouldn't have time until January.

In related news, I chatted with Jerry Howarth yesterday and he'd like to come over in April.

November 4, 2018 @ 7:02 PM

@Matt

September 28

.@tjconnorstweets called me the other day and I reminded him he was to come back and kick out the jams with me. He hinted that he'd better do it soon, but couldn't tell me why.

Today he revealed that he's leaving @977HTZFM for @921citi in Winnipeg. He's goin' home.

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) September 28, 2018
November 4, 2018 @ 7:51 PM

Cheryl

Football sucked yesterday. My Ravens and Browns both lost. This really sucked. Basketball was better. My Nets and Suns both won. My Cavs better win tonight. I can't believe my Cavs are at the bottom of the league. When will they win again? You're right. This mediator is an average mediator. I just found out the postal workers are out in Scarborough today, another big plant. Justin Trudeau needs to force them back to work. This is the only way they'll be back before December 12, so everyone write emails to Justin Trudeau and get him to force them back. They were legislated back the last time, but we had different Government last time. This mediator is no special mediator at all. He's average. They're not even talking.

November 5, 2018 @ 7:08 AM

Periodically someone will post here that Toronto has become too dangerous. Often it's from someone who's been living in the suburbs for decades, but sometimes it's someone who is leaving the city for this reason.

It's pretty interesting to check out this Macleans piece about Canada's most dangerous places. Toronto ranks #131, despite the fact we experienced the mass van attack murder and had our first serial killer in quite some time. Here's the link: https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places-2019/

Your next challenge is to name 130 other places in this country. Good luck!

November 5, 2018 @ 8:52 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I recently resumed listening to Alan Cross's excellent Ongoing History Of New Music after a
very lengthy hiatus. Last night's episode was called "Alternative Indigenous" and featured a lot
of great music that I was largely unfamiliar with to date. Among the selections was "Trail of
Tears" by Testament. TESTAMENT!! Never thought that I would hear Testament on 102.1 The
Edge. In fact, the only terrestrial radio plugs they ever received were probably way back in
the day on metal programs hosted by HTZ FM and Q107 during the Witching Hours!! So
kudos to Mr. Cross for letting it get somewhat loud on his show for six minutes and six
seconds. Holding out breathless hope for upcoming programs dedicated toExtreme Swedish Death Metal and Crust Punk in the very near future!! P.S., the almighty Redbone received a well-merited
mention, but neither "Come And Get Your Love" nor "The Witch Queen of New Orleans" were aired. Fer shame!!!

November 5, 2018 @ 10:32 AM

H.o.E.

In three weeks -- Mon. Nov. 26 at about 3 p.m. -- I will be landing on Mars, along with William Shatner and more than 2.4 million others. More accurately, ours names are on a pair of dime-sized chips attached to the Insight lander.

November 5, 2018 @ 10:58 AM

jj

TM - what is dangerous is the thinking patterns of Toronto citizens, and all citizens. I feel safe, but the way people THINK, leads to decisions that are harmful to the city. :(

Meanwhile I am so sleepy because I stayed up til 3am watching Netflix - SMH. Also, my cousin's cat is coming to stay with us for 10 days :D :D :D she is floofy and sweet.

November 5, 2018 @ 10:58 AM

@H.o.E.
Congratulations, I guess? Seeing as I often feel like I originated from another planet, I don't really
have much interest in returning to space. Still trying to figure out this human being thang, and
generally not doing too well with that as it largely stands!!

November 5, 2018 @ 11:04 AM

Matt

Thanks Mike, i'm not on any social media so I missed this announcement. Curious to see who will be the new drive announcer.

November 5, 2018 @ 11:26 AM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto MIke

One of those commenters you alluded to was counting GTA murders almost with glee every week. It was a weird time but that's what happens when people are looking for something to verify their emotional outlook on the world.

November 5, 2018 @ 3:38 PM

@Urooj Islam

I think if you're born and raised in Toronto and then make the big decision to leave the city for the suburbs you're always looking for data that validates your decision. So you see the big city as a scary place because that reinforces your decision to cut bait and run.

Today, of course, there's one very good reason to move out of the city, and that's the ever-rising cost of home ownership. But if you're leaving because you feel unsafe, you're building your house on sand.

November 5, 2018 @ 5:01 PM

bobby j

Toronto does rate "higher" than all of its surrounding neighbours save for Hamilton on that list though. The biggest risk of living in Toronto is having the leafs break your heart repeatedly imo and it's quite safe overall just maybe a little less so than its surrounding areas.

November 5, 2018 @ 9:00 PM

jj

I love Scarborough! Just want to say that. I am eternally grateful my parents settled down
here. It's amazing.

