Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first. Goody. How about those Coyotes. They were awesome. Now they will be good from now on and win the west while my Habs win the east. They will both be in the finals. My Cardinals didn't do well though. That football game really sucked. That's no good. It was a blowout. Well, tonight my Cavs will win and my Nets will win. That will happen. The postal workers better settle this thing. Again I hate unions. They hurt the public. The public has to suffer because these crybaby union workers don't get enough money. Well, strike pay is even less. Be happy you have fricken jobs. I don't believe in collective bargaining. It hurts the public. If you don't like your job, then leave and see how much money you get now. Like I mean come on. I get stuff from the CNIB and it comes in the mail. My birthday is coming up on December 12 and I get birthday money from someone who does not have email and cannot just send it. I need the postal service, so people be glad you have jobs and you can't be so greedy.

October 19, 2018 @ 7:52 AM

Not much of a mayoral race.. I suspect Tory wins by a 2:1 ratio. I'm voting for Keesmaat, but I realize her chances at this point are slim to none and I'm pretty sure I just saw slim jumping on a Go Train at Mimico Station.

The interesting races are for council. In my ward many of us are hoping Amber Morley can take down the corrupt incumbent.

October 19, 2018 @ 8:11 AM

And this is the first morning in some time that Chris Brown didn't knock at the door with a smile and a couple of coffees. I miss him. If you need some painting done, talk to Chris. Super nice, easy to work with and he does a great job.

Hebsy arrives in 45 minutes so I won't be lonely for long.

October 19, 2018 @ 8:14 AM

mdoucette77

not really anything post worthy, more like a rant or whine. I'm just finishing up my marathon training for the Hamilton marathon at the start of November, but I have to run Sunday morning in the first minus temps of the season. Running at 6:30AM with 30+km/h winds and minus temps is going to suck. Especially alone. At least I have a bunch of Toronto Mike episodes to listen to (I usually run with music, but I have to get caught up) and the new Serial season (episode 1 was AWESOME!). Mike, your longer deep dives are what I need for 3+ hours of running in crappy weather

October 19, 2018 @ 8:23 AM

Rick

Tough call in my neighbourhood - which we seem to be in the same riding. Justin is gone and I wish Grimes was too. Problem is that there are too many people (Amber, Grough, Davies) to try to take down the incumbent, If there was one viable opponent then I think there'd be a chance. Too much vote splitting now.

And Tory takes it easily. Keesmaat had too many extreme ideas. Some good ones, but some were a bit too off. Still wish Pinball Clemons would run for mayor one day.

The other ridings will be interesting. Hoping Mihevc wins his spot. Be good to see Giorgio go down. Would be happy to see Lekan Olawoye take it in York South.

October 19, 2018 @ 8:52 AM

Beatts

Good luck with your marathon in November mdoucette77 !!

October 19, 2018 @ 9:08 AM

H.o.E.

Regarding Monday's municipal election, if you want to find something positive in the revenge-minded premier's enforced reduction to 25 wards, squirrel-brained Giorgio (formerly George) Mammoliti, who eagerly supported the reduction, appears very likely to be losing his job.
cp24 link
Four years ago I was in the ward that had Gord Perks as city councillor, but a few months ago I found out the new boundaries for 47 (instead of 44) wards then put me into Sarah Doucette's ward. But with the late change to 25 wards, Sarah Doucette suddenly decided not to run against Perks in the new larger and in effect combined ward.

October 19, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

mrmojorisinca

question..all for the legalization but if in Ontario we can smoke where ever you can smoke cigarets does that mean you can smoke at work if there was no policy by said company for not smoking? I would think the rules for this would follow the rules for Alcohol.

October 19, 2018 @ 10:14 AM

mrmojorisinca

October 19, 2018 @ 10:14 AM

James Edgar

Having just moved to Vaughn I have no horse in the Toronto race. And having just moved to Vaughn i have no idea what the issues are or who the candidates are. For the first time in a very long time i'm probably sitting this one out.

