Adam Ricard and Melani Mariani Gone From 102.1 the Edge, Fearless Fred Moves to Q107

There was a time when the firing of the Edge morning show would be a "stop the presses" moment around these parts. Since the cancellation of The Dean Blundell Show, the only constant at 102.1 the Edge in the mornings has been change. Fearless Fred was there for a while, Rick the Temp was there, Josie Dye was there, and most recently, Adam Ricard and Melani Mariani were there.

Corus will announce a new 102.1 the Edge morning show soon, as Adam and Mel have been let go. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Melani, but Adam was kind enough to visit me for an episode of Toronto Mike'd, and we noted that he was the longest-serving DJ still on the air at that station. Alan Cross doesn't count because he left and came back.

You can hear my chat with Adam here:

Does anyone want to guess who will be their next morning show? I'm guessing Adam Wylde because that's my go-to guess for all Toronto morning radio shows targeting younger listeners with a vacancy.

Meanwhile, Fearless Fred is moving from 102.1 the Edge to Q107. His first shift on Q is 2pm on August 13. And Weekend host Wade MacNeil has also been let go. This is a rather aggressive refresh at 102.1.

Matt

Radio has some of the worst job security. It seems people are hired to be fired.

Wonder if corus will forego a morning show on the edge like they have on Y108.

Hope they land on their feet.

August 2, 2018 @ 7:55 PM

Clearlyentranced

I'm shocked by this. Adam and Mel were my go-to every morning. I enjoyed them much more than Fearless Fred.

Like it or not, nobody can compare to Blundell. Maybe he's coming back with a new persona?

August 2, 2018 @ 9:50 PM

the brother

Breaking news: the new show will be Humble & Fred....with Jamar :D

August 2, 2018 @ 9:53 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ the brother, that is too funny!
My skin ( and ego)is too thin to have ever been in radio.

August 2, 2018 @ 10:15 PM

How about Humble and Fred and Dean with Geets Romo as the engineer.

August 2, 2018 @ 10:26 PM

If you're keeping score at home, 102.1 the Edge is currently without a morning show and without an afternoon drive show.

August 2, 2018 @ 11:30 PM

Handsome Rob

Maybe I should brush off the old resume....

Surprised by these moves though I haven’t listened to the edge in ages so???? They sure like Fredbif they keep him though move him to Q.

They really tried to keep Mel around but that didn’t last too long.

August 3, 2018 @ 12:04 AM

BPS

Looks like Fred is gone too. Q107 according to twitter.

August 3, 2018 @ 5:31 AM

Matt

Does this mean Kolter is done on Q? Or is he getting moved to another time slot?

August 3, 2018 @ 7:44 AM

Here's what we know...

Recently, Corus turfed the program directors for both Edge 102 and Q107. This was the same time they let go Andy Frost, Al Joynes and John Scholes.

One PD was hired to care for both stations. There was much speculation here (and on Toronto MIke'd) about the move to more voice tracking. Essentially, more programming that isn't live. In addition to saying goodbye to Frost, Joynes and Scholes, we knew changes were coming.

Radio changes seem to always happen around Labour Day. To clear the path for these changes, the culling of the herd seems to happen in August. Mike Stafford will tell you he takes two weeks off every August for this reason.

When the dust settles, what will Edge and Q look like? My guess is Edge will be heavily voice tracked and Q will have live DJs throughout the workday before following suit. They still have John Derringer, Joanne Wilder and now Fred Kennedy. No idea what this means for Kolter.

I'm sure this isn't anything as dramatic as a format change but merely cost cutting.

August 3, 2018 @ 7:51 AM

Kyle

Out with Kolter!

It was bad enough they removed Frost but to replace him on Sunday's with Kolter... disgusting. Not sure what annoys me more his "coming up in 3 songs i tell you..." or reusing content to talk about during the same shift.. or even worse using it 2 days later as if it is still relevant.

August 3, 2018 @ 8:11 AM

I was trying to remember a station moving out the morning show and the afternoon drive without changing formats, and I can't think of one other example.

And I can confirm the Edge is not changing formats here...

August 3, 2018 @ 8:52 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Anxiously awaiting the launch of the all-Kolter, all-the-time radio network . Living proof that
even the whiniest and most annoying of all voices can find semi-gainful temporary(?) employment
on big city radio stations!! As for the topic at hand, haven't listened to the Edge since Alan Cross
got canned the first time at the end of January in 2001. Is Live In Toronto still a thriving, going
concern? Jus' messin' wit' ya all,as I know that it's not!!! P.S., Q107 should Mos Def be re-branded as pussFM!!