November 5, 2018 @ 10:40 PM

Cheryl

I am so angry. My Cavs almost won last night. They lost it in the last few seconds of the game. Makes me so mad. Will my Cavs ever win again? What if they go 1 and 81 this season? Has any team done that? Well, my Habs had a good comeback win even though it was a shootout. No Carey Price though. He had a day off. My Coyotes lost another one. That's no good as well. Anyway, postal strike still going on. Come on guys. My birthday is in five weeks. Get your act together, or Trudeau, get your act together and legislate an end to the postal strike.

November 6, 2018 @ 6:18 AM

How about those Raptors?!?!

10-1, won easily again last night on the road without Kawhi, this team is sizzling hot right now.

November 6, 2018 @ 8:12 AM

@jj

We're happy to have you!

By the way, if anyone from Oshawa is reading this, I'll be in your fine city tomorrow speaking at Durham College. I have a rule for such things that I'm breaking here. My rule is, if I can bike to it, I'll do it. I won't be biking to Oshawa.

November 6, 2018 @ 8:17 AM

jj

TM - thank you! As I get older, I realized just how fortunate I am that my parents chose Toronto.

Enjoy Oshawa! Have fun on your talk!

November 6, 2018 @ 8:35 AM

Beatts

Mike, I work in Courtice (10 minutes from the 'Shwa) thanks for the warning! ;)

Avoid south Oshawa.

And Elvis' place.

November 6, 2018 @ 9:17 AM

@Beatts

Is Durham College in the south? I know Elvis is waaaaaayyyy north.

November 6, 2018 @ 9:20 AM

bsmntdwllr73

#1. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades!!

#2. Scarborough is great, aside from the clusterfuck currently occurring long-term in the immediate
area surrounding Kennedy Station. Nightmare of the highest order to navigate, especially for
pedestrians. Should really be turned into some kind of TV adventure reality program. Kinda feel like
I'm participating in the human equivalent of a throwback game of Frogger when I'm out there!
Only 3 or so years (decades?!?) to go until the completion of the LRT. Can I please get an "AMEN"?

November 6, 2018 @ 9:51 AM

Beatts

Damn Mike, Do you Google? ;)

November 6, 2018 @ 10:14 AM

bsmntdwllr73

sigh, Google is my best (and only friend), aside from my MetroPass and library card!! Would
totally be lost without it. In fact, kinda helped me find my way to the Toronto Mike'd universe
on the heels of an acquaintance's suggestion. So now you all KNOW what to blame for my
continued habitual presence on here!!!

November 6, 2018 @ 10:24 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - oh yeah, that Kennedy Station intersection now is a mess. Luckily I don't go there too often, so discombobulated.

I can count the number of times I have been to Oshawa - maybe three? Once when my ex was going to school there, once to buy some DVDs and once for a birthday party last summer...! Oh and once to pick up my sister after she and her ex had a fight. Good times.

I love Google!

November 6, 2018 @ 10:38 AM

@jj
I hear that after midnight it is a real nightmare to get out of there, especially if you are looking
to simply walk out. The bus bay situation is also constantly in flux and quite mind-numbing to
boot!! Google's great, but sometimes I 'cheat' with Bing, Firefox, and Yahoo. #SearchEnginePromiscuous!!

November 6, 2018 @ 10:43 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - I was dropping my mom off this year, and that's when I discovered how bad it is. How sucky to try and navigate it at night when you just want to go home. Personally, I just use Google, the others seem not as good?

November 6, 2018 @ 10:47 AM

jj
Google is the best, but so often the computers of TPL are beyond messed up and there is no
other sane choice but to use an alternative. As for Kennedy Station, my Sweetie works quite
late half of the time, so I have heard all kinds of horror stories from her on this topic. It would
seem like almost every week there is some kind of new diversion.

November 6, 2018 @ 10:54 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - your poor sweetie. i remember when i worked downtown ages ago, the RT was always stopping early, so it was a mad dash to get upstairs and catch it. nevermind when the subway wasn't running between yorkmills and finch, for like almost 7 years? :/ hopefully kennedy stn resolves the issues soon, but i doubt it.

November 6, 2018 @ 11:09 AM

@jj
And the other half of her shifts are always early on weekend mornings when one line or the other
is usually down for those inevitable repairs and/or dreaded LRT construction! Her co-workers all work lat least 2 full-time jobs to afford their cars and the assorted adjacent costs.

November 6, 2018 @ 11:15 AM

H.o.E.

Google map bicycling directions to Durham College from New Toronto say it would take 4 hours and 16 minutes each way -- probably not a realistic choice, certainly in November. But even public transportation would take 2 and half hours.