Speaking of moving to Vaughn my landlord/friend where i live now has two dogs, a 11 year old aussie sheppard male Bradley Cooper and a 4 year old collie female Kenzie. She also until yesterday had a 2 year old male collie foster dog Murphy . I LOVE dogs and would have at least one myself if i was more settled and didn't previously have a cat that was not going to get along with a dog(since deceased :( ) i loved the 2 year old and he was a ton of fun BUT he and the aussie really didn't mix. He wanted to have fun all the time and the aussie is all business! And of course he's the alpha so they kept getting into barking matches that occasionally got a little more serious. So yesterday he left for what we hope is his forever home with a lady that runs a dog agility school ,lives in the country and has 29 acres of fenced in Dog paradise.
At this point i'm kind of wishing i was a 2 year old collie .
Last night was very quiet.

When ( or IF I guess holy crap they can be a ton of work!!) i do finally get a dog of my own i'm pretty sure it will either be a wild and crazy collie or the most mellow dog i can find.

October 19, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

susan

SOOO, I did it. Put a For Sale sign on my lawn. 'Toronto , as much as I've loved you, you've changed in ways that don't work for me anymore': the mind numbing traffic , volume of people, escalating violence. We don't have the same quality of life together that we used to so I'm off to a smaller community. I'll visit you occasionally but I don't enjoy our time together like I used to. This is a bittersweet breakup but when your gut tells you it's time then it's time.

October 19, 2018 @ 10:43 AM

Boomer

@TorontoMike, Any progress on getting Kim Mitchell on the podcast? I've been a huge fan since Max and have seen him over 50 times. He would be a good hang and a great guest.

On another note, I am so tired of hearing about weed.

October 19, 2018 @ 1:50 PM

@Boomer

I've never heard from Kim. I agree he's make a great guest, though.

October 19, 2018 @ 3:07 PM

@susan

What neighbourhood are you leaving?

October 19, 2018 @ 3:09 PM

@mmojoisinca

I'm certain there's a by-law against smoking in the workplace. An enclosed workplace, at least.

October 19, 2018 @ 3:09 PM

Fix your blurb

re: Toronto Mike: "@Boomer - I've never heard from Kim. I agree he's make a great guest, though."

@Toronto Mike

Fix your 'Contact Mike' blurb:

Before embarking on projects large or small, talk to Mike. He's eager to meet for coffee or beer or go for a soda and happy to share what's he's learned.

October 19, 2018 @ 3:13 PM

@Fix your blurb

Might as well...

October 19, 2018 @ 3:59 PM

Urooj Islam

I'm already looking forward to the elvis Festivus episode.

October 19, 2018 @ 6:45 PM

@Urooj Islam

It depresses me hearing how few episodes he's listened to.

October 19, 2018 @ 6:58 PM

mdoucette77

@Toronto Mike well, you can always air your grievances about Elvis not listening, and then challenge him to a feat of strength, and if you win, he has to dedicate the next year to listening to your podcast! I mean, it's the appropriate day for you to do that during that episode!

October 19, 2018 @ 7:41 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Money sure has a way of silencing or making of apologists for heads of state in this the current messed up world we are living in.
The Saudi's out right execution (and denial) of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi in their Embassy of all places, Trump worried about loss of military contracts, and going along with their story of Rogue elements is just sickening.

@Susan, I live in the GTA, and I am also sick of the loss time commuting and congestion/traffic, 2 hours to cross the city in rush hour. There almost isn't a day a major highway is closed due to accidents, and driving about 60K KMs a year accident free for 30+ years I just don't understand how this all happens. Some drivers are absolutely clueless.

October 19, 2018 @ 7:42 PM

Twins from Bolton

We moved out of Toronto in 1999 due to crime near to our area. Lived in a great hood with neighbors who all got along. My kids were 8 at the time. Decided to sell & move elsewhere. Where? We didn't know. As I worked by the Airport our realtor suggested north of Tor, with access to work.
Bolton was our choice & haven't regreetted it since.
If I would have sold our house in T.O. 6 weeks later is when the real estate boom set in & could have made 25-35% more on our sale.
@ Susan good luck.

October 19, 2018 @ 9:14 PM

Cheryl

My Cavs lost again. That sucks. They lost again, but my Nets won. Well, my Coyotes play the Jets and my Habs play the Senators. Go Habs and Coyotes. My Nets also play again tonight so let's win this game. I already voted a long time ago so don't need to vote on Monday. I had my home visit. I hope they have home visits for every election and not just this one. Postal workers will probably go out. It will suck. It will probably hit Toronto and nothing will be done about it, so I'm not going to get my birthday money or anything from the CNIB. It will flat out suck. The crybaby union workers don't think about the public. Well, be lucky you have jobs. If you don't like your job, then leave. They shouldn't take it out on the public. Watch them stay out for months and months because that's what they'll do.

