Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

Well, my Ravens lost last night. That sucked. My Orioles won though, but my Diamondbacks lost. Well, Rogers gave me the runaround. Apparently my building has this contract and if I went with them, my internet plus home phone would only be $45.00. I first said I like Primus. They said things would be okay. I go and book an appointment for next Friday. I want my friend to be here even though at first he said he didn't have to be here. Well, he couldn't be here next Friday. He said if I want to change the appointment, I can. I called. Fricken Rogers puts me on hold for a very long time. That's what they do. Then the lady says there is no work order. She puts me on hold again and someone else tells me no work order and I thought this was a crank call, but I called later on because my friend told me it isn't. It was really Rogers. I called again and changed my appointment to Tuesday when my friend can be here. I would have just said no if money was really tight, but I went with it so I could save money. I don't know what they'll be like. I'm worried about what will happen to my internet on Tuesday afternoon. What if it's no good. Rogers puts people on hold because that's what they do. Primus never puts me on hold. Well, Primus was so good that I hardly ever needed to call them, but if I ever did, I was never on hold. Rogers puts people on hold because that's what they do.

September 14, 2018 @ 7:59 AM

Roger's

Cheryl please hold. Were are currently experiencing higher than normal volume on other blog postings.

September 14, 2018 @ 8:30 AM

Bear

Great weather - enjoy Toronto!

September 14, 2018 @ 10:40 AM

Brian Cook

I know there is a thread about Meredith at 102.1 but I wanted to point out that a lot of stations in Toronto have gone downhill. I think Boom is about the only decent station that still focuses on personality. Even outside the Roz and Mocha show things on Kiss aren't as entertaining as before. 93.5 almost seems like they gave up. Having an out of town afternoon show and a quickly put together morning show is still a better choice then some stations. Hopefully when stingray completes the purchase or newcap (93.5/97.3) that we see some changes from the other companies in improving what they offer

September 14, 2018 @ 3:20 PM

Courtesy of Moosegrumpy

September 14, 2018 @ 4:10 PM

bsmntdwllr73

So a self-described Feminist Take Back The Night Rally is currently underway near the corner
of Queen Street West and Dufferin. The self-styled contrarian/jr. anarchist league member in me is tempted to skip home, pick up my boombox, grab a couple of G N'R CDS, and walk past in a jaunt-like fashion as I blast either "I Used To Love Her" or perhaps, even better, "Back Off Bitch." I probably wouldn'tmake it home alive in one piece if I did that, so I guess I'll have to settle instead for a quiet night of reflection and some calming Yanni or Zamfir to chill me the F. out!! Nothing soothes this not-so savage beast like the haunting sound of the pan flute. Now if I did the same thing but substituted
for "Patience" or "November Rain", hmmm...

September 14, 2018 @ 5:46 PM

Matt

Quiet Open Mike so far. Is everyone still recovering from TMLX2?

September 14, 2018 @ 6:28 PM

Rob J

If recent Open Mikes are quieter because people have stopped posting political opinions in a manner that suggests an original thought rather than what they usually are (tired and predictable talking points filled with half-truths and exaggeration from whatever 'side' they're on), then I say "Continue in the beloved quiet."

September 14, 2018 @ 6:43 PM

Remember, Open Mikes will continue so long as Cheryl posts.

And yes, I'm still recovering from #TMLX2.

September 14, 2018 @ 6:47 PM

elvis

Norm MacDonald and Paul McCartney were on Howard Stern over the past week. I highly recommend listening to both interviews. So great.

September 14, 2018 @ 7:02 PM

annonomass

I would have posted earlier but, I wasted most of my day being on hold with Primus.

September 14, 2018 @ 8:06 PM

Blind Dave

I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in many years, and as a former radio junkie, I am sad to say I don't ever see myself going back. I'm a child of the 60's and 70's, and the radio I remember is just that, a long ago memory. I had the night table radio and I used to love bringing in the US stations late at night. Or cruising up and down the dial to stop somewhere and hear an actual entire ALBUM played.

September 14, 2018 @ 9:13 PM

Urooj Islam

45-year old Eminem releasing diss tracks makes me sad.

September 14, 2018 @ 9:52 PM

dale

@Everyone
Terry Fox Run is this Sunday. Mike is only $100.00 behind $1500.00. I've already donated so those that haven't please do so for this get cause & for Mike to reach his goal.

