Puck Drops Tonight

Tonight, I'm watching the Leafs game. The regular season has finally arrived and I'm pumped.

No Nylander yet, but otherwise it's looking sweet. The Leafs landed their biggest free agent fish ever and on paper, we're finally a top tier team. Yes, the D line is a little thin, but the depth up front has this lifelong Leafs fan optimistic.

Optimistic, but realistic. We (fuck the first person to call me out for writing "we") haven't won a playoff series since 2004 when Ed Belfour was between the pipes, so I'm not in the "Cup or bust" camp, but we definitely have a shot. Personally, I'd be delighted to play in the Conference finals this season. This window has just opened!

I have a sixteen year old son who follows this team closer than I ever could, and I'm just looking forward to a promising season with him at my side. He was two the last time we escaped the first round and he's all in. I hope we win it for him.

Now let's drop the puck already. Leafs and Habs is on Sportsnet tonight at 7pm.

Our Most Important Ornament

James Edgar

Looking forward to this season more than any i can remember. The Cup is actually a possibility. A VERY.VERY slim possibility but still in the realm of possibility. It is MLSE so there's a good chance they fuck it up and as you say the D is suspect but it should be interesting at least.
Go Leafers!

October 3, 2018 @ 8:31 AM

Ryan G

Imagine the audible crushing of Leaf Nation souls when the news breaks this morning about Tavares' injury in practice yesterday....

October 3, 2018 @ 9:20 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Resident Devil's Advocate/Shit Disturber here! No" WE" unless you are actually one of the
players on the ice!! Sure, I should probably stop typing this comment before I seemingly
start some kind of inadvertent online Flame War, but this is a concept that I have always had
great difficulty understanding, and it is absolutely an Aspie thing!! Having never really
play or followed any sports on an appreciative level, I guess I just missed the boat on
that whole brother/sisterhood and/or camaraderie aspects of sports fandom. Although
I did buy hockey cards as a youngster in order to entice my fellow classmates to help
me tie my shoes at recess!! I was a clumsy and uncoordinated youngling (still am nearly
40 years later!!!). Thank heavens for Velcro. So I guess there's nothing more for me to
do now then to quickly go and get metaphorically F'ed thanks to the above comment!! sorry (sort of!).

October 3, 2018 @ 9:30 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

The team represents the city I live in, so it's "we".

šŸ˜

October 3, 2018 @ 11:30 AM

Anonymous

That's a lot of words to say not much of anything. This isn't your hourly journal.

Quote: "Less is more. (Ludwig Mies van der Rohe)".

Exercising some discretion makes ones insights more effective.

October 3, 2018 @ 11:34 AM

@Anonymous

"This isn't your hourly journal".

No? Then what would you say this is?

October 3, 2018 @ 11:44 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Pretty sure that comment from yet another cleverly-titled anonymous poster was aimed
in my particular direction.

October 3, 2018 @ 11:51 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Ohhhhhh.... haha, I read it as a comment about the original entry.

I was puzzled... because I thought this blog was my hourly journal!

Or as I just tweeted, Twitter is my hourly journal. This blog is my daily journal.

October 3, 2018 @ 11:57 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Glad you figured it out!! Clever distinction between Twitter and the blog, btw!!
Sure wish I shared your positive outlook and good humour about such matters.

October 3, 2018 @ 12:03 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

As the kids say these days, you be you.

Don't change a thing because of a comment from "anonymous". After all, if they believed in the legitimacy of their message, they'd sign their name (or at least their handle) to it.

October 3, 2018 @ 12:04 PM

GUNTer

Goooo team. EXCITED. but Iā€™m excited every year.

October 3, 2018 @ 12:11 PM

Rob J

'We'? You're suiting up tonight? The Shanaplan certainly has veered off into strange permutations!

October 3, 2018 @ 12:42 PM

H.o.E.