October 20, 2018 @ 7:13 AM

susan

@torontomike

I live in the Avenue/Lawrence area. Yes, a lovely part of town but to cash out of real estate in this neighbourhood, + move to a smaller community allows me to pay cash for a home and put lots of cashola in the bank--I can travel, travel, travel!! And goodbye traffic jams!!!!!!!!!!! I can't take it anymore. ( and it's only going to get worse folks)

October 20, 2018 @ 7:45 AM

@susan

Oh yes, you'll do quite well with the cash out. We'll miss you!

p.s. At this point in my life, a long commute would kill me. I just read in the Star that my buddy Troy spends 3 hours a day in his car going from The Danforth to my neck of the woods and back. I'm so glad 90% of my current travel in the GTA is on my bike.

October 20, 2018 @ 8:44 AM

Rick C in Oakville

@Susan, your plan sounds similar to mine in a few years.
@TM, funny thing of talk of congestion in TO, and front page today of the Star is your GLB pal Troy giving his take on this subject!

October 20, 2018 @ 8:45 AM

@Rick C in Oakville

I saw that! He's got lots of podcast listening time on that commute.

@ALL

I watched the entire Raptors game last night. I'm very impressed. I'll write more soon!

October 20, 2018 @ 9:02 AM

I'm curious if anyone here has purchased legal weed this week and how the prices compare to what you were paying before.

October 20, 2018 @ 9:29 AM

T

So ex PM Mulroney is on the board of directors for some pot company. Rich!! Fantino, Ernie Eves, O'Leary etc. all involved in the business. Seems obvious the real reason this shit was legalized. Just the same old Politicians being Politicians.

They can legalize this but cant legalize single bet gambling? If we are going to degrade society to the lowest form, then why hold back on sports gambling.

October 20, 2018 @ 12:37 PM

bsmntdwllr73

And what about complete public nudity, but only for the most attractive people?!? Universally-
agreed upon beauty standards only, I'm afraid. Sadly, yet another beautiful thing that I wouldn't
be allowed to be part of. #Self-BodyShame!!!!

October 20, 2018 @ 1:35 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

You actually think someone from your reader base purchased legal cannabis? Ha!

@bsmntdwllr73

It's the only reason that poor drunk was charged for his antics at Ripley's Aquarium. If he was conventionally attractive, he wouldn't have been charged! LOL! #EndBodyShaming

October 20, 2018 @ 4:18 PM

@Urooj Islam

Remember, there are many more readers than there are commenters.

October 20, 2018 @ 7:42 PM

Sid_V from NY via London

I look at all the craziness going on in the US, and give thanks that I live here in Canada.

The fact the government is willing and eager to send me marijuana in the mail, and take a credit card to pay for it, takes it to a whole other level.

I ordered something on Wednesday morning - I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation though. The price seems pretty much in line with the black or grey market, from what I can tell, although I have not actually paid for weed (or smoked it, other than at a party or two) for about 25 years. I do have friends who enjoy a spiiff once in a while, and they don't seem put out at all by the price. They are griping a bit that the potency seems a bit less than what they are used to - probably not a bad thing for someone driven by curiosity as much as anything.

October 20, 2018 @ 8:30 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Habs and Coyotes lost. My Habs should have won, but they blew it, really blew it. They were winning 3 to 1. Carey Price was playing. Damn Senators had to win this game. Well, they'll beat the Flames on Tuesday. My Coyotes only led for a bit, but lost the game. My Nets and Suns also lost. Well, I have football today. I need wins by my Browns and Ravens. My Cavs need a win tonight. Do it. Well, postal workers will go out because they're crybabies. They just want to all be lazy. Come on, who gets raises these days. Well, I won't get my birthday money. I know that. She doesn't have internet so she has to mail it. It sucks. They'll be out for a long long time. Don't they know we need them?

October 21, 2018 @ 7:43 AM

H.o.E.

You can watch the marathon happening now on Livestream.com.

October 21, 2018 @ 9:17 AM

Urooj Islam

The elvis Festivus episode and Cheryl's birthday are the only two notable dates in the entire month of December.

It's not like anything else happens.