November 6, 2018 @ 11:21 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Alarming video exists on Youtube of former KISS member Vinnie Vincent sporting his classic
ANKH makeup onstage alongside a band called Four By Fate (consisting of several former
Ace Frehley associates). This dude is nearly 70 and although he has lost a substantial amount
of weight since he first re-appeared earlier this year, his current appearance is still somewhat
shocking to behold. Also, there is posted video of Ace jamming with KISS (and Bruce Kulick) on the latest edition of their KISS KRUISE. And Paul Stanley's voice has never been worse, despite the apparent Milli Vanilli-esque 'sweetening'!!

November 6, 2018 @ 11:29 AM

jj

H.o.E. - it is probably 25- 30 mins from Scarborough where I am, and I am right off the highway. Closer than Brampton, but the drive to Brampton goes quick when there is no traffic. It is just far... LOL

bsmntdwllr73 - wow. your sweetie and her co workers are a hard working bunch. i wish things were not so expensive, that's for sure. but that's why i still prefer to get a car, the TTC is so unreliable for day to day stuff, unfortunately.

November 6, 2018 @ 11:56 AM

@jj
Yeah, things sure are expensive, especially when you are trying to subsist on social assistance!!
P.S., one of my Sweetie's co-workers is a former truck driver and he recently got nailed for
speeding (late for work), and he is potentially looking at a tremendous fine (of up to $10 grand) because it was at least the third time he'd been caught. Stories like that make me feel fortunate that I was never able to become a driver!!

November 6, 2018 @ 12:03 PM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - oh man, poor guy!! that sucks, but it is the law so hopefully the fine isn't that high.

i am not a great driver, but i got it so i could get around easier. and definitely, life is expensive just trying exist on social assistance and not much else. sigh!

November 6, 2018 @ 12:08 PM

@jj
I think that her co-worker had various other driving infractions back to his previous career as
a trucker, and that is why he is potentially facing such an enormous fine. Plus, it cost him a
fortune to get his car back after it was towed, and he wound up missing a couple of weeks of
work as well, due to court and such.

November 6, 2018 @ 12:12 PM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - oh yeah, you did mention he was a trucker before. that sucks, because i am sure he did not want to be late, and now it will cost more than being late would have, i presume? :/

November 6, 2018 @ 1:13 PM

@jj
Sure sounds like it!!

November 6, 2018 @ 1:48 PM

dale

I don't see the Andy Kim podcast episode.
One of the ones I really want to hear.

November 6, 2018 @ 2:36 PM

@dale

I had a couple of appointments after the Andy Kim recording so I only had time to update the XML and push it to subscribers.

All 90 minutes is now here: http://www.torontomike.com/2018/11/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_394.html

November 6, 2018 @ 3:10 PM

Broni

@Mike
You could take your bike on the GoTrain out to Oshawa, as long as it's outside of rush hour.

November 6, 2018 @ 9:14 PM

Beatts

Just watched the Leafs win and switched over to the Hab's game to see them let in 4 unanswered goals to lose to the Rangers.

I eagerly await Cheryl's update in the morning :)

November 6, 2018 @ 9:48 PM

@Broni

The problem is how damn north of the Go Station this Durham College is... so even if I bike to Mimico and Go Train it to Oshawa, I still have a 40 minute bike ride. And because I speak at 10am and am dropping off the kids at kindergarten / day care, the math just doesn't work.

So I'll drive and hope it's an hour and not two.

November 6, 2018 @ 10:07 PM

Cheryl

That was disgusting. My Habs lost. It's awful. That's no good at all. Why did that have to happen? Well, it did. Well, they'll heat up and start winning again. I know they will. My Cavs play tonight and they better win. Postal workers are off the job again in Toronto. That's no good. It won't end by December 12. That's awful. Anyway, Trudeau, get your ass together and legislate them back to work, but I didn't even vote for you, Justin, and I never will because he just does absolutely nothing. I'm not voting NDP either because they're too pro union. I guess the only other option is Conservative. At least they do stuff like legislate people back to work. I mean the mail is really piling up and the postal workers are not even talking. Actually this mediator is not average. He is poor. He does absolutely nothing.

November 7, 2018 @ 7:12 AM

Beatts

There it is. That's the good stuff :)

November 7, 2018 @ 7:53 AM

Sid_V from NY via London

I want Cheryl to be appointed the new Special Mediator. Please phone Justin Trudeau and let him know!

November 7, 2018 @ 8:43 AM

Sid_V from NY via London

November 7, 2018 @ 8:43 AM

@Beatts
And I thought that II was bored!! Looking forward to your next round of predictions regarding all
upcoming post-game postings related to the continued tanking of Les Canadiens!! #EvenBetterTheRealThing!