There are many you out there who haven't yet donated.
Every little bit helps.
Do it for MIKE.

September 14, 2018 @ 11:16 PM

Cheryl

My Indians lost, but Edwin Encarnacion and Josh Donaldson both hit homers. They still lost though. Ugly game. My Orioles lost as well, but my Diamondbacks won. Well, I wouldn't have switched if money wasn't so tight. The building has a contract with Rogers and I was told I will get faster internet. Well, is it going to be reliable? Who knows. I don't know what will happen to my internet on Tuesday. What if I don't like Rogers? I know they put people on hold forever though.

September 15, 2018 @ 7:05 AM

bsmntdwllr73

While it is very nice that so many people have been able to donate generously to Mike's Terry Fox
Run campaign, not all of us are in a position to financially do so or have the required e-commerce
capabilities. I'm sure that previous commenter meant well, but I can't help but take it a little bit
personally, even if I wasn't singled out for not having done so. Though I'm unable to be a financial
contributor to Mike's blog/podcast/run, I am able to be a very devoted listener and an overly-enthusiastic comment poster! Just something for certain folks to consider...

September 15, 2018 @ 9:38 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Heartbroken to finally realize that Designer Fabrics, a longtime Fabricdale (Parkdale) institution
closed its doors for good at the beginning of August after a nearly 65 year run. The reason I
bring this up, and no, I'm not a secret sewer, even though I'm semi-adequately capable of
completing the most basic of clothing repairs, is because of a sign segment proudly featured
on their premises: TRIM DEPARTMENT.

On its own, it is rather innocuous and quite self-explanatory. However, in the mind of a monastic
and yet quite prurient-minded fella, it has other, baser connotations! TRIM is an old school term
used to unfairly objectify women in a very sexual manner and so it is best left long forgotten. 'Cept
I can't do that because I've got a point to make with this: As a die-hard fan of hard rock and metal
in all its various guises, there is a special place in my spandex-clad heart for the hair farmers of yesteryear. Moreover, Trim Department would have made for an excellent hair band name in the
1980s. Very hard to believe that it was never used, but it was probably a little too on the nose, even for the countless great conceptualists of that era! Mostly due to all the "ACTION" such bands tended to gather with only the slightest of effort(s)!!

And lest anyone bothering to read feels that I have gone too far (again!) with this comment, please
keep in mind that women often made up a large component of this genre's fanbase, and were
also willing participants in such shenanigans. P.S., if I had been of age, in possession of even a
modicum of musical talent, and maybe even the slightest amount of sex appeal, my hair band
power trio would have been called BORED, LONELY & HORNY, or BLH for short. Sadly, those
punk-pop poseurs Simple Plan have already used my ideal album title, "Still Not Getting Any."
Somehow I doubt that very much! And who am I kidding, anyway? It would have been nigh on
impossible for me to find two other willing bandmates!!

September 15, 2018 @ 12:13 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Last line in the comment above should have read as "for me to have found two other willing
bandmates." Got my verb tenses mixed up yet again!

September 15, 2018 @ 12:16 PM

mdoucette77

@bsmntdwllr73 you know, I may have some sympathy for you not being able to donate or figure out how to do it digitally, if you hadn't posted earlier how you really wanted to go to a "take back the night" ceremony for the sole purpose of mocking women peacefully protesting against sexual assault and domestic violence. Someone who thinks it's funny to want to mock women that are trying to raise awareness to end violence against women doesn't get any sympathy from me.

September 15, 2018 @ 12:20 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@mdoucette73
My donation comment wasn't meant to invoke sympathy. And my comment from early yesterday
evening regarding that take back the night rally was an obviously failed attempt at the absurd.
Re-read carefully and perhaps you will see the part near the end of it where I remarked that "I
probably would not have made it out of there alive" if I had even thought about attempting such
a stunt. Plus, the idea that someone would skip home to go and get a boombox and some CDS
in this day and age? The whole comment played to my largely self-generated persona as beyond
socially-awkward misfit on the outer fringes. Nobody has a sense of humour anymore, Nowhere
did I type that I was (hypothetically) going to do anything other than walk by blasting some obviously inappropriate (for that occasion) music. However, I would not have been half-surprised
if some of those ladies admitted to being fans of G N'R, so there's that. Sorry I offended you.