October 21, 2018 @ 12:06 PM

jj

i would purchase legally if i even knew what it all meant. i think real users probably don't like the prices.

i still have a chocolate bar i meant to eat, full of the good stuff... LOL so not a real huge user.

TM - the Raps are looking good so far for the first three games, I am excitement.

October 21, 2018 @ 1:33 PM

@jj

I am also excitement.

October 21, 2018 @ 1:38 PM

@Mike, jj
In general (and not at all referring to the Raptors current winning streak), I am most definitely
the opposite of excitement (as a living and breathing, barely-existing specimen, that is!!!). P.S.,
does anyone know how many days until the inevitable, global nuclear annihilation commences?
Kinda feel like those '80s political hacks Reagan and Gorbachev sold us a complete bill of goods
on that score. DISAPPOINTED!! Although I guess it would totally suck for anyone currently leading
a fulfilling life!!! sorry 'bout dat, sort of.

@Urooj Islam
Kinda feel bad for that Ripley's streaker/ potential shark sadist, and I certainly never would have had the nerve to try a stunt like that, as I would be much too worried 'bout da inevitable shrinkage!!! Plus, I don't think my near non-existent self-esteem/body pride could take that kind of a eternal hit!! And as for the month of December, there's always December 7th, the 77th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. Always a good occasion to get out my rusty Beta copy of Steven Spielberg's Numero Uno cinematic masterpiece "1941" and have myself a soft chuckle or two!!

October 21, 2018 @ 1:54 PM

@Mike
Just belatedly caught yesterday's TMI episode and thoroughly enjoyed it!! Much like cowbell,
there can never too many Toronto Mike'd episodes (understanding that making the proverbial
bread and family life must always come first!!). P.S., not being on Twitter, I was unable to vote
in your recent poll, but the Moe Berg and Jamar McNeil eps were obviously my two favourites of the.
week. I guess the "For Gord" tribute show fits into an All-Time- Greatest category of its own?!?

October 21, 2018 @ 2:30 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Twitter polls cap you at four choices, so I couldn't include the Hip option.

Looks like Scott Moore is the winner.

The best Toronto Mike'd episode of the week was:

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) October 20, 2018
October 21, 2018 @ 3:16 PM

@Mike
Yeah, I saw the results previous to my last post. Not surprised at the Scott Moore episode
taking first place, even if I find it a little bit curious that the great Murray(!!) Berg show didn't rate higher.Guess a lot of the Twitter folks responding to your poll are hardcore 'inside baseball' sports
fans! Sure, I listened as a TM'd die-hard, but the music-based episodes always hold the most personal
resonance for me.

October 21, 2018 @ 3:23 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I think part of the reason Scott Moore won so easily is that it's kind of amazing he dropped by and sat in my basement to answer 80 minutes of questions. So the fact it happened is pretty cool.

The Berg episode was amazing, though... as was the Joe Tilley and Jamar McNeil. Heck, I thought the Gord episode was great.

P.S. I'm biased as all hell.

October 21, 2018 @ 4:46 PM

chris

@Cheryl
How did your teams do today & yesterday. If I was a betting person I would take all the teams you root for & bet the other team. No Super Bowl party, no NHL Stanley cup party & probably no NBA partyas the Cavs & Suns keep losing.
What happened to Cheif Wahoo cake, did you put in the freezer for next year?

October 21, 2018 @ 7:55 PM

dale

Tomorrow is vote day. A democratic right.
Any vote can make a difference. I voted at an advance poll.
For those who don't vote, don't complain in the future 4 years about what is going on in your hood.

Vote with your head, not your heart.

October 21, 2018 @ 9:53 PM

Cheryl

Well, everything sucked yesterday. My Browns and Ravens both lost. My Browns tied it, but lost in overtime. My Ravens missed an extra point after a touchdown, but they blew it. My Cavs lost again. Will my Cavs ever win? There is no Chief Wahoo cake. My baker didn't make it because the party is canceled. Well, I already voted. I had a home visit and voted at home. I don't have to vote today. Well, postal strike is on. It hasn't hit Toronto yet, but it will. It sucks. I won't get my books or my birthday money. It really really sucks and it will hit Toronto maybe tomorrow. It's going to go all through my birthday, it really will. Crybaby postal workers should just suck it up and be happy they have jobs, and if they're really not happy, they should quit and find something else. Be happy you got the money you're getting. Greedy buggers.