Even though house-league hockey was the only organized sport I had played (and not very well) as a kid, I stopped paying attention at some point in the mid-to-late 1980s when the Leafs were hopeless, and more sports and other things started becoming available to see thanks to cable sports channels and then later the internet. Maybe I'll start watching again briefly if and when they are in the the Stanley Cup final and have won three games.

October 3, 2018 @ 1:29 PM

Beatts

Can't wait also! Hockey is back!

October 3, 2018 @ 2:37 PM

@Rob J

Yes, I'm suiting up tonight.

October 3, 2018 @ 3:15 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Thanks for the continued support!! P.S., if I ever tried to use that 'you be you' expression, then that
would certainly put a nail in the proverbial coffin of all that hip lingo du jour!!!

October 3, 2018 @ 4:33 PM

Andrew Sheehy

http://www.bothteamsplayhard.wordpress.com/2018/09/29/2018-19-nhl-forecast/ I have the Maple Leafs finishing 2nd Place in the Atlantic Division in my NHL Forecast for the 2018-19 Season.

October 3, 2018 @ 4:44 PM

jj

I am just waiting for a Raptors post. But Tavares is a biiiiiig score, and hopefully it is a good season. I'll never forget the time my sister got tickets to see the Leafs - they tanked 13-1. I told her I would never babysit for a Leafs game again LOL

October 3, 2018 @ 4:50 PM

@jj

I'm psyched for the Raps, too! It's only a one-year window, but it's still a window!

October 3, 2018 @ 4:52 PM

Rob J

I figure they'll have a similar season to last year's with anywhere from 95-105 points. Getting to play one-quarter of their schedule vs. Ottawa, Montreal, Florida, Buffalo, and Detroit should help pad their win total. (This is not a knock against those 5 fine franchises or their fans...just being objective).

October 3, 2018 @ 5:17 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Like JJ, I too am waiting for the Raptors post, never been as psyched for a season since Vince in his heyday. Though a lukewarm Habs fan, I actually wish the Leafs well, and it is not like they can meet in the playoffs anyways (sigh). Toronto fans are in for some offensive bonanzas this year, the question is can they keep the puck out of their net enough. The defence can be fixed at the trade deadline if required. In Mike's playoff hockey pool I can see the Leafs gone by the 3rd round and most of the roster going in later rounds due to the homer factor.

October 3, 2018 @ 6:42 PM

andrew

If the Leafs play like they did in the 1st period tonight against the mighty HABS - LOL, they won't even make the playoffs.

October 3, 2018 @ 8:09 PM

dale

A $hiT show the 1st game tonight. 2nd game against the Sens. even worse than the Habs.

Didn't play as a team tonight & thankfully Freddie, Matthews & Olago (new defenseman) were their best players. Babs must be livid.

October 3, 2018 @ 10:49 PM

We didn't deserve the W, but we'll take it.

October 3, 2018 @ 10:50 PM

James Edgar

It's the first game. The cup won't be won or lost this month.

October 4, 2018 @ 8:37 AM

LieveFamke

You'd think the Leafs won the Stanley Cup with the pic on the front page of the G&M! I didn't watch, don't really care. But waking up this morning and seeing the pic on the front page, I thought Montreal must have been smoked.. I see the score.. seriously you are cheering for that score? You as the collective Leafs fan (not you on the Toronto Mike blog).

October 4, 2018 @ 8:49 AM

@LieveFamke

You know what these hype trains are like! This will be unprecedented hyper focus on the Leafs... I just feel bad for Canadian hockey fans who don't root for the Leafs. This will be nauseating for them.

October 4, 2018 @ 9:00 AM

jj

Brian - I am soo stoked, seeing Kawhi on the floor for the first pre season game was amazing.

TM - I agree, a good one year window we have to enjoy and cherish.

LieveFamke - you took the words right out of my mouth... a 2-1 win in OT? smh. :p

October 4, 2018 @ 9:36 AM