Dave Hodge Returns to Hockey Night in Canada For One Night Only

If you were watching Hockey Night in Canada yesterday, you witnessed the return of Dave Hodge for the first time since the pen flip heard across the country.

Dave Hodge joined Ron MacLean on the desk, both sporting replicas of the old Hockey Night in Canada baby blue blazers. It was quite the sight.

hodge-maclean

Here's the segment before the Leafs pummelled the Flyers, in case you missed it.

When Ron asked Dave if he was retired, Dave said "involuntarily". This man needs to be broadcasting, whether about sports or music or both. I wish he'd podcast.

Speaking of podcasting, here are episodes of my podcast featuring Dave Hodge and Ron MacLean.

W

Ah, the good old days when things were much simpler. You wear those blazers in a bar & you are definitely going home with one lovely lady.

MacClean is too pretentious. He is the hockey officienado which would usually get you beaten up for being such a douche.

Hodge & Howie Meeker were a great mix.

November 25, 2018 @ 3:13 PM

Blind Dave

Great memories, thank you. Love Dave Hodge. Super smart and a class act.

November 25, 2018 @ 9:20 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I was playing Saturday night in Milton and I noticed the powder blue jackets on the the TVs and wondered what was going on.

This is a great clip and you can see Dave trying to behave with what he said and Ron even steering him away from certain topics. I wish they wouldn't pretend things didn't happen. Isn't Dave's 'Incident' on HNIC ancient history? Aren't all involved parties gone from that incident? Wouldn't it be an interesting story to tell to new HNIC viewers? It is part of HNIC history, why so afraid to talk about it? As much as I cringe when Cherry is on these days, I bet he wouldn't pull any punches when talking about that stuff.

November 26, 2018 @ 11:25 AM

Pete

In the first few minutes, it sounded like he was fighting back tears, both talking about the legends of HNiC past as well as donning the powder blue jacket again. Then towards the end, he came across as curmudgeon and pricky, which to be honest, he's always comes across that way to me. But his status and talent is undeniable.

Don't know if MacLean was insinuating that perhaps he will be seen more often on HNiC, especially since he is unemployed, but wouldn't that be something.

Those powder blue jackets are dynamite. I love me anything nostalgic.

November 26, 2018 @ 11:57 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

And, as Toronto Mike'd listeners know, Dave Hodge wasn't even fired for that incident.

November 26, 2018 @ 1:12 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Right! I just don't understand why people refuse to talk about things that everyone knows happened as if they didn't happen. Hodge's last appearance on HNIC is noteworthy and even historic. I had the same issue with the HNIC theme. everyone knows why they can't use it anymore, so why not discuss it?

November 26, 2018 @ 1:22 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

Especially since CBC lost the theme to Bell Media, and HNIC is now owned by Rogers.

November 26, 2018 @ 3:53 PM

Chuck 99

@Pete

I agree. Dave sounded very emotional during the first few minutes of that segment. He definitely regained his usual form during the last couple of minutes.

November 26, 2018 @ 4:51 PM

@JohnnyO_71

Dave is a goddamned treasure. I'd love to see him back on any of the hockey broadcasts, but especially on HNIC. I mean, if I have to constantly listen to Greg Miller with his dopey "That's right Joe!" Canadian accent nail->chalkboarding my brain every week, surely I can have Dave class it up once in a while, no?

November 26, 2018 @ 5:22 PM

Anonymous

Don Cherry's jacket was notable:

(Not sure how to link directly to the exact one, but ... you'll spot it)

November 27, 2018 @ 3:13 PM