October 22, 2018 @ 7:09 AM

Beatts

All in all, a good day for sports yesterday. Looking forward to not receiving junk mail for the next little bit. Very considerate of the postal service I believe.

October 22, 2018 @ 7:23 AM

bsmntdwllr73

The mail strike will hardly make a difference in my life. I don't have regular access to my broken
mail box and the office lady who used to open it for me left for medical reasons. My building's so-called superintendent took nearly a month to find the time to ply it open with Herculean strength,
in order for me to finally retrieve my voting card. In other words, good luck getting the skinflint
owner of my shitshack rooming house to agree to repairing my messed-up washroom! Not entirely
his fault, as he has probably been kept in the dark on it by both myself and the on-his-last-legs
super, not to mention the former, recently departed office lady. So by Christmas I could either possibly be homeless or 'sharing space' with Captain Nemo, the Nautilus and Sponge Bob and the Gang!!!

October 22, 2018 @ 9:26 AM

jj

dale - I am just afraid of what is in people's heads today when they vote :-( But I am going to vote either at lunch or after work!!

October 22, 2018 @ 9:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Just noticed a Twitter conversation between Toronto Mike and Tyler Campbell in which the
latter mentioned a Bette Midler disco song called "My Knight In Black Leather." Was not previously
familiar with this track, but after checking it out on Youtube. I can't believe how empty my life has
been without it in it (a pretty low bar at this point, admittedly!!). Although it wasn't composed by noted Meatloaf Svengali Jim Steinman, it sure as heck sounded like something that he might have concocted (presumably whilst high on 'ludes!!). But no, the author of this masterpiece was one Jerry Ragavoy, best known for writing the oft-covered "Time Is On My Side (Rolling Stones and others). Sorry, but I I much prefer this smokin' hot track to the tepid likes of "The Rose", "The Wind Beneath My Wings" and "From A Distance." HEAR-SAY (sic)!?! Well, it won't be the first time I'm accused of being a musical heretic!!

October 22, 2018 @ 10:07 AM

Urooj Islam

Just sent out a birthday card and some money, hopefully it reaches its destination by December 12th.

October 22, 2018 @ 1:59 PM

Cheryl

My Suns lost. That's no good. Anyway, Habs play tonight and Coyotes play tonight. I need them both to win. Look, I hate junk mail, but I won't get other mail as well. It's awful and it hit Toronto. My birthday is on December 12, Guys. Why do these jerks have to go on strike? It's awful. It really is. I won't get my birthday money or my books. They picked a bad time to go out, so close to my birthday.

October 23, 2018 @ 7:06 AM

bsmntdwllr73

You know who also picked a bad time to do something, and in her particular case it was leaving, 'twas
Lucille!!! (and sigh, our man Kenny has simply never been the same after that fateful day.)

October 23, 2018 @ 9:18 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Here's a nice trio of book recommendations from my current library pile:

"The Many Deaths of Tom Thomson" by recent Toronto Mike'd guest Dr. Gregory Klages.
A compelling and fascinating read, and a nice prose companion piece to the stories discussed on episode number 364.

"27: the legend and mythology of the 27 club" by Gene Simmons. In the past the Demon
from KISS hasn't exactly been effusive in his praise for the likes of Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain,
Jimi Hendrix, and Amy Winehouse, but apparently he has had a major change of heart, allegedly
due to mood disorder impacting one of his adult children. Despite his often wanton antics and a
complete lack of humility, this is a thoughtful and very fair examination of a somewhat morbid
topic.

And lastly, my favourite of the three, although it came out a couple of years ago, "Old
Records Never Die: one man's quest for his vinyl and his past" by Eric Spitznagel.
In this book, a middle-aged professional writer attempts to track down a handful of
the original albums he sold decades earlier as part of a mid-life crisis. Very fascinating,
especially for someone like myself who has never been a vinyl fanatic, but can completely
understand the emotional connections described within.

October 23, 2018 @ 9:58 AM

Urooj Islam

What a crazy year for Patrick Brown, I kind of feel good for him after he put years into building up the Ontario provincial PC party only for Doug Ford to ride at the last second and get all the glory.

October 23, 2018 @ 12:28 PM

@Urooj Islam
Doug Ford must be real pissed about Paddy's(!) phoenix-like rise from the political ash pile
in such a short period of time. especially after the former's now seemingly-pointless back
room moves to rid himself of a rival. Can't wait for the inevitable fireworks and muck-raking
to commence. Perhaps they can settle their differences in the boxing ring?!? The winner can
go on and fight the true People's Champion (and noted political pugilist) Jusitn Trudeau!!!