November 7, 2018 @ 9:17 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Good to know that if I ever lose access to my one channel TV universe, I'll still be able to log
on here in a couple of years and continue to get my daily updates on that postal service imbroglio!
At least it is potentially keeping me from seeing my ODSP statement and finally realizing
that "I'm Poorer Than I Think!!" (Long story, but along with my never-ending bathroom situation,
I also need assistance in accessing my mailbox as it is warped). First world problems indeed!!

November 7, 2018 @ 9:22 AM

Philly-Bob

Hey Mike,

I was at the Leafs Game with a customer last night. He's looking for some help with his website and social media presence.

I'm not sure if you still offer those services, but your name came to mind so I thought I'd ask.

November 7, 2018 @ 3:58 PM

@Philly-Bob

The side hustle is now the full-time gig!

I'd love to chat with your customer.

Thanks!

November 7, 2018 @ 4:12 PM

Urooj Islam

Mike Richards coming up soon on Toronto Mike'd. Hope Rob J listens and is around for this one, it would make me very happy.

November 7, 2018 @ 11:27 PM

Cheryl

Well, another bad night for my Cavs. They lost again. Will they ever win? That's awful. Barfalo is at my Habs tonight. Habs better win. My Coyotes play the Flyers again. Coyotes better win. My Suns also better win. Well, listen to this. I don't know if it's right or not, but the security guard told me the postal strike will last until at least Black Friday. Come on. That's two weeks from tomorrow. The mail will be even more piled up and I'll never get my birthday money. It's awful. No, Justin Trudeau is not a very good Prime Minister. He really isn't, but neither was his father. Back in 1981, his father didn't legislate the postal strike back either. I think and really think they should be legislated back to work, put an end to this utter nonsense.

November 8, 2018 @ 6:39 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Barfalo, BARFALO? Isn't that a Chef Boyardee or Franco-American canned 'pasta'item? Possible copyright infringement?!? And say, what ever happened to Anonamass and all of his snazzy urinary-tract related puns related to our beloved Las Vegas Golden Showers? His noted, lengthy absence has indeed been a real pisser on here!!! Please come back. I'll get my rain coat, umbrella and Wellies out of storage just in case.

November 8, 2018 @ 9:21 AM

jj

My team is 11 - 1, and I am very happy about it. Hoping we can continue to build and be strong throughout the season.

My car hunt is slow, and I spent $93 on a rental this weekend because I have a wedding in Woodbridge and Vaughn. Life!

November 8, 2018 @ 11:40 AM

Anonamass

@dwllr73..still here (on occasion )..just got sick of getting shirt on all the time just cause I had an opinion about something...
If I only had a trainer or security guard to tell me what my opinion is.....oh well..

May your weekend be filled with Golden Showers !!!!

November 8, 2018 @ 3:18 PM

@Anonamass
Good to know that you are still out there full of...PISS and Vinegar (ideal potato chip flavour for folks who hate themselves (HI THERE!) or who are just trying to fight the never-ending battle of the bulge!!

P.S., ignore the bleeding hearts, P.C. Police and the usual humour-less hordes. Absolutely nothing wrong with an occasional burst of impromptu Golden Shower(s)-related humour. The yellower the better, jus' sayin!! Although I can't say that I'll be indulging in any of that kinda specialized thing
myself!

As for security guards and personal trainers, can't say I have much use for the former and I certainly
can't afford the later. More inclined to use the well-informed and reasonably priced services of the
Dionne Warwick Psychic Friends Network, although pretty sure that noble enterprise died a fair
ways back, no?!? You'd think someone so psychically in tune would have seen the danger signs before that nasty decline. And where were all her musical pals from that mid-'80s charity classic when that happened? (Probably buried in lines of coke!)

November 8, 2018 @ 3:33 PM

Urooj Islam

Good to see you, Anonomass! Slow start for your Golden Showers this year, a mere trickle.

Just be yourself and don't worry about the opinions of people who are okay with someone posting the same thing every day for 6 years.

November 8, 2018 @ 6:02 PM

H.o.E.

When I walk past a gym, I'm always puzzled by the number of people I see using (and I assume paying to be there) machines to simulate stairs -- probably then going home to their condos and apartments where they use the elevators and completely ignore the actual stairs they could use as much they want for no addition cost.

November 8, 2018 @ 6:04 PM

jj

Everyone is free to comment and say whatever they like - some people want to harp on Cheryl for her posts and who she is, so why exactly are you upset if someone treats you the same way.

Let everyone post in peace, once they're not racist hate fuelled posts it is fine. but making fun of someone is not cool, in any way shape or form.

November 9, 2018 @ 9:01 AM