August 3, 2018 @ 9:28 AM

RobG

I just can't imagine The Edge being voice-tracked for the majority of the day. It just doesn't seem...right. If there are no DJ's to enhance the listening experience, then why the hell would anyone tune in to the station? It essentially becomes nothing more than a spotify playlist with commercials.

This is what happens when corporate business-folk take control of an artistic property/medium like a TV or radio station. Idiots.

August 3, 2018 @ 9:40 AM

Dick

Format change, guess the format?

Country 102?

August 3, 2018 @ 9:42 AM

@Dick

I predict the format does not change.

August 3, 2018 @ 10:39 AM

Toddalio

I'm a fan of F Fred, and I wish him all the luck in the world at Q. Not 100% sure how his style will mesh with the Q audience though.

Was a huge fan of Adam, sorry to see him go. Best of luck to him and Melani on future ventures.

August 3, 2018 @ 10:43 AM

Carrie Joëlle

This morning show has more changes than teenagers going through puberty! I've been disappointed too often by the hosts leaving.....(Josie, Dean, Ted, Raina, Howard, Fred P, Martin, George) glad Fred is going to Q107! I listen to them at work and lately on my drive to work.

August 3, 2018 @ 10:58 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Not really surprised about Adam and Mel getting canned, the Edge hasn't had a steady morning show since Blundell. Hopefully Adam and Mel will land on their feet soon.

@Basement Dweller: "pussFM"! lol I love it!
Seriously though, Q107 should just rebrand already, to probably what I'm assuming is their Big FM fromat like they got in Barrie and other places. Cause the "Mighty Q" isn't so mighty anymore.

August 3, 2018 @ 7:24 PM

Jacob

My favourite of those recent pairings was Fred and Mel. Mel was the perfect foil for Fred's acerbic sarcasm and know-it-all attitude. You could feel him pulling his hair out.

102.1 is a bit like SNL. Voices come and go, and everyone says it was the best in the past.

August 4, 2018 @ 10:25 AM

MJ

Are they keeping Carley then? That would be a shame, she's by far the worst DJ they have.

August 4, 2018 @ 5:15 PM

mikew

I purpose a trade: Q 107 gets Fearless Fred, going to the Edge, Kolter & Jenn Valentyne.

August 5, 2018 @ 8:26 AM

Steve

No surprise here! Adam and Mel are a boring morning show. PPM has killed morning radio, PD's are afraid of tune out and in big markets mornings a not personality driven.
It would not surprise me if the edge did flip format. What's interesting is Fred's move to Q, Fred is the perfect Edge personality so this makes me wonder what's going to happen to the edge, why move Fred?

August 5, 2018 @ 8:31 PM

Midnight cowby

Oh man I hope corus entertainment is stupid enough to turn the Edge into a Peggy or Fresh. I can't believe how absolutely stupid the people making decisions are. I look forward to the fireworks if they do.

Companies like Corus entertainment are killing the radio industry, soon they will sell off all there radio properties to independent broadcasters.

August 5, 2018 @ 10:04 PM

SRebecca

Not surprised. Radio has absolutely NO security anymore. I work for myself in it part time and I'm constantly loosing and gaining clients because they are loosing their jobs or shifting gears. I've had PD's contact me with absolutely NO on air experience.

I used to live for the the Edge music. Now not really a big fan of it wasn't a big fan of the recent on air performances either. But that's just me.

August 6, 2018 @ 10:41 AM

I was fed an interesting rumour this morning that both Dean Blundell and Todd Shapiro were coming back to host the new Edge 102 mornings who.

The source of this rumour is not someone I know personally nor someone I have vetted, therefore I'm just sharing that this rumour is out there. In fact, a source I trust tells me that's simply not going to happen.

August 6, 2018 @ 2:46 PM

Michael Lange

CFNY, aka Edge 102, no longer has a morning show. Humble & Fred no longer have their SiriusXM timeslot (but still have their podcast). Just sayin'.

August 6, 2018 @ 3:30 PM

@Michael Lange

A glorious coincidence!

It's FAR more likely Dean and Todd take over mornings on 102 than Humble and Fred. H+F actually have a deal in place at a Hamilton AM station.

August 6, 2018 @ 3:42 PM

Bakker

I hope The Edge gives their morning show to “Big Kris” Bawden who is doing Mornings on Curus’ 101.1 Big FM in Barrie with Melanie Martin (They obviously see something in the kid because they named their station after him... how often does that happen?)

