Rick Hodge Announces Retirement

Right on the heels of Roger Ashby's announcement that his last day at CHUM would be December 5th, Rick Hodge has announced his last broadcast at 105.7 EZ Rock will be this Friday, November 2. That's right, he's retiring from 105.7 EZ ROCK’s morning show following six years with the station and 45 years on the air, and it's happening in two days.

I have a lot of time for Rick Hodge. Following an eternity doing mornings on 104.5 CHUM-FM with Roger Ashby and Marilyn Denis, Rick left CHUM to become a part of 97.3 EZ Rock's Toronto morning team. I once sat in on a show and great controversy ensued.

All's well that ends well, and I ended up working with Rick Hodge, attempting to teach him social media and helping him blog.

Here's an interview I conducted with him in which he reveals the truth about why he left CHUM-FM and here's our deep dive when he visited for episode 116 of Toronto Mike'd.

Rick's a gem. Congrats Rick, and let me know when you're ready to come back and kick out the jams with me.

Rick Hodge and I

jj

Wow. The end of another era. I wonder if maybe his parents are much older, or have passed and things are just changing? I hope he wasn't pushed out :/ still think Chum was whack to do what they did to him. Good luck to him, he deserves a great and relaxing retirement.

October 31, 2018 @ 1:31 PM

@jj

In defense of CHUM, Rick Hodge told me he chose to leave because he got an offer he couldn't refuse to appear on EZ-Rock and CFRB 1010.

October 31, 2018 @ 1:36 PM

wade

Lots of great memories of how I used to enjoy the Sunday night funnies while lying in bed all prepared for work on Monday again. Enjoy!

October 31, 2018 @ 1:38 PM

jj

I found before he left, that they had really cut his on air time down to the bare minimum. But since it was his choice, that does make the world of difference.

October 31, 2018 @ 1:38 PM

@jj

I think he jumped to Standard because they reduced his on-air role and he thought it better to jump than be pushed.

October 31, 2018 @ 3:05 PM

jj

TM - makes sense to me! Better to go on your own terms. This quick retirement makes me wonder if it's the same situation - leave on your own terms.

October 31, 2018 @ 3:19 PM

@jj

That's a pretty good guess on your part.

October 31, 2018 @ 3:48 PM

jj

Toronto Mike - every once in a while!

October 31, 2018 @ 4:27 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Short notice though so kinda makes you wonder if it was really his choice. Either way...good luck Rick. Enjoy retirement.

October 31, 2018 @ 5:10 PM

jj

Jason from Sudbury - true. I think it's sad they would tell him this is the end, and you get x amount of business days - not a lot of time to say goodbye. But maybe he wants it that way, no fanfare.

October 31, 2018 @ 5:28 PM

Rick C in Oakville

At least he can go on his own terms, and say his farewells.
Sunday night funnies were always a ritual for me also.
Maybe Funny 820 needs a Sunday night funnies show?

October 31, 2018 @ 7:59 PM

Maybe Rick ends up at Zoomer with Ashby!

October 31, 2018 @ 8:17 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Who is that quite dashing, wet behind-the-ears keener, standing side by side with that highly-esteemed radio veteran?!?! I belatedly predict that that kid has a very bright future ahead of him!!
Some might say that he really should have invested in a good pair o'shades!!

November 1, 2018 @ 9:50 AM

Mary

Good luck Rick. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours. You will love retirement.
Mary

November 1, 2018 @ 11:01 PM

I listened to the final half hour of Rick's final EZ-Rock show.

The final song they played for him was Kid Rock's All Summer Long.

They played him off with Frank Sinatra's My Way.

Here's hoping Rick and Roger Ashby end up doing something together soon.

November 3, 2018 @ 1:37 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
They would be a great tandem catch for TMDS, if you could somehow find a way to be involved
on the technical back end of any potential projects they might undertake together!!

November 3, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

There's a rumour floating around that they might do something with Zoomer. Either Roger or both...

November 3, 2018 @ 2:25 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Yeah, I saw that mentioned by someone on here the other day, and wondered if that was
based on inside information or purely speculation at this point? A quick glance at Zoomer Fm's
current playlists indicates an ongoing shift towards the slightly updated musical favorites of Boomers, as compared to their previous incarnation(s) as the aural equivalent of a musty fossil museum!!

November 3, 2018 @ 2:30 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I'm of the belief that Roger wants to continue broadcasting, so Zoomer makes a lot of sense. That's his people!

November 3, 2018 @ 2:36 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
And a few minutes ago, there were even playing that great BTO melodic outlier "Blue Collar"!!
Can't imagine the last time ChumFM played that track?!? Maybe the early '80s? Znaimer for the
hypothetical win!!!

November 3, 2018 @ 2:40 PM

In an indirect way, Moses Znaimer is the reason TMLX3 might not happen until June.

November 3, 2018 @ 2:43 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Perchance because Retrontario is extremely busy with that archival M.Z. project he mentioned during
his last appearance?!?

November 3, 2018 @ 2:46 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I love that you're paying attention!

November 3, 2018 @ 2:47 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Well, I have a hell of a lot of time on my hands, so thanks for constantly helping (me) to fill that somewhat!!!

November 3, 2018 @ 2:50 PM

SomeOdderListener

Best wishes, Rick Hodge. I hope whatever you decide to do next will bring you joy. You are that rare breed these days - what they used to call a natural raconteur in the modern age where any idiot who can finger-type or work a camera phone thinks they are worth attention. Your presentation of comics on the Funnies as well as your take on the sports scene were a standout for me when you worked in Toronto and I listened regularly to live radio.

Thanks for the good morning memories and Sunday night comedy.

November 7, 2018 @ 10:59 AM