October 23, 2018 @ 12:41 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Interesting. Just read online that TJ Connors is heading back to Winnipeg to be part of a new morning show on citi fm. I wonder who'll take over for him on HTZ.

October 23, 2018 @ 3:48 PM

DOFO

Here are all the ways Doug Ford’s government has screwed up legal cannabis.

October 23, 2018 @ 4:14 PM

H.o.E.

I'm patiently waiting for our dignified premier to finally reveal to all us 'folks' his still-super-secret big plan for Ontario Place, particularly whether or not it involves a casino over the objections of the mayor, city council, and probably all the other nearby Ontario towns that already have (or will have, in the case of Durham Live) casinos that would presumably lose business.
---------------
@bsmntdwllr73 -- After not attending his Bandshell appearance you saw in August, I got a somewhat discounted resale ticket (it was not sold out) for Dennis DeYoung in Brampton, having ignored him and his former band since seeing them once, in about 1981 I think.
Now, any thought of 'Come Sail Away' makes me think of the Eric Cartman/South Park version.
I had been unaware that he had hired a James Young and a Tommy Shaw (from a Styx tribute act) look-and-sound-alike for his band. It kind of starts to blur whatever distinctions may still be made between the remnants of the former real thing and tribute acts. The circumstances also made me think of the 'Bogus' Deep Purple that briefly existed in 1980, when the original DP (though not the most popular version of the band) singer was duped into being the sole share-holder of a venture to tour using the name with a bunch of unknown slightly look-alike musicians, though a little different situation in that they were actually using the band's name without proper legal authorization, along with playing material created after he had left the band with phrases such as "from our Machine Head album".

October 23, 2018 @ 4:20 PM

Jim

Boy those jerkoffs at the Post Office are really starting to P me off with those rotating strikes.
My car insurance is due next July 2019. How will I ever get my bill ? How will I send them a cheque on time ? Why does it only happen to me and only me ?

October 23, 2018 @ 6:33 PM

dale

25 years ago today I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed surgically as 2 were impacted & spent 2 - 3 hrs. in surgery. My wife drove me home & slept most rest of the day.
I knew the Jays were playing in WSeries but couldn't stay up to watch. Wifey did & never forget her scream when TOUCH EM ALL JOE hit the home run. Watched the game the next day as she taped it (VHS).

October 23, 2018 @ 10:39 PM

Cheryl

Another person who is fed up with the Post Office? Apparently you are supposed to find out how much your bill is by calling your insurance company to find out. Anyway, the Post Office is stupid. This strike is stupid and what is Justin Trudeau doing about it? Absolutely nothing. Well, he should be legislating them back to work. As I said, they should be happy they have jobs. Now December 12 is going to come and no birthday money because the jerks at the Post Office are so stupid and Justin Trudeau doesn't care about us, so he will just sit there and do nothing. Well, let's talk about some good stuff. How about those Habs. Great win. Of course, Carey Price is a great goalie and my Habs won. My Coyotes won as well. That's wonderful. Habs and Coyotes will be in the finals. Stanley Cup party. Now my Cavs play my Nets tonight. I need my Cavs to win their first game. They have to. Come on Cavs. You need to win.

October 24, 2018 @ 7:13 AM

Beatts

If Jim and Cheryl get married, we definitely have to get Mike to live podcast it.

October 24, 2018 @ 9:24 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Pretty sure that the phrase "Touch 'em All Joe!" should now definitely carry the following
blatant disclaimer: (...But only with the explicit oral and written permission of all parties
involved!!!") After all, we are living in a very different, more dangerous world than the one in which the legendary Tom Cheek uttered that immortal line back in '93. I belatedly type this a day after seeing
a blurb in the free daily birdcage liner (StarMetro) pertaining to a breathless Rosie DiManno outburst
in the mothership paper. Now there's an erudite and handsome woman!!