September 15, 2018 @ 12:28 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, the above should have obviously been addressed to mdoucette77, but I'm so used to typing
in the "73" part from my own alias.

September 15, 2018 @ 12:36 PM

mdoucette77

oh no, I got it. Don't you worry about that. I understood the satire of it, but also understood the mocking/condescending tone as well. The 'wouldn't have made it home alive' statement/joke was comical, but does not evoke the comedy that perhaps you were attempting to make. It belittles women that do these protests. It mocks women that don't want to be raped and assaulted as 'man haters'.

Many people, myself included, still have a sense of humour. I laugh at a lot of things, both appropriate and inappropriate. I, however, don't find mocking women that are protesting against rape as funny, because whether you meant it as a joke or not, many men truly feel that way, and counter protest against things like take back the night.

It's 2018. Gay jokes, blonde jokes, female suppression jokes, joking about mental disabilities are not publicly acceptable. It may be a niche that some professional comedians still do and that's there prerogative, but I have no problem calling out bullying/oppressive "jokes" when I see them. I'm not telling you to stop. Tell the jokes you want to tell, just be prepared to get called out for them. Just like I've called out people that mock Cheryl. I'm telling them to stop, but I'll call them out for their ridiculous attempt at humour.

September 15, 2018 @ 12:53 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@mdoucette77
Not sure who mad you the judge, jury and executioner of what constitutes humour, even the stuff
that you don't like or agree with. In the case of my most recent controversial comment and others
in the past, I am the one who always come off of as an insensitive dolt/misguided fool. Nowhere did I write that such rallies shouldn't take place nor that what they were doing wasn't important. The ridiculous details of my so-called boombox plot from my earlier comment clearly illustrated that I was joking. You'd have to be beyond my basic dim qualities to pull a stupid stunt like that off!! P.S., It must be nice to live in your P.C., perfect world, Not all of us are that lucky, and not all disabled persons and fringe groups are treated as fairly as they should be. And as for Cheryl, let Mike or Cheryl fight that particular battle for herself. Where were you the other day when Cheryl
called some of her former female co-workers "BITCHES?" That kitten has claws. MEOUCH!!!

September 15, 2018 @ 1:19 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@mdoucette77
As I revealed repeatedly before, I'm on the ASD Spectrum (Aspergers) and I'm always the first
to make a joke about that subject and the mood disorders that often accompany it. That is my
truth and it is my prerogative to joke about it. I completely concur about the majority of your
comment regarding the sensitive topics that probably shouldn't be taken lightly in lieu of the
current climate, but censorship is a very complex and difficult subject. Pretty hard to take seriously
when you consider the crap that comes out of the mouth and fingers of the U.S. Tweeter-In-Chief
on a very daily basis. Here's an unsolicited suggestion for you: Write an open letter to all the African-American comedians and rappers and tell them not to use the "N-Word" or to call women "B's." See how far that gets you. Of course, you'd just probably give yourself a pat on the back and self-admire a job well done. Remember: Nobody ever said comedy was even fair or pretty.

September 15, 2018 @ 1:31 PM

mdoucette77

whatever. You questioned my reading comprehension earlier, now I'm questioning yours. Nobody made me judge, jury, and executioner. I clearly said you can tell the jokes you want to. Just be prepared to get called out for them. Not trying to censor you or make you stop, just freely expressing my displeasure with your weak attempt at humour by belittling a group. Just as I would if someone were making a joke about autism. Being the father of a child that is going through the process of being diagnosed with autism, I would find those jokes, even if they were clearly displayed as a joke, inappropriate and I would express my displeasure. Which is what I did with you. As the son of a woman that was sexually assaulted when she was younger, I find those types of jokes not funny. I don't live in a PC world, I'm just trying to make the world a better place for everyone without putting down others. You may have experienced a lot of negativity with people belittling you due to your Asperger syndrome, but don't get upset at people trying to improve the world for others just because the world hasn't been fair to you.

As I tell my students all the time, if your intentions do not match the impression the audience receives, then you are at fault for not making your intentions clear. Your intentions were to make, what seemed to you, a harmless joke at the 'take back the night' movement. The impression that you left on me was that you were belittling what they stand for. That as a male, you thought it would be humorous to joke about playing music at them (and for the record, if you really wanted to make it funny, you would have said you would've gone down there and blared The Prodigy's 'smack my bitch up'. That would have made your satire more apparent) . A better way to look at it was the incident when you tried to take chocolate bars into a concert. The bouncers intentions were to follow the club rules. No outside food or drinks. In their minds, it was harmless enforcing of the rules. The impression that you got was that this was an insult to you, and that they were wrong in not allowing you to enjoy your chocolate bar at a concert.

