Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 365: Buck-a-Beer

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 365In this 365th episode, Mike chats with Troy Burtch from Great Lakes Brewery about Doug Ford's Progressive Conservative Party's decision to lower the price floor to a buck-a-beer in Ontario. This episode is exactly 34:26.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Troy Burtch and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

markosaar

I see you copied & pasted the Tom Thompson entry :D

August 8, 2018 @ 12:56 PM

@markosaar

Who can blame me? Tom was a very handsome man.

August 8, 2018 @ 1:51 PM

dale

My former printing company printed many of the labels for independent brewers in the past. Muskoka & Great Lakes among them.
Great info from Troy about 1$/beer as can see less quality for those that take the challenge & accept.

August 8, 2018 @ 2:27 PM

dale

Forgot the mention that Dahlia's article about your podcasting is good - EXCEPT THAT DAVID SHOALTS WRITES FOR THE GLOBE & MAIL NOT THE SUN.

August 8, 2018 @ 2:31 PM

Rush Mike

I typically listen in my car during my daily commute...but think this one will make me thirsty ..so better listen from home with a Pompous Ass or Canuck Pale Ale.

August 8, 2018 @ 2:51 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Buck a beer may have tempted me 30 years ago, but I remember picking up Amstel and Steeler beer to go camping, just to drink in volume.

There is only a small segment I think now that would be interested , I don't drink volumes anymore, but I like a nice GLB craft beer when I do have a few.

Politicians and their empty promises and platitudes, at least Doug can say he delivers what he runs on.

I just posted up about the GLB Harry Porter I picked up a couple of weeks ago on a thread I started for my fellow Mustang club contributors.

Cheers and see you in September!

August 8, 2018 @ 3:07 PM

@Rush Mike

Are you coming to the get together on September 12?

August 8, 2018 @ 3:24 PM

@dale

There are a few minor misquotes. The chat wasn't recorded, so I think she got this story confused with one I told about Steve Simmons.

Also, Maestro wants to come back and kick out the jams, not chat. :)

August 8, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

Rush Mike

@Toronto Mike
Yes, I am planning to be there ! Looking forward to it.

August 8, 2018 @ 3:41 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

See you September 12!

August 8, 2018 @ 4:31 PM

Kiara

I don't even think I can stomach Laker, Lakeport, and the ilk these days. I get a sour stomach just thinking about it. I'm not a beer snob - if there's a case of Bud going around while helping someone move, I'm enjoying a Bud, no question. But the beer being cranked out of our craft breweries here in Ontario is INCREDIBLE and I truly enjoy trying new kinds each week. I will not support the industry being cheapened. The quality and craftsmanship are important.

We also have a public health care system, and IMO, it is imperative that alcohol, tobacco, junk food, etc are taxed and priced so as to offset the social cost to our health care system. It's not a big cost to you if you're only enjoying a handful of beers a week, so what's the big deal?

August 9, 2018 @ 8:48 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Dougie and his motley crew(!) of conservative Droogs are surely running one of the
worst Bread and circuses shitshows this province has endured since the dreaded Mike
Harris regime. You'd think he'd be a little more cognizant (doubt he knows what that word
means!!) about what a terrible idea this is based on the various substance issues his siblings
have dealt with (and they had a beaucoup of bucks(!) to fund such indulgences. Perhaps I
shouldn't even weigh-in on this highly-politicized issue as I have never been a consumer of
alcohol, but kudos to GLB for maintaining its integrity and not going after a barrel-ful(!)l of short-
term gain at the risk of potential long-term damage to their already very successful brand.

August 9, 2018 @ 9:31 AM

Douglas

The promise wasn't worth much. Maybe a dollar. But a promise kept. Still not worth much, nor is a beer that is only a dollar. Nobody ever said that a one dollar can/bottle of beer would be a decent beer, and you don't need to be any kind of beer "snob" to know that, just that the beer would cost a dollar. There was a fair amount of disapproval when the former provincial government ended buck-a-beer. How quickly and easily we forget and move on. Just about anyone in the marketing of mainstream beer brands will, if you really pry it out of them, admit that the vast majority of beer sales are driven by price, not even brand loyalty. "I'm a Brand X drinker. I have the baseball cap and t-shirt to prove it. Oh!? Brand Y is on sale? Yeah, I'll buy and drink it instead of X at that price." There is the reality of beer consumption in Canada (and the U.S. and many, many other countries). Beer is largely a commodity, an image from brand next, then comes actual flavour. "Taste" we'll leave for open discussion.
(As a former beverage alcohol industry person, I still keep tabs on the industry, the marketing in particular.)

August 9, 2018 @ 11:08 AM

Kiara

I think that what you say is true for Ford supporters, but it is not accurate of millennial beer consumption, at least. As someone who worked in food & bev until a couple years ago and who goes out a lot, I can attest that people in their late 20s and 30s are generally not buying the cheapest, but rather the most interesting. When I leave the city and head to my parents at the north end of the 905/south end of the 705, I see more...ugh, I don't want to use this term but not sure how else to say, "blue collar" beer trends where cheaper is king, but I really don't see that in the GTA for the most part.

August 9, 2018 @ 11:19 AM

Adamh

I think this new buck a beer program is misguided. Personally I don’t think targeting local craft breweries to lower their prices is constructive while ignoring the fact that the mega breweries are overpriced. . . I also agree with kiara that indulgences should be taxed to offset there social effects, IMO the government should take proper control of the beer store and better use the profits to combat social issues instead of lining the pockets of the big brewers

August 10, 2018 @ 3:55 PM

andrew

Aug. 27th is Buck A Beer Day - LOL.
Only 3 breweries so far are into this. Barley Days, Cool Brewery & Pres. Choice. None of the major brewers - Molson, Labatt's, Sleeman, etc aren't even considering it.
DoFo U blew it again. What else is new. Go & have your Pony P!$$ beer for $1.

August 27, 2018 @ 5:55 PM