Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 362: Paulie Morris

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 362In this 362nd episode, Mike chats with longtime 97.7 HTZ FM music director and radio broadcaster Paulie Morris about the station he helped build, the greats he worked alongside, why he's no longer at the station, The Tragically Hip and The Boss. This episode is exactly 2:14:35.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Paulie Morris and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jason from Sudbury

Downloading as we speak...this is gonna be a good 2 hours.

August 1, 2018 @ 2:16 PM

bsmntdwllr73

I can totally identify with Paulie Morris's thoughts about his "Heavy Metal Morris" nickname as
I've always been a big hard rock/metal fan, but I am also very far removed from the stereotypical
look of Denim and Leather (Hiya, Saxon!!), tattoos and bullet belts. The only metal concert I've
ever attended was Iron Maiden with Alice Cooper back in 2012, as I'm very intimidated of venturing
further into that particular (live) world, even though I more than have the listening cred (in spades!). Guess I should hold my breath for some kind of Yacht Rock music festival, probably a whole lot
safer!! Those folks have probably cut way back on their massive cocaine consumption, no?!?

August 1, 2018 @ 2:30 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Thank Nigel Tufnel that you finally turned the volume up on that almighty Salty Dog
track!!! My first crack at this comment was going to be a soft complaint that the volume
wasn't high enough, As for finding info 'bout this band on the Interwebs, not really all
that hard: Just go and look them up on the AllMusic sight. As for that Greta Van Fleet mention,
sorry, but not feeling them at all. That band seems like a lame fake band from "Almost Famous!!"

August 1, 2018 @ 2:47 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Obviously meant AllMusic Site (not sight!) above!!

August 1, 2018 @ 2:48 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Great episode and well worth the wait. "Nebraska" is definitely in my top two of albums by The
Boss ("Darkness on the Edge of the Town" being my other all-time fave). As for Mr. Morris's
future endeavour, I suspect it has something to do with the long-promised and overdue relaunch
of the El Mocambo brand, complete with a recording studio set up by the legendary music producer
Eddie Kramer.

August 1, 2018 @ 4:32 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Wow...that flew by. One of my favorits for sure. Had I known sooner he was coming on today I would've sent my questions in but hey its all good.

I'm still surprised at how often Springsteen comes up in your podcasts. Personally I was never a fan. To quote Paulie, "some people think he's annoying". I'm that guy. As far as I'm concerned Springsteen is over rated.
I'm not so sure age has anything to do with it. I'm 35, listen to lots of music from the 90's and 2000's, but I also enjoy Zeppelin, Floyd and Sabbath.

August 1, 2018 @ 4:50 PM

BFD

I could listen to two more hours...I was really looking forward to this episode when I heard Paulie was coming on. I started listening to HTZ-FM thirty (holy shit) years ago. When 97.7 did their 25th anniversary program in 2011 it really hit me how much this station was a part of my life. Almost all of my adult life I've been working at a job where I'm in a vehicle a good chunk of the day and 97.7 is the #1 preset, and has been since Guns N' Roses blew up. I learned how to play guitar trying to mimic the songs I heard over the airwaves. I caught KK and Paulie's Music Notes at 6 as religiously as Hockey Night In Canada or the Simpsons on Sunday nights. I had a list of silly insults to throw back at iron Mike when I would call in for the Teaser. Debauchery at Cayuga Speedway with Ben and Kerry and Rocky and everyone else on the May 2-4 weekends. All the new music I was introduced to over the years...thank you Paulie!

August 1, 2018 @ 10:41 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I remember that HTZ FM 25th anniversary show. That was pretty cool.

Hey whatever happened to Joe Cahil?

August 2, 2018 @ 5:30 AM

BFD

Cahill is selling Chryslers in St. Catharines.

August 2, 2018 @ 7:46 AM

Cambo

About time, Paulie!

Now it's time for a KK, Paulie, TM, Music Notes at 6 revival episode.

August 2, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

RS

@Cambo, Music Notes @ 6 was a huge reason why I decided to pursue a career in radio, back in the day. I would love to see KK and Paulie reunite on a future Mike'd podcast!

August 3, 2018 @ 1:56 PM

Chuck99

I found his take on the Niagara Peninsula radio market fascinating. When stations in Niagara Falls and Fort Erie were sold earlier this year, the CRTC mentioned that they had been losing money for at least five years. And yet the Commission keeps adding new stations. Country 89 in Welland was launched in 2014 and Grimsby is getting a station next year. With a high number of people listening to Toronto and Buffalo stations, it seems difficult to believe that there is enough ad revenue in Niagara to support one AM and seven FM stations.

August 7, 2018 @ 12:36 AM