I'm done with this back and forth. As I've said, tell the jokes you want. I'm not going to censor you or anyone. Express yourself and tell the jokes that you want, just don't get upset when someone calls you out for it. And I didn't see what others were saying about Cheryl earlier, but I have posted in the past about people mocking her. I'll stick up for anyone that has a disability and may not be able to stick up for themselves, or not aware of what is being said about them. And that includes you too. If someone on here was mocking you specifically, or an individual with ASD, I would step in and call them out for that.

September 15, 2018 @ 2:02 PM

dale

Congrats Mike on your pledges for Terry Fox Run at $1500.00 as I knew you could do it. You must be proud of everyone who donated.
Do your best tomorrow & run for The Cure & for Terry.

September 15, 2018 @ 11:48 PM

Rob J

@dale
@TM

Great news! The TM universe remains awesome, despite a few dim stars. 'F' cancer.

September 15, 2018 @ 11:51 PM

Cheryl

My Indians clinched, goody. Yes, they will be in the World Series. Homers were by Franky Lindor, Michael Brantley, and Yonder Alonso. Awesome. They will be in the World Series and win it so anyone who wants to can come to my party the first Saturday after they win it. My Orioles and Diamondbacks lost again. That's no good. Ready for some football? My Browns and Cardinals will win today. Well, for sure I will have internet today, tomorrow and Tuesday morning. Rogers is coming at 2:00 on Tuesday afternoon to do the changeover. If I wasn't so money tight, I would have said no. I can trust Primus, but I'm going to lose them. It better be faster or Rogers will really be in for it.

September 16, 2018 @ 7:47 AM

Aidan

So Citytv re-brand themselves in 2013 to City to only re-brand back to Citytv recently. I don't know why they rebranded themselves to City in the first place. I think it was because they didn't want to only be known for their television network. But everybody I know always called it Citytv. I think the only people who ever called it City were people in the industry!

September 16, 2018 @ 7:06 PM

Dawn Keibals

I wonder at what time today the adult elected NDP MPP,S (few that they are) start pulling fire alarms,letting stick bombs off,start ordering pizzas & taxi,s (under Mr. Doug Ford's name) to Queens Park.

September 17, 2018 @ 6:46 AM

Cheryl

Football sucked yesterday. My Browns should have won, but they blew it. This sucks. The kicker kept missing field goals and extra points. That sucked. My Cardinals really sucked. They got shut out. This is no good. My Indians lost again. That's no good. Josh Donaldson is hardly doing anything. So he got a home run the other day, but otherwise just zilch and all their other players rested. My Orioles won, but my Diamondbacks lost. Tomorrow is Rogers day. I'm prepared to get really mad at them because I think my internet will be down for a while some time after 2:00 tomorrow, so I better enjoy my Primus today and tomorrow morning because then Rogers is going to take over. I hope I'm wrong. I really do. If I had lots of money, I would have just said no. The thing is that the building has a contract with Rogers.

September 17, 2018 @ 7:11 AM

Beatts

So...

Did I miss anything ?

September 17, 2018 @ 10:52 AM

@Beatts

Yes. You missed #TMLX2.

September 17, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

Rob J

@TM
@Beatts

Same.

September 17, 2018 @ 3:27 PM

Urooj Islam

It's going to be weird as hell to see Osuna pitching to Donaldson and Encarnacion in the playoffs. 2015 feels like it was 30 years ago.

Thank God Leafs/Raptors season is close because this Blue Jays season has been so dang frustrating,

September 17, 2018 @ 6:48 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Indians were off last night, but my Orioles and Diamondbacks lost. Last night sucked. Well, today is Rogers Day. There's a chance I won't be posting tomorrow. Well, I hope Rogers keeps their word and won't leave until I am satisfied, but who knows. I could have said no, but I'm retired now. I need my money to last my life time. I don't know how many more years I have to live. Primus is cheaper than Bell and I know Primus is really good, but Rogers is giving me a deal so that's why I said yes. Maybe I'll be sorry I did. Rogers better stay until they know things are working. I heard my Browns got another kicker. That's good. That kicker missed so many field goals and converts last game. My Browns should have won.