August 6, 2018 @ 6:06 PM

Toddalio

The truth: callsign change & format change for 102.1

CDRK - 102.1 "The Drake" - Canada's all Drake all-the-time radio station

*vomits*

August 6, 2018 @ 6:14 PM

@Toddalio

That sounds like 93.5.

And 92.5.

And 99.9.

August 6, 2018 @ 6:31 PM

Jacob

@ Steve

As Q's audience inevitably ages out of profitability, there's only so many advertisers who want 55+ men, they have to bring in new, younger listeners.

To think that Q was once a station *for* young people.

August 7, 2018 @ 12:06 PM

Quick update on the Dean and Todd rumour. I mentioned above that a good source told me they are not reuniting and hosting a show on 102.1. I've now confirmed with multiple sources that this simply is not happening. In fact, I'm pretty sure they haven't spoken in years.

So no Dean on 102.1.

August 7, 2018 @ 3:16 PM

Mississauga Bob

Someone that I know at Corus tells me that Q's morning show may not be safe right now. All options are open.

August 8, 2018 @ 5:59 AM

Mississauga Bob

August 8, 2018 @ 5:59 AM

Mississauga Bob

August 8, 2018 @ 5:59 AM

River

@Torontomike, how did Blundell’s ratings compare to Adam and Melani’s?

August 8, 2018 @ 8:51 AM

frankie

They should get rid of Jennifer V - she kills the flow of the show. Doesn't add anything to the conversation. Mind you, I guess they need a warm body there since Derringer must get about 10 weeks of holidays a year!

August 8, 2018 @ 9:43 AM

Rachelle Hill

Dean is starting to contribute content to Craig and Lucky on 94.9 The Rock in Oshawa. The Edge and Q are just to cookie cutter now. Maybe they might try and convince Greg to come back but I doubt it. He is making more down in the US and doing his voice tracking bits on stations.

August 9, 2018 @ 7:33 PM

River

The cupboards are certainly bare with respect to (some sort of quality) morning show options.
I predict, that it'll be just more of the same. A Guy/Girl in the morning, some vague trivia, some, "be the 10th caller now" to win some cheap prize, a stand up, careful not-to-offend comedy act that won't be funny and my all-time favourite, "coming up next, I'll tell you, (insert useless information here)".

August 11, 2018 @ 8:11 AM

RadioJunkie

Perhaps they will tweak the sound on Q107. I.e go a little heavier. I'm interested where they are moving Kolter. Daniel Chen will be doing evenings and weekends on Q. Maybe they are moving Kolter to the Edge. I like Kolter, I know that a lot of people don't. But he likes to use the phones, and he has fun with the listeners. His content isn't bad and his show is tight. Some announcers just sound bored, it's like they are mailing it in. The morning show on Q needs a shake up. I.e Jennifer Valentyne. Nice lady, but zzzzzzzzz.

August 11, 2018 @ 8:42 AM

Mike

I had to come to google when I realized Mel was no longer on in the morning. I really liked Mel and fearless Fred. I thought they had great chemistry when they did the morning show together. Sad to see both are now gone. I wonder what the reasons were they were all let go. I never really liked Wade. I dunno. Hope they all move onto something bigger and better.

August 15, 2018 @ 9:01 AM

Kim

Edge is horrible now. Googled to find why it's so bad and now I know. The morning show was ok, although I didn't care for the silly contests and "on the street" or whatever it's called was way better with Todd Shapiro. Will miss Wade MacNeil and Fearless Fred.

August 15, 2018 @ 4:38 PM

Grills Cheese

Man, I Googled to see what the hell was up? Yikes!! working in radio is almost as bad as working at a newspaper?!?! so many changes. just please give us a decent show either @ edge or Q! cheers!

August 15, 2018 @ 4:51 PM

BB

Really disappointed to hear that Mel, Adam, Wade and Fred are gone. I like Carly a lot, they have her doing the mornings with Ian (temporarily?) which is fine, but that leaves the rest of my workday filled with two completely unlistenable personalities - someone named Tom doing 9-2pm, and Kid Craig on afternoons. They haven't updated their website, so I assume all of this is temporary while they scramble.

August 16, 2018 @ 3:42 PM

Ryan

sad to see what the edge has become... i barely changed the dial from 2007-2012 (high school days). slowly i have been tailing away, not hearing fred the other afternoon when i did tune in was disappointing

August 17, 2018 @ 3:08 PM

Daniel Francis

What about Mad Dog and Billie in the mornings on 102.1 the Edge?

August 17, 2018 @ 7:00 PM

Erin

Well it's official. I've been tuning into 102.1 since 1992 and now it's time to find a new station. This constant firing of hosts is annoying.

August 18, 2018 @ 11:49 AM