October 24, 2018 @ 9:35 AM

@H.o.E.
I much prefer fake Tommy Shaw to the genuine article at this point in time!! Also, ya gotta love
how the latest piece of music currently played by Dennis DeYoung in concert is my very
much beloved "Desert Moon" from '84, a much bigger hit in Canada than anywhere else in
the world, apparently!! (TASTEMAKERS!!). Plus, he's definitely not only a proud member of the
Musical Dinosaur Museum, but quite possibly a founding father as well!!! As for that fake Deep
Purple scam from 1980 (aside from the original lead throat and one-time Captain Beyond
member), it kinda reminds me of that band of Frankie Goes To Hollywood impersonators
from the late 1990s (lead by an American!!!). Spin Magazine, amongst other once-great major music
publications, breathlessly wrote about this non-starter (of a story) with great relish at the time, I do recall.

October 24, 2018 @ 9:46 AM

@Beatts
It would be the best 'live' wedding broadcast since the dearly departed Tiny Tim
married his immortal beloved Miss Vicki (no kidding aside, I'd gladly pledge my
eternal betrothal to a life-sized bag of Miss Vickie's Potato Chips!!!) on the Tonight
Show in 1969!! P.S., I sure do hope that I can be a unisex flower person at that
blessed hypothetical event. Already got my Bolo tie all picked out. Gonna look just
like the dashing Bruce Sprigfield(!!) on his "Tunnel Of Love" front cover photo!!!

October 24, 2018 @ 9:53 AM

LieveFamke

@Beatts
And a Chief Wahoo wedding cake?!? Music by The Royal Pains?

October 24, 2018 @ 10:02 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Please note: The last time a wise voice informed the unsuspecting public that "THEY don't
care about us", it came from the blessed mouth of one Michael Joseph Jackson, on his
classic "HIStory" album way back in 1995. Ya know, that track with those very inflammatory,
Anti-Semetic lyrics in the original version!! Pretty sure that MJ made the tres de rigueur
response of going on about his Jewish accountant, lawyer and team of plastic surgeons(!!!)
(before he was hastily forced to do an emergency re-recording).

October 24, 2018 @ 10:03 AM

Urooj Islam

@Beatts @LieveFamke

Only wedding where the bride and groom get a GLB 6-pack and get married by Brian Gerstein.

October 24, 2018 @ 12:51 PM

LieveFamke

@Beatts @Urooj
We'd make great wedding planners!

October 24, 2018 @ 7:40 PM

Cheryl

I am not getting married. I don't even know Jim so why would I want to marry him? My Cavs lost again. Will they ever win ever? I mean another loss again. My Suns lost as well. That's no good. Well, my Habs will win tonight. They're in Barfalo tonight. Also my Coyotes will also win tonight. I also really really need my Cavs to win. Anyway, I'm so sick of this postal strike. It really sucks. Legislate them back to work and do it now. I want my CNIB books and my birthday money. Why do they have to hurt the public? Unions are stupid. I hate unions.

October 25, 2018 @ 7:37 AM

Beatts

No wonder you don't want to get married Cheryl.... you hate Unions :)

You may be onto something. I've been married 21 years and I don't get birthday money anymore either.

October 25, 2018 @ 7:51 AM

Anonymous

Well ,it's official. Roger Ashby is retiring from Chum.

October 25, 2018 @ 8:19 AM

Urooj Islam

@Beatts

You don't get birthday money anymore because of the postal workers strike. Duh.

I'm sure they've got 21 years of birthday money that was about to go out just before the strike.

Damn unions. Why I oughta...

October 25, 2018 @ 2:43 PM

Urooj Islam

Holy shit, guys, 8 podcasts in the last 14 days.

Toronto Mike is a podcasting monster.

October 25, 2018 @ 2:56 PM

@Urooj Islam

A definite byproduct of launching TMDS.

October 25, 2018 @ 3:47 PM

andrew

@Mike
Great scoop to get Tom Wilson on your podcast as he has a lot of time on his hands being suspended for 20 games by NHL. Hopefully he changes his dirty play to the player he can be.
I don't know how you got him. He must be the first player for any league on your podcast.
LOL

October 25, 2018 @ 10:12 PM

@andrew

Wrong Tom Wilson.

October 25, 2018 @ 10:19 PM

Urooj Islam

I wouldn't want that lunatic anywhere around our beloved Toronto Mike, one of the dirtiest players in professional sports at the moment.

He would bang Toronto Mike's head into his own microphone or something.

October 25, 2018 @ 10:58 PM

Beatts

Agree. I'll take Tom Wilson the singer songwriter any day over that other dirty turd.

October 26, 2018 @ 7:54 AM