Ruby and Alex Carr Will Be New Morning Show on 102.1 the Edge

I honestly didn't see this coming. Corus has announced the new morning show on 102.1 will be Ruby and Alex Carr, a brother-sister duo currently on the air in Vancouver. Their Toronto show will launch in January 2019.

I sure got some bad intelligence on this one. At one point there were rumblings Dean Blundell was coming back to CFNY, but I quickly determined that was a lie. Then, as recently as yesterday, I heard a non-compete had to expire before the announcement. I was sure that had to be Adam Wylde.

It's interesting that the new Edge morning show is from Vancouver, because they just started a new afternoon drive show that comes from Vancouver. You can read more about busy Meredith Geddes here. 102.1 is just loving Corus's Vancouver talent these days.

Although the press release didn't specifically say Ruby and Alex Carr were relocating to Toronto, I have to assume that's the case. [Confirmed: they will do this show live from Toronto.] I've also heard rumblings that Meredith's Toronto afternoon drive show from Vancouver is only temporary, but I'm on a bit of a losing streak with regards to Edge rumblings, so take that with a grain of salt.

ruby

Rob J

Can you please predict that the Dallas Stars *won't* win the Cup in 2019? Thanks in advance.

September 19, 2018 @ 2:48 PM

Chuck 99

If The Edge still had the same market share as it did in the Dean Blundell era, I believe all of us would have been more patient and there would have been less speculation with regards to future programming decisions. The brother and sister act should make for an interesting dynamic on the morning show.

September 19, 2018 @ 4:26 PM

Shira

The decision to bring in the new current programs manager with Corus has been a bust! She came in, all the Corus Brass we’re fired then after things settle down she fires all the good announcers. The ppl left make squat and have no talent. I’m surprised she hasn’t turned Q into Country and Edge into hip hop...but give her time!

September 19, 2018 @ 5:15 PM

@Rob J

I predict the Stars won't win the Cup in 2019.

September 19, 2018 @ 6:08 PM

Chuck 99

@Shira

A future format change at either station is certainly a possibility if the program director can not stop the slide in ratings.

September 20, 2018 @ 1:02 AM

Lakefield Mike

More 'imported' talent at 25 Dockside. Hey, I kinda miss the Sunday's Spirit of Radio Redux show.

September 20, 2018 @ 8:54 AM

Douglas

Ruby and Alex should love Toronto. They'll be able to afford a place to live here! Drive their cars, too, if they (still) have them.

September 20, 2018 @ 1:12 PM

Max power

Whats the over/under on how many months till they get bounced...

September 20, 2018 @ 8:13 PM

Dan Forth

Easter may be a stretch

September 20, 2018 @ 8:16 PM

Not an asshole

You cynical assholes should actually listen to the show before you start predicting its demise.

One minute you’re whining about Toronto just recycling the same people over and over, or predicting a litany of returning talent (“bring back Dean!, I bet it’s Adam, how about Humble and Fred?” and then when a station actually go and tries something new you start a doomdays clock?

I for one don’t have a crystal ball and wish them all the luck. Especially if their listeners just turn out to be pricks like you.

September 20, 2018 @ 11:26 PM

Cheese

@Max Power

I got it off a hairdryer

September 21, 2018 @ 9:23 AM

Andrew

The last time The Edge did a massive format change I was working there and it didn't go so well....

I hope they let what good morning shows do... talk, engage, give away lots of free shit, and play some music. Give me the weather, traffic and local stories that will engage their listeners. I wish these guys the best. I hope they can switch quickly from left to right(ish) coast - Canucks hockey talk won't go over well :)

I have said this so, so many times in the past - people listen to radio because of the people on the air. Yes, genre and format helps, but making a connection with someone is way more powerful which will keep them coming back.

The only radio stations outside of 680News for traffic and weather I listen to now are 97.7 HITZ and 610 CKTB for local content.

I hope Corus gives them the promotion a new morning show needs and for a sustained period.

This is to any Corus employees who made read this: there's a reason why you brought a brother and sister combo to Toronto - let those reasons shine through on-air. Give them a chance to connect with your city and audience. Doing 1 min bits between songs will not do that!

Cheers,
Andrew

September 21, 2018 @ 12:14 PM

Brian Cook

It shouldn't be that hard to adjust. They are from Toronto. Born and raised. Alex has worked in Calgary at X92.9 and now CFOX. So he has tremendous knowledge of the format. Ruby is one of the best broadcasters I have ever listened to even though she works in a different format I know she will do well. I predict this duo will be on edge for years to come. With them in mornings, Ian Lynch and kid Craig on afternoon drive and Tom doing the evening show I predict a rise up in the ratings. The station has struggled for a few years since Dean was fired. But this should be solid lineup for years to come

September 21, 2018 @ 9:23 PM

Andrew

@Brian Cook,

Awesome... now hopefully Corus and Edge PD stay the fuck outta the way and let them do what they were hired to do :)

September 23, 2018 @ 1:02 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Lakefield Mike, Scot Turner did a great job, miss doing my office paperwork on Sunday afternoons listening to this program.

September 23, 2018 @ 5:41 PM

Puget Sound Radio Loser

They took the gig at Edge because they know there ain't a future at Z95 unless your @airchecker who espouses how awesome it is after his second bottle of cheap whiskey

September 23, 2018 @ 11:03 PM

Scott B

I'm a long time 102.1 listener who gave up on the station months ago when all I was hearing was the same 6 or so songs -new releases- played over and over. I work an evening shift so I would listen between 7pm to the early morning hours. There is no longer a DJ during these hrs- I really miss Bookie- so it just really wasn't a pleasant listening experience any more.
I decided to give the station another chance and have been listening for the past week. It appears the have made a format change. I am now hearing , I would estimate at more than 50%, older tracks from the 90's and early 2000's. Perhaps they are going to become Classic Alternative?

September 24, 2018 @ 4:33 PM

David

I know I'm coming late to this, but nothing can be worse than Edge's current morning show with Kid Craig. 95% of "new Edge music" is terrible, the only reason I still listened to the Edge occasionally up until now was out of loyalty (I and all my friends were loyal Edge listeners from about the 6th grade until the end of high school, back in the early 2000s) and because Fearless Fred and Carly had some funny moments. I sure wasn't tuning in to hear Portugal the Man and Nathaniel Rateliff 20 times a day. The sad truth is that alt rock is dead and no amount of hiring and firing hosts at the Edge is going to fix that.

October 17, 2018 @ 8:11 AM