Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 387: For Gord

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 387In this 387th episode, Mike is joined by Jamie Dew and Tyler Campbell on the anniversary of Gord Downie's passing. This episode is exactly 1:55:26.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Hip

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Rush Mike

What a great way to honor Gord Downie (and The Hip) on the anniversary of his passing with a KOTJ episode. So appreciated the commentary along with the great track selections.

October 17, 2018 @ 8:25 PM

KR

Nothing says I have no class better than wearing a T-Shirt with FUCK on it.

October 18, 2018 @ 8:58 PM

chris

Mike, did your younger kids see the t shirts you & other was wearing on this episode?
Splain that word to your children.

October 18, 2018 @ 9:26 PM

@chris

It's just a word. Chill. My kids will be fine.

@KR

LOL!

October 18, 2018 @ 9:27 PM

Steve

Listened to this episode 3X
So damn good
Well done

October 19, 2018 @ 12:43 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode. Loved the insight on each track!

October 19, 2018 @ 3:49 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
(This photo almost resembles a more well-groomed ZZ Top album insert pic in that there are two
bearded-dudes and one without, 'cept that Frank Beard (Irony!!) usually sports a fine 'stache !!)

Anyhoo, what an emotional and beyond heartfelt episode. First, I totally concur with what was
said about Gord Sinclair's fantastic bass playing. Remarked on this as well last year after a couple
of viewings of the "Long Time Running" documentary.Yes, he doesn't always get enough credit or notice for his precise playing, but such is often the overlooked role of the noble, ever-steady bass
player. Second, nice shout-out to Cheapies Records in Hamilton. When my brother lived in Hamilton I used to shop there all the time. One of the last great GTHA record stores, for sure!! And finally, although in some circles "Road Apples" might be considered an underrated album, it has
always been my personal favourite. Well, other than a brief period where it alternated with "Day
For Night" (with "Trouble at the Henhouse" not too far behind). Really can't go wrong either way,
mind you. Nice work, gentlemen.

October 20, 2018 @ 10:09 AM

Tyler Campbell

Cheapies and Dr. Disc were the best stores in Hamilton, and they're both still there!

October 20, 2018 @ 10:28 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Tyler Campbell
Yeah, I spent considerate money at Dr. Disc as well!! Hard to believe that there was a time
when there were actually two Cheapies locations basically across from each other in the
vicinity of the Eaton Centre (late 1980s). I'm still totally a brick and mortar, physically items-hoarding
Luddite, so I really miss the heyday of the proverbial vinyl emporium.

October 20, 2018 @ 10:36 AM

Tyler Campbell

@bsmntdwllr73 - I forgot about the second Cheapies location! There was also a Sam's on James North, if I recall correctly. Those were the days!

October 20, 2018 @ 12:35 PM

Fakeologist

Great episode even though you like the band more than I did. Check my site if you want my thoughts on celebrity cancer.

What percentage sales increase did they see after his reported demise? Couple hundred percent I'm sure.

October 20, 2018 @ 12:50 PM

Tyler Campbell

Reported demise? Ok then...

October 20, 2018 @ 1:10 PM

@Fakeologist

Let me guess... you believe Gord's still alive and faked his death so the band cold sell more tickets / albums.

Dude, you need help.

October 20, 2018 @ 1:22 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Tyler Campbell
I didn't know that there used to be a second Cheapies location in Hamilton!! I was referring to the
two locations that briefly co-existed near Yonge and Dundas in Toronto in the late 1980s.

October 20, 2018 @ 1:31 PM

Anonymous

@bsmntdwllr73 Oh, and I didn't know there were Cheapies in Toronto! They were really in expansion mode for a while. Happy they still exist at the original location.

October 20, 2018 @ 1:38 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Yeah, they had a bunch of locations downtown, and even one above Yonge and Eglinton (midtown).
if memory serves. Bought a lot of key albums/tapes at their stores back in the day, Yonge Street just
hasn't been the same since the demise of Record Store Row (probably a minority opinion to many
these days, but C'est La Vie, I'm used to it by now!).

October 20, 2018 @ 1:41 PM