September 18, 2018 @ 6:48 AM

jj

I sold my car, without having a new one in place. Luckily I can share my mom's for now, the idea of buying a new one is so overwhelming I am kinda avoiding it. Hoping I can sort it out by October though!

September 18, 2018 @ 11:28 AM

@jj

I feel the same... the idea of buying a new car overwhelms me so I'm going to drive my current car (which I've been driving for almost 20 years) until it literally disintegrates.

I just drove it now to take my daughter to her ortho appointment and it still drives great!

September 18, 2018 @ 1:21 PM

markosaar

We're soooooooooooooooo lucky we had a cousin sell us their 2010 Mazda 3 at a steal; they needed to upgrade for their family. I was not expecting to get a car I'd actually want to drive hah. Unfortunately we had just missed out on a 2015 model, but at least we know the history of this car much better.

I really didn't know where to start. Knew what I liked, but we weren't willing to spend a tonne. We just posted about needing one on Facebook and piles of friends and family came out of the woodwork looking to sell.

September 18, 2018 @ 1:51 PM

jj

TM - Good on you for keeping it going almost 20 years! Hopefully my next car lasts me a while, or I start to earn enough where I can replace it at my fancy :P

September 18, 2018 @ 2:01 PM

jj

markosaar - I should post on FB, see if anyone is looking to sell. When I was first looking, my friend was selling a Nissan for x amount, but I wasn't willing to spend that much on it. He recently told me he ended up giving it to his cousin for way less than its value, haha.

I want something that doesn't need an emissions until 2020 at least, which is when I have to renew my sticker!

September 18, 2018 @ 2:34 PM

@jj

The emissions test has been tricky for me the last few rounds. I got a conditional pass in 2016, and was told you only get one (the condition is that you can't sell the car) but somehow I passed in 2018. So my goal is to drive this '99 Protege until June 2020.

September 18, 2018 @ 3:03 PM

jj

TM- good job!!! I am sure it will keep going til then :)!

September 18, 2018 @ 5:31 PM

Cheryl

Well, Rogers has to come back. I'm still here. Apparently the lines are old. They have to put in new cable. They have to come back on Friday. Who knows how many more times they have to come back. I mean they lied and said it wouldn't take very long. Well, they were in and out and in and out. The guy would go out and come back in. He wouldn't explain what was going on or anything, just go in and out, and then he said he needed to have a senior technician come and fix something. I mean lines are old, but Primus is working fine. Why didn't I say no? Well, my Indians won last night. Homer by Jason Kipnis. Corey Kluber won his 19th game. That's so awesome. My Orioles and Diamondbacks lost again though. That's no good.

September 19, 2018 @ 7:19 AM

andrew

@H.o.E
Cheryl will be devastated & if you look at tour dates the closest to TO is Buffalo.
Her hockey, football & baseball teams are losers, exept maybe the Cleveland BBall team. I refuse to say their other name as Jerry Howorth did for a few years.
GO fund Me Page for Cheryl to see Bob Seger in Buffalo?
MIke - congrats on your $1500 for Terry Fox run.

September 19, 2018 @ 6:11 PM

Cheryl

I heard about that farewell tour date. I can't afford it right now and I don't know how I would get to Buffalo even if I could afford it. My Indians were losing, but they had a comeback. Jason Kipnis hit a grand slam at the end. That's awesome. Yes, my Indians will win the World Series. My Orioles and Diamondbacks also won. Well, ready for some football. My Browns play tonight. Come on Browns. I need you to win. Stop missing those kicks. That sucks a lot. Rogers has to come tomorrow. Everything is working fine. I have no idea why he says the lines are old. Maybe Rogers is making stuff up. Why didn't I just say no. The lines are okay with Primus. Who knows what will happen or are they going to have to come back after Friday.

September 20, 2018 @ 6:56 AM

Rob J

@TM

Hoping to hear the "Seeing Things" theme song in the upcoming @retrontario episode.

September 20, 2018 @ 8:40 PM

@Rob J

No spoilers here!

September 20, 2018 @ 8:56 PM

Rob J

Haha! Well played, sir. I need a vision from Louis himself to get the answer. Looking forward to the episode.

September 20, 2018 @ 9:22 PM