When the City Sets You Up to Crash #biketo

I attended the Million Pound Game this afternoon at Lamport Stadium, and after a disappointing Wolfpack loss, rode my bike west to enjoy dinner with the fam. On the Waterfront Trail, just west of Norris Crescent, I was set up to fail by the city itself.

I was cruising around 22 km/h in the new separated bike lane between Norris Crescent and First Street when I suddenly crashed to the ground. In my life, which includes approximately 50,000 km of city cycling, I have only ever crashed due to rain, snow, ice, or most recently, a bike-on-bike collision by the Palais Royale. This time, I hit the ground hard, and had no idea what caused the crash.

Luckily, unlike my last crash, no bones were broken. I scraped my leg and tore up my hand, but otherwise survived unscathed. An Uber driver and his customer witnessed my crash, and once they discovered I was okay, were quick to point out I had hit this stump where a sign was once posted. I took a couple of pictures of this stump I hit. I didn't see it, but it sure took me out.

20181007_165510

20181007_165520

I was so angry, because it's one thing to crash due to mother nature, and another thing to crash because a cyclist veers into you, but this is completely unacceptable. The city cut down a sign and left a six inch stump without so much as a pylon in place to alert cyclists like myself. Its pure luck that I didn't break anything and my bike is relatively okay. I put my chain back on and slowly pedaled home.

20181007_165829-1

2018-10-08_08-48-07

I'm contacting 311 and asking them to either remove this stump or put a marker on top so cyclists can see it and avoid it. It's tough enough to cycle in this city, we certainly don't need to be set up for failure.

Rick C in Oakville

Glad you came away intact. This isn't uncommon for the city, you see it in the Stars Fixers column all the time.
My question ( and maybe one for your lawyer to ask );) is what type of moron they have hired that thinks leaving a stump sticking up like this is part of the protocol.
You don't have to be too sharp to figure that this could seriously injure someone.
Maybe a call to the city legal department is necessary.

October 7, 2018 @ 9:27 PM

Broni

I ride that section of Lake Shore Blvd on night rides in the dark often. That could have happened to anyone. Hopefully it gets fixed, and you heal, quickly.

October 8, 2018 @ 3:37 PM

Rush Mike

Ouch !. Hope you heal up quick Mike. This could have been much much worse.
I agree with Rick C, make a call to the City Tuesday morning.

October 8, 2018 @ 3:43 PM

jj

I hope you are ok, this is indeed scary and dangerous. I've encountered one of them myself, but I was in my mom's car - and if she hadn't screamed, I would have driven right over it :/ ridiculous for them to be left in this manner.

October 9, 2018 @ 8:32 AM

Cambo

This is the kind of shitty work the City needs to get in line. Notice the fire hydrant- fire personnel could easily trip over it as well.

Maybe grab a can of orange spray paint- until the city gets off their duffs. Then email a picture of that to the city.

October 9, 2018 @ 8:54 AM

James Edgar

Glad you're ok relatively speaking. Leaving that stump is stupid beyond belief.

October 9, 2018 @ 9:53 AM

Wefewee

Seriously, you should contact Jack Lakey at the Toronto Star.
He makes his living reporting this kind of stuff and would likely relish the opportunity to feature you and your incident.
It could have been a lot worse.

October 9, 2018 @ 10:06 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Glad to read that your injuries weren't overly serious. Perhaps it might be time to invest in some
indestructible space-age riding gear?!? Or maybe I have just gone and confused reality again with the
mighty Marvel Universe? (Please see Reed Richards' Unstable Molecules "clothing line" in the
Fantastic Four (and beyond), or perhaps don't, if you have largely outgrown such childish pursuits!!!).
I totally concur with the previous suggestions regarding contacting that Fixer gentleman from the
Toronto Star. He might also make for a good Real Talk interview as well. It would be a perfect
opportunity to play that Pearl Jam track again while also doubling as an additional shout-out to
your latest sponsor!

October 9, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

Rick

Glad to hear you are relatively OK and will be healed up soon. Bare minimum they should spray paint in neon orange that area to alert people. Being lazy is one thing, but if you are going to be that stupid, at least somehow notify people of this massive danger.

