Raps Season For Ages Underway

The Raptors just played three games in four nights, and I made sure to catch each one. Much like the Leafs, this Raps team could be special.

The Raps are 3-0, despite playing a couple of strong teams in the Celtics and Wizards. They even rested Kawhi Leonard for last night's game in Washington, and still won. So far, so very good!

No DeRo, but no problem yet. BFF Kyle Lowry has been light's out, Fred VanVleet's been great, Serge Ibaka seems to have found a time machine, Pascal Siakam's been great, JV's been great, Danny Green's been great... But let's talk about Kawhi...

Kawhi Leonard in two games has been outstanding, averaging 27.5 points and 11 rebounds. He might already be the best player who ever played for the Toronto Raptors. This is going to be fun.

My son's excited, I'm excited, and you should be excited. Go Raps!

Raps vs. Celtics

McNulty

This will be year 3 of buying the 20 Game Mini-Pack of tickets for the Raptors. I was at the opener and while I miss seeing Derozan, Leonard is something to watch. For anyone that thought he may not try too hard, they are wrong.

I am pretty excited for this team and looking forward to a lot of good games to watch live.

I sound like a homer but I really think this could be the year we see the finals. I won't say the Raptors are destined to win....the GSW are too tough...but it could be a great playoffs (finally).

October 22, 2018 @ 7:53 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Yes Mike, this season as long as Kawhi and Kyle stay healthy is going to be something special. The Raptors have the best all-around player in the east.

Swapping DeMar for Kawhi improves the team on so many levels, and we likely have to wait a good two to three months for him to really get comfortable with his teammates and get his health all the way back. I have a cynical friend who is already on my case that Kawhi stayed in Toronto and did not play in Washington, and feels that the trade is only worthwhile if the Raptors win the title, as he gives the Raptors no chance to resign him as a free agent.

I really don't care! I will gladly take one amazing season. My bar is though to make the finals. Losing a tough 7 game series to the Celtics is not good enough. Kawhi is hear to be the best player in the east and help his to make the finals. Masai knows it, Kawhi knows it, Nurse knows it. In the finals let's see how healthy either Golden State is, and even if healthy, I would not write the Raptors off.

Enjoy the regular season, so not get caught up on wins and losses. This is all about Nurse playing tons of different rotations and literally having a different playbook to use for the playoffs in the big series that we will be playing in. Boston and Toronto will finish 1 and 2, and while it would be nice to have home court advantage in the eastern finals against them, it is not the end all.

October 22, 2018 @ 8:12 AM

jj

I am so excited for this season! I too have loved seeing Kawhi play for us, and it hurts to not see DeMar there but all we can do is work with everyone we have now.

I want to see a game this year if possible!

October 22, 2018 @ 9:25 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I'm very excited. I couldn't watch the game Saturday night as we were playing, but when I checked the score at the end of the night and saw the 'W' I was ecstatic!

October 22, 2018 @ 10:16 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Raptors Republic gives out grades for each game, and it is always my favourite part to review after a game. They tend to be a bit too much on the generous side, but last night Kawhi got an A+ against Minnesota, and they need a new category, the Kawhi category, where you can get A++. Lowry would have also gotten this grade for his early games starting this season. Kawhi had 35 points in 35 minutes and did whatever he wanted to do all night, and his defence has never been seen in a Raptors uniform before. That one play where he dove to the ground without even seeing the ball and was able to steal it was one of the most instinctive plays I have ever seen. Be afraid Boston Celtics, be very afraid!

October 25, 2018 @ 7:19 AM

jj

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee) - do you think Kawhi is showing early signs of being the most talented Raptor ever? Someone asked that on my Twitter feed, and thought I would ask you.

October 25, 2018 @ 9:08 AM

Urooj Islam

@jj

That part was never up for debate, it was just a matter of him buying into what the Raptors were selling (even if it is only for one year) and staying relatively healthy, which he has so far into the young season.

He has made made multiple All-NBA first teams, All-NBA defensive first teams, won Finals MVP, won multiple defensive player of the year, etc. The people who were initially upset about the trade clearly had never heard of him or didn't realize how good he is which is understandable because if you're just a casual Raptors fan like most people, you're not really paying attention to the Spurs over the last 6 or 7 years.

October 25, 2018 @ 2:52 PM

jj

Urooj Islam - I was not happy we traded DeMar. I was super upset. But, I warmed to Kawhi, and once I saw him in the pre-season, I knew we had done something amazing. I hope he stays for a few seasons, we could make something magical!!!!!

October 25, 2018 @ 4:12 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Interesting question JJ, as Carter was the most talented Raptor ever, in fact, it is not even close. Kawai though, is easily the best Raptor ever, in the sense that he plays a complete 2-way game and due to his style of play and creating so much space for his teammates, makes them all better. Kawai is also a gym rat, like the guy he replaced.

October 25, 2018 @ 4:37 PM