October 9, 2018 @ 12:56 PM

Rick C in Oakville

bsmntdwllr73, you are always thinking ahead for content! Even though I don't live in the Tdot , I have always been around it for 55+ years.
Only thing controversial out here is the Glen Abbey conversion to housing, oh and maybe one of of my neighbours choice of Adidas shorts when cutting his lawn.

October 9, 2018 @ 6:19 PM

Urooj Islam

Holy shit, dude, glad you were able to walk away with only superficial injuries.

That is a literal death trap, almost hard to believe that it was just left there or not spotted by another cyclist or passerby. Horrific job by the city.

October 9, 2018 @ 8:57 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Rick C in Oakville
Try to sneakily take a photo of your neighbour in his "inappropriate"
shorts the next time he deigns to wear them whilst cutting the lawn!
Then find the ideal moment to casually go and show him and
hopefully this will lead to a timely realization about his ill-advised
choice of wardrobe. But don't be too cheeky about it, 'cause it seems
like this fella already has has that little unseemly corner all sewn up!!
P.S., Mike, I hope your recovery is continuing on nicely. What? I had
to at least make a feeble attempt at remaining topical!

October 10, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

Douglas

Mike, if you make any contact with the City, let us know what happens (or not), please.

Rick C - As a former resident of Oakville, and not far from Glen Abbey, the thought of that beautiful land turning into ultra monster homes residential real estate turns my stomach. Money talks (sigh).

October 10, 2018 @ 11:40 AM

I tweeted 311 Toronto who said they were sending someone to look at it on Sunday (the day of the accident) but on Monday when I biked by it I saw it was still exposed. I tied a yellow bag to it late Monday. I'll bike by it tomorrow to see if the city has fixed things properly.

October 10, 2018 @ 2:35 PM

@Brian

Tomorrow hasn't come yet!

Today I had to bike west to Mississauga. :)

October 10, 2018 @ 4:29 PM

Update! They covered the stump with a big marker.

October 11, 2018 @ 2:02 PM

Cambo

So instead of actually fixing the problem, they put a Pilon over it to deal with it another day...2019?

Would it have taken much for a carbon saw to cut out?

October 11, 2018 @ 6:32 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Cambo, So if some high teens want to pull a prank, they can toss the pilon into traffic, and the stub is exposed again. I do service for a living and the cost to send out some local416 pilon pusher, versus someone to actually replace the sign are virtually the same. Just gives the maintenance manager a chance to tick this off their box.

October 11, 2018 @ 7:31 PM

GW

What a bunch of douche bags? The moment they took that sign down, someone on the crew should of seen the potential problem.

If I were you Mike, I would be LIVID. Sue the bastards for their incompetence.

October 13, 2018 @ 2:21 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Mike's legal team needs to mobilize!

October 13, 2018 @ 2:58 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Rick C in Oakville
I'd suggest that Mike go with the very TV-Famous Preszler Law Firm, especially now that an
actual Preszler is fronting their latest ads!! Or maybe he could somehow convince either
Peter Silverman or Dale Goldwhawk to come out of retirement and stir the proverbial shit
up, on his behalf, in their own inimitable fashions!! What I wouldn't give to hear one more
current "WATCH IT, BUDDY!!!" Hey, I lead a sad, shallow life. A man-child can dream, can't he?!?

October 13, 2018 @ 4:14 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@bsmntdwllr73, I work in medical equipment service , and if we take something off line for repair, we have to follow through to make sure, it isn't used, and it is back on line for use ASAP. As I mentioned the city gets a pass most of the time, and the Fixer column puts their feet to the fire, which it should. Seems to be alot of buck passing within the city departments.
If Silverman Helps would do a TM episode, plus fix the stub, that would be Gold(Hawk) worthy.
Wonder how long the Pilon stays in place before being actually fixed poperly?
Subscribing......

October 13, 2018 @ 6:52 PM

T

If Peter Silverman from City-TV was still around, he would definitely get to the bottom of this & it would definitely be taken care of....PROMPTO!!!

Loved that guy.

October 14, 2018 @ 4:36 PM

T

Sorry RIck C, didnt read your comment. Me bad.

October 14, 2018 @ 4:37 PM

BFD

Holy shit! That is unbelievable! It is beyond absurd that is still there!

October 16, 2018 @ 8:00 PM